Dundee United 2017/2018

How did his career go down hill so fast? Whilst his Scotland call ups might have been a little fortunate he was a decent player at one point, it's not like he has acted the same way as riorden/O'Conner .

His move to Bristol Rovers after leaving us seemed to destroy his career. If he had stayed up in Scotland he would maybe still be playing at a reasonable level.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Don't know about that but Houston inexplicably dropped him for that fucking bell-end Gunning. No wonder he was scunnered. 

Dunno.

IIRC he announced (to everyone and anyone that would listen) halfway through the season that he was fucking off at the end of it. 

He did not have a club or pre-contract lined up, he said that he just felt he needed a new challenge.

Transalation for me; he felt that he had outgrown United and could do better elsewhere.

In the end, he had to plump for anything that was offered to him (even after the 6 months notice he gave, and was a free agent) and ended but at BR, where, unsurprisingly he did not stand out.

Now he is delivering parcels......

Shame really that one of our 2010 cup winning team fell so sharply.

Agree with Stumigoo; reckon he'd still be playing had he stayed with us, but unfortunately his arrogance was not in any way supported by ability. (IMO)

7 hours ago, MacArab said:

Dunno.

IIRC he announced (to everyone and anyone that would listen) halfway through the season that he was fucking off at the end of it. 

He did not have a club or pre-contract lined up, he said that he just felt he needed a new challenge.

Transalation for me; he felt that he had outgrown United and could do better elsewhere.

In the end, he had to plump for anything that was offered to him (even after the 6 months notice he gave, and was a free agent) and ended but at BR, where, unsurprisingly he did not stand out.

Now he is delivering parcels......

Shame really that one of our 2010 cup winning team fell so sharply.

Agree with Stumigoo; reckon he'd still be playing had he stayed with us, but unfortunately his arrogance was not in any way supported by ability. (IMO)

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with any of that but my recollection is that he was already being eased out the door before announcing that he was leaving. Anyway, I always thought Garry was a very decent centre half at our level (as was).

28 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with any of that but my recollection is that he was already being eased out the door before announcing that he was leaving. Anyway, I always thought Garry was a very decent centre half at our level (as was).

That makes sense; if he knew he was likely to be bumped at the end of the season, seems likely he'd start making enquiries about options elsewhere. Perhaps would have been a good idea not to do so quite so publically, especially given the way things were destined to turn out for him.

At least he'll always have the memories of lifting the cup in 2010.

As for his playing capabilities, was decent enough IMO, partial to the odd brain fart now and again, but them again, who isn't?

8 minutes ago, MacArab said:

That makes sense; if he knew he was likely to be bumped at the end of the season, seems likely he'd start making enquiries about options elsewhere. Perhaps would have been a good idea not to do so quite so publically, especially given the way things were destined to turn out for him.

At least he'll always have the memories of lifting the cup in 2010.

As for his playing capabilities, was decent enough IMO, partial to the odd brain fart now and again, but them again, who isn't?

Indeed.

16 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

He was better than any centre half we have now imo.

Just brain farts and the odd screaming match with the ET lower.

Pitched in with the odd important goal as well, and never afraid to stride forward and have a ping from distance.

Wee bit of Gary Kenneth revisionism here.  [emoji38]
Half decent when playing beside an experienced partner, nothing better than that.

This is spot on. He was a fuckin bombscare for most of his time there but the season he played alongside Webster, he was terrific

A lot of over analysis of Kenneth here.

His career trajectory is nothing more than your body being less able to take a junk food and drinking every night diet as you get older.

He was still out drinking with his pals midweek (and some Friday's) all the way through his time at united.

He uses to play 7s with us on a Sunday evening or in the summer, which whilst hardly being the worst crime in the world, gives some insight into the mentality of someone who can't ditch his boyhood pals and knuckle down to the life of a pro player.

Also, he was pretty shite to begin with.

Archived