Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Being brought up British I have enough latent racism within me to worry that any foreign manager is likely to be nuts

I have a close relative who lives abroad who often accompanies the word 'British' with the word 'sensible' which is ridiculous in these times.

Csaba's interviews are a bit harum scarum though.

Just watched his ArabZone interview (which is free on the website). I really like him. He's passionate, a bit mental and has the potential for some amazing one liners (his point about Ellis being allowed to kiss his wife after 7 months was a highlight of this first interview).

Now all I'll need to do is negotiate match passes with the wife for the next few months...

58 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Just watched his ArabZone interview (which is free on the website). I really like him. He's passionate, a bit mental and has the potential for some amazing one liners (his point about Ellis being allowed to kiss his wife after 7 months was a highlight of this first interview).

Now all I'll need to do is negotiate match passes with the wife for the next few months...

Once she knows that you're describing middle aged Hungarian men as "passionate" then she will be glad to see the back of you.

How's the wee fella doing?

Once she knows that you're describing middle aged Hungarian men as "passionate" then she will be glad to see the back of you.
How's the wee fella doing?

Baby is good, starting to feel the exhaustion after the initial adrenaline getting us through the first few days! Wife is still not too great and we had another hospital visit today but it looks like she will hopefully start recovering properly now.

This could go either way I think. I looked back at the games v us in 2008/9 when he was with Hearts , the number of different high quality players at his disposal was frightening. He won't have that luxury afforded to him this season , so , as far as Scottish football is concerned , it's new ground for him to be working with a limited first team squad. That said , the inability of both St Mirren and Dunfermline to kick on when either could have opened a considerable gap at the top this season means that the league is still there for the taking for any club that can put together a decent run of results.

43 minutes ago, billyg said:

This could go either way I think. I looked back at the games v us in 2008/9 when he was with Hearts , the number of different high quality players at his disposal was frightening. He won't have that luxury afforded to him this season , so , as far as Scottish football is concerned , it's new ground for him to be working with a limited first team squad. That said , the inability of both St Mirren and Dunfermline to kick on when either could have opened a considerable gap at the top this season means that the league is still there for the taking for any club that can put together a decent run of results.

Well, it's all relative isn't it. At Hearts he perhaps had the third best squad in the division. You could argue that at United he's in an even more favourable position.

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Until you realise that's actually only 14 months.

I, for one, welcome our new Not John Hughes overlord.

It says on the website May 2019.

Anyway, not John Hughes is definitely a decent appointment.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It says on the website May 2019.

Anyway, not John Hughes is definitely a decent appointment.

Fair enough. 19 months is a bit riskier.

And I'd go as far as to say not John Hughes is the best appointment we could have made, with Mr Laszlo being a very good, if tricky to spell, addition.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

I think this is a good point. We haven't started the season well, although we do have the biggest budget in the league. Despite the bad start, we are level on points with the league leaders. Had someone made a properly good start to the season we might already be in a bit of bother, but it will help the new manager no end that we aren't having to play catchup.

Archived