Dundee United 2017/2018

Ray actually loved United more than most DABS  yet he gets treated like a pervy hollywood director from those DABS while the mercenary  players get to carry on regardless.  Makes no sense whatsoever. 

Ah, the same mercenaries that he brought in? Cracking story mate

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Ray actually loved United more than most DABS  yet he gets treated like a pervy hollywood director from those DABS while the mercenary  players get to carry on regardless.  Makes no sense whatsoever. 

The same in every industry, those in charge go first. McKinnon isn't very good at his job and is rightfully being relieved of his duties as a result.

I can't really find any enthusiasm to argue against this. Ordinarily I would think that he deserved more time. It's a tough job (not United in particular but management generally), last two games I watched prior to yesterday we were actually pretty good (missed the Livi game) and fundamentally I think  people should be given  time. But .. by all accounts we were garbage last week and we certainly were yesterday.

The decision to chuck Durnan up front and go with a Maltesers in the box formation with a full 30 minutes to go was Hegarty/ Brewster levels of desperation. If the risk of keeping McKinnon was that we'd simply have a poor season then I'd say swallow it and let's see what he can do but this is obviously a more important season than most.

Disappointed for Ray, who I think may well be a decent manager and seems a decent guy, but not greatly disappointed with the decision. 

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

The same in every industry, those in charge go first. McKinnon isn't very good at his job and is rightfully being relieved of his duties as a result.

Apart from ...  erm ...  almost every other industry , especially the public sector who get rid of the underlings and do their utmost to keep those in charge. 

My point is that the underlings who are probably paid a great deal more than Ray let him down and still keep their jobs.   No wonder football is fucked . 

Apart from ...  erm ...  almost every other industry , especially the public sector who get rid of the underlings and do their utmost to keep those in charge. 
My point is that the underlings who are probably paid a great deal more than Ray let him down and still keep their jobs.   No wonder football is fucked . 

Good use of the condescending ‘erm’ in your post. I’ll bow to your superior intellect.

8 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The fate of the players will depend on the next manager but I don't think McKinnon's fate was caused by any lack of effort from the players. Lack of ability from some but more than that it looked like a lack of a coherent strategy. That's down to the manager.

The fate of the players will depend on the next manager but I don't think McKinnon's fate was caused by any lack of effort from the players

I can tell you that the players have stopped playing for him. That comes from one of the regular first team players

Eta - whether that is in regards to effort or the fact the players lost faith is a different story

7 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Are we just going to adopt the strategy of appointing whoever was last in charge of Raith Rovers? It's almost worth it just to see the reaction when we employ Barry Smith this time next year.

3 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Are we just going to adopt the strategy of appointing whoever was last in charge of Raith Rovers? It's almost worth it just to see the reaction when we employ Barry Smith this time next year.

You need to get Gary Locke first in that case ;)

On 27/06/2017 at 00:44, Granny Danger said:

The quality, or at least perceived quality, of the signings so far have exceeded my expectations.

The issue for me is whether McKinnon is capable of getting the best out of the squad that we will have.  Based on the performances (team and individual), tactics, formation and team selection of last season I am not convinced that he is.

I'll leave this here.

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Anyone that's watched us this season will know that he was way out of his depth. Not sure why you feel the need to defend him.

What are you talking about? His job was to get the best out of his 'underlings' and he was incapable of doing that with the best resources in the league at his disposal. He had more than a year and has accumulated a decent squad but still we're showing signs of regression. By your logic no manager should ever be sacked because it's his players who have let him down.
It's also nothing to do with the public sector, it's a business which needs to be as successful and well supported as possible in order to keep its doors open.
A bizarre argument.

7 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

What are you talking about? His job was to get the best out of his 'underlings' and he was incapable of doing that with the best resources in the league at his disposal. He had more than a year and has accumulated a decent squad but still we're showing signs of regression. By your logic no manager should ever be sacked because it's his players who have let him down.
It's also nothing to do with the public sector, it's a business which needs to be as successful and well supported as possible in order to keep its doors open.
A bizarre argument.

As I said , this is how football is fucked.  If you are employed as an underling for a business of any type and you fail to do your job , you ( not your manager ) undergo a series of warnings before being punted.  

What chance does a football manager have when the players he took on in good faith fail to deliver,  safe in the knowledge that they won't even be questioned over their performance ?   The following manager then has the task of working with these players hoping they won't do the same to him . If that is the way successful businesses run then god help them . Players should be held as responsible for failure as the manager and the gullible fans should let them know about it.  Contracts should be drawn up to factor in such failure. 

Archived