Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

No far more recently.  I left the Labour Party about 22 years ago though I'm struggling to see the connection tbh.

We all make errors of judgement.

Anyway here's the Fed grandstanding again. Hopefully it means they are completely out of the loop now.

The Committee last night discussed in considerable detail the offer to rejoin the Supporters Liaison Group (SLG) which you made on behalf of the Club at our meeting on Thursday 10 August.  Based on this discussion and the views of a significant cross section of our Members I now have to inform you that our decision is not to take up the place offered.

This decision was made for a number of reasons, including:

The SLG we presume wishes to portray a "United" front between the current Board and the fans, but sadly we do not think this would be a true reflection of the current situation based on feedback we regularly receive from Members.

The current Board of Directors, of which you are an associate member, has taken our Club from a successful footballing position in the Scottish Premier division to our second season in the Scottish Championship.  A reign of stewardship we would hope you and all Board members are very concerned about.  We realise, as you have informed us, that the decisions made by the Club over this period have been taken by the Chairman and the full Directors of the Club and as such we would welcome the opportunity to meet the Chairman and full Directors on a regular basis to ask the questions our Members (the fans) would like answered.

The problems within our Club are considerable, including:

Continuing weekly losses leading to potential cashflow problems.  
The long time promise of investment in the Club to ease those cashflow problems are after 2 years still no further forward.
Continuing rumours in relation to ground sharing discussions with Dundee FC. 
Declining attendances both home and away.
Concerns with the general governance and management of the Club including the Clubs Youth Development System.

We feel these are extremely important issues and vital to the future well being of Dundee United Football Club and feel as an organisation we have a responsibility to our Members, and indeed the wider United fan base, to continue to ask the Club questions on these matters on their behalf.  As an Associate Director Colin, you have admitted in the past that the only people who can discuss those matters fully are the Chairman and full Directors of DUFC and again we would request the opportunity to do so at the earliest opportunity.  

The composition of the SLG, whereby a group such as ours which receives regular feedback from our Members on buses travelling to away games being afforded the same input (a vote) as an independent member (selected via interview by the Club) who has no accountability to any of the supporters via a democratic process is one which we do not think is good governance.

We also feel a Club Liaison group must be 100% objective, impartial and unbiased and there is a growing perception amongst our Members that this is not how the current SLG are viewed and the Federation Committee feel that those are traits that must be adhered to not just for the Federation's own credibility but more importantly for the good of Dundee United Football Club. 

Further to last month's  meeting with yourself and another Associate Director, Mr Dorward, we again asked if the Club could look at the ticketing and cash gate policy at home games, which we as an organisation get a lot of negative feedback about. You were both kind enough to say you would go back to the Club and review this and let us know the outcome of this review.

We have had no response from yourselves yet.  However, ArabTRUST informed their Members 2 or 3 weeks ago, noting both our discussion and request and The Club's decision to keep the cash gates and ticketing as existing.

The decision although disappointing is one thing, but for The Club not to inform us of their decision and indeed inform others, is we feel disrespectful to both to our Committee and Members.  A further disappointment occurred at our last meeting with yourself and David Dorward when it was suggested to us that if we chose not to rejoin the SLG there would be no access to the Chairman and full Directors.  This followed our AGM in July, when a prominent ArabTRUST Board Member stated clearly that if the Federation did not join the SLG, he had been informed by an official Club representative that there would be no access to the Chairman or full Directors of Dundee United Football Club.  We find this wholly unacceptable to the members of the Federation of Dundee United Football Clubs.

As we have said the Club is probably in the worst financial position (no overdraft facility to help smooth unforeseens) and worst football position (second season in the Championship) that anyone of us can remember. We therefore believe we would be failing our Members if we attend the SLG and the associated "spin" which has surrounded this as portraying "one big happy family" with pictures of representatives, senior staff and associate directors being published when in truth we believe the actions or lack of these, by certain individuals and groups, in the past has contributed to our current position.               

Finally we hope you can appreciate our views, albeit you may not agree with these as is every individual's right and also acknowledge that the examples provided were merely current and not personal.  As always, we as a Committee will continue to back the team (home and away) and positively encourage our members to do the same by backing the team at all times.

Wow. Some bits look like they've been written by a 12 year old.

Between them and Fans United im starting to get bored of the continual pops at Thompson and the Directors. They should maybe pitch in together and buy the club.

Im not saying they should be happy but all these pish statements and the continual squealing for meetings isnt going to get investors hot under the collar for a piece of the club.

He's absolutely shite and a total insufferable moron. Almost literally anyone else.

Got Falkirk promoted and took them to Scottish cup final, took Hibs into Europe for first time (in x number of years) and won Scottish cup with ICT - but shite right enough...hate when managers are successful, its insufferable!

Got Falkirk promoted and took them to Scottish cup final, took Hibs into Europe for first time (in x number of years) and won Scottish cup with ICT - but shite right enough...hate when managers are successful, its insufferable!

You appear to have neglected to mention what he did at his last club. Any particular reason for that?

11 hours ago, MeadowArab said:

If MacKinnon were to go, I think it's possible that someone like Dave Bowman or Christian Dailly might be appointed on an interim basis. I quite like the sound of Russell Latapy, although he is fairly untested.

We need someone with a bit of experience.  That last thing we need if (when) McKinnon goes is some sort of fucking experiment.  

You appear to have neglected to mention what he did at his last club. Any particular reason for that?

No particular reason, I’m not saying Hughes is the only option but I do not buy into the man being a moron with a poor track record like some on here - when he clearly isn’t.

No. But it was eleventy million times better than the crimes against football we've witnessed this season so far.

When the ball was moving from feet to feet it was decent. Unfortunately, we dont seem to have anyone in defence who can pass a football properly.

Robson, Edge and Durnan are incapable of short forward passes. Its either sideways or hoofed. Murdoch is marginally better but thats not saying hes very good.

On 9/21/2017 at 23:07, invergowrie arab said:

I'm down the middle with Thompson.

Performed miracles to steady the ship financially and at the same time improve the infrastructure around the club to have us playing the best football, with best squad and best youth system since peak McLean.

Unfortunately he is also an arrogant b*****d with a chip on his shoulder about his "inheritance" and has had an attitude that no good deed he has done should go unrewarded.

I don't know what McNamara had over him but he basically broke him. What McNamara and pals got away with was a disgrace and their contracts unbelievable for an untested management team. It was a serious failure of leadership at the club and one that the board and wider family have to share culpability for.

The idea fans should hound him out is an utter nonsense. Again I would like to see him gone but the replacement needs to be right for the club. I have no truck with the utter brain donors in the fed and AT but I think the new supporters body looks like a positive step as they are actively encouraging intelligent people and formed in Frews which is where all sensible Arabs and Jim Spence drink.

What was it McNamara got away with? I know about him getting a percentage of transfer fees; but I personally think that's a good deal for all parties although I appreciate how others can see a conflict of interest there.

4 hours ago, thommohawk said:

What was it McNamara got away with? I know about him getting a percentage of transfer fees; but I personally think that's a good deal for all parties although I appreciate how others can see a conflict of interest there.

The times he and his cronies did turn up to take training they were usually pished. Mostly Jackson and Donnelly but rumours were they were all at it.

Seemingly they had a run in with someone at the club, Mcnamara was told to sort them out or they were getting sacked. Mcnamara said if they go, i go. This was just before the Tim Two when we were flying high in the league.

By the end, supposedly Mcnamara and Thompson werent on speaking terms due to the disrespect Mcnamara showed to everyone at the club too. Thought he was too big for United while we were rapidly slipping into the Abyss with him at the helm. Hence why Thompson gave him the famous letter of sackage after getting humped by St. Johnstone i think it was?

They are the rumours i heard. I wouldnt be surprised if there were alot more.

Allegedly.

When Stephen Thompson took over he continued the plan of giving Craig Levein the freedom of Tannadice. Because Levein was professional and did things properly it meant that behind the scenes we were in a really strong place. Unfortunately he allowed McNamara to have the same influence and despite a decent start he, Donnelly and Jackson started taking the piss which left us in a total mess as Jackie burned bridges with a lot of good people and allowed the Campbell thing to get out of hand. 

Archived