Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/510246/dundee-united-defender-paul-quinn-suffers-heart-scare/

"Patrick N’Koyi is still sidelined with a hamstring problem, James Keatings suffered a dead leg in a bounce game on Monday, Scott Fraser’s is having his troublesome foot scanned again and Billy King also has a knock."

So that's two of our three strikers, one of our first choice wingers, and our backup winger all out for Saturday.

We've basically just lost most of what little pace that we had.

How much did we lose last seson? Was it 1.5 million from not being in the premiership? So that times 3 at least.

And you can be assured that the calibre of manager he will be replaced by will waltz through the league to the title?

I'm disappointed with the form at the moment but there are plenty of excellent managers that could have been binned after a sticky start to their career. I'm not saying Ray will turn out to be that but this is only his second season at a relatively high level - I think we would be advised to allow him to learn from his mistakes.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

And you can be assured that the calibre of manager he will be replaced by will waltz through the league to the title?

I'm disappointed with the form at the moment but there are plenty of excellent managers that could have been binned after a sticky start to their career. I'm not saying Ray will turn out to be that but this is only his second season at a relatively high level - I think we would be advised to allow him to learn from his mistakes.

Will he learn from his mistakes though? I'm not convinced he will although would love to be proved wrong.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

15 months to learn? Plus a year at Raith in the league too? No evidence of learning has been indicated by Raymondo to me anyway.

Its not so much poor form, its poor constantly. This is our way and level of play. Its shite.

If, for example, Owen Coyle took over, would he do better with this squad? What about George Burley or Alex Mcleish? Guys that might take a stab at it to get careers back on track? Like how it worked for Levein. 

Im not saying they would jump at the job but stranger things have happened.

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'm disappointed with the form at the moment....

"So Mr Mongoose, you've lost your job, been scammed of your life savings, your house has burned to the ground and you'd forgotten to renew your insurance and your wife has left you; how do you feel?"

"Mildly disappointed."

"So Mr Mongoose, you've lost your job, been scammed of your life savings, your house has burned to the ground and you'd forgotten to renew your insurance and your wife has left you; how do you feel?"
"Mildly disappointed."

My wife was in the house at the time and we hadn't forgotten to renew her life insurance policy.

10 hours ago, GrantB878 said:

What's the argument against Hughes? And who else would be in the running?

I'd like to see McKinnon binned but not for Hughes.  As to who is available I don't have a definitive answer but I don't have the resources of ST to find out.  I'd settle for someone with a bit of experience who hasn't fucked it up elsewhere.

As an aside, this might be the last season that the fans give the United board a free ride.  Last season and this season sales of season tickets have held up well despite dropping a league and prices not being reduced.  Not sure it will happen for a third season in this league.

51 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Is there not a bit of a pattern with your managers? You seem to turn them all to shite. Maybe the problem is higher up the chain? 

You're going to be in trouble on this thread with quite a few of the regulars if you are even remotely suggesting United fans should put any sort of pressure on Stephen Thompson to sell up.  Still plenty on here that think he's not made too many mistakes.  

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

You're going to be in trouble on this thread with quite a few of the regulars if you are even remotely suggesting United fans should put any sort of pressure on Stephen Thompson to sell up.  Still plenty on here that think he's not made too many mistakes.  

Who are they?

I think most fans on here recognise that Stephen Thompson has made a few errors when appointing managers and keeping managers for too long. That for me is his biggest failing (that and letting the youth system get totally ruined). The other issue about him "selling up" is a slightly different issue but again most fans are happy for some kind of change at boardroom level but would rightly need to be reassured as to who actually took over. 

Archived