Dundee United 2017/2018

I can't see what Ray is trying to do. We sign 2 wingers, which we were crying out for, then play them as inside forwards in the 3 behind a lone striker.

We play long balls up to a small striker or diagonal balls in behind full backs to nobody because the wingers are too deep and central. 

We play 2 central midfielders in holding roles at home against part time teams when both are capable of going box to box and adding an attacking threat.

For a guy that apparently got the highest scores out of all Scottish coaches from Largs there isnt any evidence of a coherent plan or any coaching.  I still think we have the best squad in the division but we are demonstrating that it just doesn't working sticking 11 guys out that either don't understand or can implement the game plan.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You're very quiet these days Sarto, what's your take on things?

Life getting in the way.

Long term, I don't see how McKinnon can continue tbh. He talks a good game, and I like him on a personal level (and really liked him as a player) so I don't feel good about saying it, but unless he starts to display a tactical acumen and an ability to change games we haven't seen so far, he's toast. A huge percentage of the fans want rid, and once that's the case it's almost impossible to retrieve the situation. Even if we do contrive to go up this season (and that doesn't seem likely), I couldn't see him lasting too long at Premiership level.

I can't see him being sacked in the short term though, unless things get really bad. Not really Thompson's style to be so trigger happy, and I'm not sure we can afford to sack him anyway.

I remember Mcall and Chisholm. I also remember Heagarty and Brewster etc.

They were shite. No doubt. But Ray is in year two in the Championship with the biggest budget. He has players who are "on paper" better than most other teams have.

We are struggling to score, (not beat, but score) against with all due respect, part time teams. His tactics are honestly baffling. The football is truly awful. Worse than Brewsters IMO.

Those other managers were in the top league playing bigger and better teams. He talks better in interviews than most of the named lot but its wind and pish. 

Who was worse, and why?

I would say Brewster is on a par. He talked a very good game and made lots of little aesthetic improvements to the club that still are used today (quotes on walls, pictures of past glories etc) but tactically he was atrocious. Brewster only won 3 out 30 games which suggests how bad he was on paper. Chisholm and Hegarty were both shite but in a totally uninspiring way. Very negative coaches with an old fashioned approach way out of touch with the players (similar with Alex Smith IMO). Ian McCall was a funny one because we spent an incredible amount of money and we were shit but at least there was the lottery of being entertaining and shit at the same time. There were more than a few 3-2, 3-3 games so at least you were entertained. 

The worst thing I can say about McKinnon at the moment is that we are so utterly boring to watch. My first baby is due in less than six weeks and despite promising myself to go to every game before he is born I might chuck it early and then leave it for a few months which should really annoy me but actually at the moment it doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

I just cant see how Mckinnon is a better manager than any of them though. On par with Brewster fair enough. I could go with that. Joint worst manager ever.

The boring comment is also accurate and probably part of the frustration. Throw in the negative tactics ala Smith and hes looking like a blend of Brewster and Smith. 

But Brewster was the guy that signed Darren Dods and Noel Hunt which in itself means hes slightly better :lol: and you at least knew what kind of shite you were getting with Smith. 

Either way, if nothing changes and hes our manager at the end of this month, crowds will begin to regularly drop below 5000. 

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Either way, if nothing changes and hes our manager at the end of this month, crowds will begin to regularly drop below 5000. 

I warned you lot about this but was shot down in flames by old Danger.

I've been vocally supportive of McKinnon for a while, but I looked at his Wikipedia page there and saw he was contracted for 3 years, not 2, and felt an overwhelming sense of sadness and dread wash over me. I can't see the team improving at all in the next 4-5 games which I think is the maximum Thompson would give him, he isn't stupid and will know we need to replace well in advance of Christmas if any effect is to help our chances of promotion. He will also be shitting himself by the prospect of plummeting gates and the ever more likely scenario that we won't get promoted which I think will make him trigger happy here. Really disappointed that this hasn't worked out, but the performances are utterly ghastly and have been for too long.

Perhaps the first thing you should do is ban McDonald from doing his media work. He's never off the radio, must be a distraction from his main job. We had the same issue with Thommo, his performances suffered as his media work increased.

18 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Perhaps the first thing you should do is ban McDonald from doing his media work. He's never off the radio, must be a distraction from his main job. We had the same issue with Thommo, his performances suffered as his media work increased.

I know, he should be training in the evening like all other footballers

Archived