Dundee United 2017/2018

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Sending someone to watch the opposition once would be fine at higher levels, since the amount of video footage available for Premiership games would allow analysts (do we have any) to sit and trawl through, and then the scout/AM/Ray himself would only need to see them once to confirm.

It's almost as if we've stuck to the structure, but forgotten that we have pretty much lost all access to the extra data.

As far as I know we don't have any data analysts at the club and in terms of video analysis we only use the footage after the fact so there is none that we use before each game (apart from maybe goals from the last time we played that particular team). 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, stumigoo said:

As far as I know we don't have any data analysts at the club and in terms of video analysis we only use the footage after the fact so there is none that we use before each game (apart from maybe goals from the last time we played that particular team). 

This annoys me. Not just with us, but football in general.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

This annoys me. Not just with us, but football in general.

It is shocking. There are so many good sources of information out there, even amateur guys just doing it online. I follow a couple on Twitter and I think it is a disgrace that clubs are not utilising it more. There must be so many data students or sports students who would do this stuff on a freelance basis and it might make a big difference in certain games. I remember reading about someone who was (I think) at either Stranraer or possibly Stenhousemuir who was doing data analysis and ended up down at Brentford as a key part of their scouting and analyst team.

Scottish football is generally pretty shit so teams should be looking for any little extra bit of help they can get.

1 minute ago, stumigoo said:

It is shocking. There are so many good sources of information out there, even amateur guys just doing it online. I follow a couple on Twitter and I think it is a disgrace that clubs are not utilising it more. There must be so many data students or sports students who would do this stuff on a freelance basis and it might make a big difference in certain games. I remember reading about someone who was (I think) at either Stranraer or possibly Stenhousemuir who was doing data analysis and ended up down at Brentford as a key part of their scouting and analyst team.

Scottish football is generally pretty shit so teams should be looking for any little extra bit of help they can get.

Other sports (and even some schools) use sites like coachlogic which allow the players and coaches to go and do it themselves - as long as you have the video, you can do pretty much any type of analysis you want. I'm not sure if it's still in place, but the SRU had an agreement with clubs that they would all make the match footage available to each other.

Football is so far behind in terms of "sports science", which they still see as having one kebab instead of 4 after running a lap of the pitch for training instead of up and down the stand.

So this is completely out of context with the rest of the comments, but I thought I'd add this little story in....

During the summer I was travelling and found myself on the German/Austrian border. I was stopped at a rest stop and this car pulled up next to me. They were all Greek lads driving from Netherlands to Greece - fair play to them I say. Anyway, long story short we got talking and when they asked where I was from I mentioned Scotland to which there were whoops of joy shouted from my new friend and his travelling companions. Then they explained to me, they were all fans of Ionikos and their favourite player was (you've probably guessed) Craig Brewster. One guy even had a Brewster/Ionikos tattoo. These guys were in their early 20s so no idea why they had such a stiffy for Brewster as he'd have played and left by the time these guys were toddlers but they did fucking love them. They then went on to talk about Dundee United, the strips, the players, the ground and their general place in Scottish football. Thanks to things like Fifa, Football Manager and (of course) the Internet, I'd say we are all far more educated about foreign clubs and their relevant players, but these guys certainly knew their stuff (well for Greek guys living in Netherlands, anyway).

So, again, sorry for the out of context story, just thought I'd add it to the thread. Your league campaign might be stuttering a little but at least you know you have a small pocket of avid Greek fans touring Europe talking up the Arabs and, of course, Craig Brewster.

Surprised that you lot don't have a Data Analyst whilst the "dinosaur" Tommy Wright utilises one.

As a neutral I know your club are very big into scouting opponents and video analysing.

1 minute ago, Dynamo 2013 said:

Your information is wrong. Believe me when you've sat next to the guys at opposition grounds as often as me you'd be convinced. End of...

I know for a fact we have one guy who scouts opposition on regular basis and goes to see them the week before we play them. I don't know of anyone else who does this for our club. 

1 minute ago, Dynamo 2013 said:

Couple of young guys do the video analysing as well covering different parts of the country.

If that is true then fair enough, I had previously been told that we had our one opposition scout but that nobody based at the club was doing the analysis stuff. Sounds like these guys are maybe more freelance or work out with the club? Either way I think our pre-match analysis, or at least the use of the data is obviously missing something (or McKinnon doesn't know what to do with it).

Just now, bridge of allan bairn said:

sounds familiar

Next week should be an amazing spectacle of football. Given that both sets of fans now want their managers gone this is absolutely a stick on for a draw so that the pain continues for all of us.

The only positive is that we're only 2 points off the top, behind teams who have by all accounts played well this season while we have been terrible. Unfortunately there are no signs that we're likely to improve any time soon. I suspect we will contnue to plod along like this, staying 'in touch' with the leaders while not improving, but doing just enough to keep McKinnon in a job.

Archived