Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ain't calling for McKinnon to get sacked, but I can't honestly see him being around all that much longer. He's had money, he's had time, and we seem to be as shite as ever.

It feels like we are on a long, slow deterioration which ends sometime in November with a McKinnon sacking. Probably after a defeat to Brechin

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

After numerous years of barely making any games but still shelling out, I finally gave my season ticket up this year.

I'm not even bothered that it barely bothers me :(

Same, though you lasted one season longer then me.

12 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Atrocious. On a serious note, that first half performance from Jamie Robson was one of the worst ive seen from a professional footballer. I was hoping someone would euthanise him at half time

He improved in the second half, I'll cut him some slack because he's still a young lad learning his trade.

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

After numerous years of barely making any games but still shelling out, I finally gave my season ticket up this year.

I'm not even bothered that it barely bothers me :(

If we don't go up this season I can see a lot of folk walking away.  I think the support has been quite loyal since our d motion but it won't last.

I'm a wee bit surprised by some of the comments about McKinnon because I was calling for his head at the end of last season and seemed a lone voice.  My concern is that if he is not the guy that we don't wait to late to change it as we did with McNamara.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

He improved in the second half, I'll cut him some slack because he's still a young lad learning his trade.

If we don't go up this season I can see a lot of folk walking away.  I think the support has been quite loyal since our d motion but it won't last.

I'm a wee bit surprised by some of the comments about McKinnon because I was calling for his head at the end of last season and seemed a lone voice.  My concern is that if he is not the guy that we don't wait to late to change it as we did with McNamara.

I think he got a bit of leeway because he had to sort out the complete shambles that McNamara and Mixu had left. Unfortunately, at the moment it's hard to tell if we have improved or regressed.

I think he got a bit of leeway because he had to sort out the complete shambles that McNamara and Mixu had left. Unfortunately, at the moment it's hard to tell if we have improved or regressed.

I genuinely think that the squad of players we have are more than capable of getting promoted however not under his stewardship. The sooner we make a change, the better

ETA - forgot about Biggies remarks. Not too surprising given hes a complete pap

Just now, bobbycoxblue said:

Not sure if it was intended to read that way to be honest Sarto. I'm sure biggie can clear up the confusion.

That was my initial response, I originally thought it was meant to read as something else.

3 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

That was my initial response, I originally thought it was meant to read as something else.

It may have, but he certainly didn't correct himself with his follow-up

5 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

The bully boy/thug gets no respect from me. Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

I genuinely think that the squad of players we have are more than capable of getting promoted however not under his stewardship. The sooner we make a change, the better.

Yeah I think we have decent squad that McKinnon has put together but no obvious tactics or organisation.  

We were too slow today, players taking too many touches on the ball and, inexplicably, we still seem unable to retain possession from a throw in.  

At least he changed it reasonably early on unlike at Paisley where he just appeared bewildered.

McKinnon, has to go now. We have arguably the best squad in the league yet still remain so fragile - in saying that there is not much available in the market to replace him.

Starting Edge instead of Durnan was a strange one for me, I feel Quinn could have a better impact or Durnan's game.

Something that has become more apparent this season (and in the tail end of last) is our lack of awareness as to how other teams set up and play. We have been tactically out thought by every side we have faced this season (apart from maybe Caley on the the opening day). We scraped a couple of results but Brechin, St.Mirren and Dumbarton have all shown that from a tactical point of view we are pretty clueless. The reliance seems to be "we have the best players so we will just put them out there and see what happens". There is no clear direction at free kicks, corners and (most infuriatingly) throw-ins (both defensively and offensively). There is no pattern to our play other than a few sideways passes and then a long punt to our small wide players or strikers. There are no runners off the ball, nobody coming close to start a quick passing move and nobody willing ti take responsibility.  

Patrick N'Koyi was interviewed by ArabZone at the end of the week. He was asked the question "do you know much about Dumbarton and how they play?". His answer? "I don't know anything about how they play". This is a day or two before we play them and you haven't been working all week on things that counter how they play? That kind of thing I find really annoying. I know for a fact we send one guy to see an opposition once and that is the week before we play them. That is it. 

I'm sure McKinnon, Ellis and the rest put on decent sessions during the week (they all have their badges) but it seems like when it comes to game management and preparation we are completely missing the point. We also don't seem to have a set of players who play with any real urgency or desire, which is a basic requirement. 

Just now, stumigoo said:

Something that has become more apparent this season (and in the tail end of last) is our lack of awareness as to how other teams set up and play. We have been tactically out thought by every side we have faced this season (apart from maybe Caley on the the opening day). We scraped a couple of results but Brechin, St.Mirren and Dumbarton have all shown that from a tactical point of view we are pretty clueless. The reliance seems to be "we have the best players so we will just put them out there and see what happens". There is no clear direction at free kicks, corners and (most infuriatingly) throw-ins (both defensively and offensively). There is no pattern to our play other than a few sideways passes and then a long punt to our small wide players or strikers. There are no runners off the ball, nobody coming close to start a quick passing move and nobody willing ti take responsibility.  

Patrick N'Koyi was interviewed by ArabZone at the end of the week. He was asked the question "do you know much about Dumbarton and how they play?". His answer? "I don't know anything about how they play". This is a day or two before we play them and you haven't been working all week on things that counter how they play? That kind of thing I find really annoying. I know for a fact we send one guy to see an opposition once and that is the week before we play them. That is it. 

I'm sure McKinnon, Ellis and the rest put on decent sessions during the week (they all have their badges) but it seems like when it comes to game management and preparation we are completely missing the point. We also don't seem to have a set of players who play with any real urgency or desire, which is a basic requirement. 

Sending someone to watch the opposition once would be fine at higher levels, since the amount of video footage available for Premiership games would allow analysts (do we have any) to sit and trawl through, and then the scout/AM/Ray himself would only need to see them once to confirm.

It's almost as if we've stuck to the structure, but forgotten that we have pretty much lost all access to the extra data.

Archived