Dundee United 2017/2018

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I reckon that by the end of September we will have a clear idea if Ray can get the best out of the players we have.  I'm not sure what will happen if it looks like we can't mind you.

I dont think there will be many excuses left by then either.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

No. My only concern would be spending more money sacking someone to go through the same pointless process again and again.

I can understand that concern, I really can; but the corollary to that is continuing with someone when it has become apparent that they are not up to the job.

I'm not suggesting that we're there yet but I don't want to get to the point of no return as we did with McNamara.

On 29/08/2017 at 19:58, Granny Danger said:

Surely the important think is to be able to change formation if necessary, and having options on the bench to allow this.

I am reading this with interest and am somewhat surprised. This was one of McKinnons biggest strengths when managing the Rovers, making subs and tactical changes when things weren't going well and more often than not they worked. 

13 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

I am reading this with interest and am somewhat surprised. This was one of McKinnons biggest strengths when managing the Rovers, making subs and tactical changes when things weren't going well and more often than not they worked. 

I remember thinking when McKinnon took over that his biggest hurdle would be that the United chairman seems to resent being the United chairman. That attitude must trickle down. Just look at the number of previously decent managers who have failed miserably. Brechin used to play us off the park in the seaside league. 

On 29/08/2017 at 19:58, Granny Danger said:

Surely the important think is to be able to change formation if necessary, and having options on the bench to allow this.

The St Mirren game was a classic example.  Even without having a big striker in the squad, we should have brought on N'Koyi for Flood at half time, dropped Stanton further back and played a 4-4-2.  It may have allowed us to get at St Mirren in the way our starting formation wasn't.

I wasn't at the game so couldn't comment as to what was needed, but of course flexibility is needed.

Sticking two up top may have helped, it may have hindered. My point was merely that people seem to have a pathological obsession with the 442 formation, when there are often far more important factors to consider when attempting to win a football game.

3 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Lester Piggot? He's a retired octogenarian  jockey. Not sure we'd be 'better off' with him at all. Completely different sport for a start.

He wouldn't last long fellow.

17 minutes ago, GrantB878 said:

Any intel on the new striker ?

Well all the scouts that live on United's Twitter and Facebook feeds seem to think that he is rubbish. They have thoroughly scouted him after trying to find his Wikipedia page and by using the formula of "well I've never heard of him so he must be shite".

Archived