Dundee United 2017/2018

Yeah could be a bit of both. Had a look at the goals and it's noticeable that the midfield aren't tracking back. You watch any team that comes to tannadice and they pack the box and defend as a team. Have our lot been instructed to wait and hit on the counter , or can they not be bothered as it's "someone else's job" to defend. They need to buck their ideas up pronto.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt you were so pedestrian on Saturday in the build up. Centre backs continually with the ball passing it about but nobody in midfield wanting it and full backs not wanting to drive on with it past defenders. Most times it became lump to McDonald who couldn't hold it or win via the 3 CBs we had. 

I think you also struggled with the formation we played, your midfield kept pressing onto McGinn and McShane who were deep sitting (largely) and Stelios / L. Smith who were Wingbacks. This let C.Smith and Morgan who were wingers have free runs at the defence. You can see it in the first goal, where there is a massive gap between defence and midfield. 

We lose a ridiculous number of goals from outside the box, and have done for the past few years. In McNamara's era Pates 'n Ranks somehow got a lot of credit for protecting the defence despite not doing a very good job of it, and it hasn't improved since.

Hamilton's winner in the playoff final, and all 3 goals the other day are some more recent examples.

Its not one game though is it. We were shite last week but playing against essentially a well drilled junior side. Today against a professional football team it showed. We were also touched up by Dundee.
Inverness game was two very very poor sides. I will give pass marks for beating QOTS with 10 men, that was a good result.
It's not good though.

Calling Brechin a well drilled junior side... f**k sake.

4 games in, 3 wins, 1 defeat. Anyone would've taken that before the season kicked off. Things always seem so much worse when you're only watching the 1 team too by the way. Other fans will feel like they've had very poor performances too.

Still fancying United. Peterhead looking like the ones that could mess up my league winning accumulator. Celtic and Raith going strong.

I felt you were so pedestrian on Saturday in the build up. Centre backs continually with the ball passing it about but nobody in midfield wanting it and full backs not wanting to drive on with it past defenders. Most times it became lump to McDonald who couldn't hold it or win via the 3 CBs we had. 
I think you also struggled with the formation we played, your midfield kept pressing onto McGinn and McShane who were deep sitting (largely) and Stelios / L. Smith who were Wingbacks. This let C.Smith and Morgan who were wingers have free runs at the defence. You can see it in the first goal, where there is a massive gap between defence and midfield. 

This for me, the tactics from McKinnon are borderline embarrassing! Get this 4231 to f**k, play 442, why on earth it took so long to bring on knoyi on Saturday I'll never no! Ps there's nothing I want more for McKinnon to succeed but time is running out

We have decent players at this level.

We have a hopeless manager.

Last season when we had a go at teams with two up front we looked the part, well, better at least. Now hes back to his old tricks again.

He needs jettisoned into the Tay asap.

This for me, the tactics from McKinnon are borderline embarrassing! Get this 4231 to f**k, play 442, why on earth it took so long to bring on knoyi on Saturday I'll never no! Ps there's nothing I want more for McKinnon to succeed but time is running out

Maybe it's like game of thrones - Ray will remove his face to reveal Jackie Mac.

On 28/08/2017 at 19:18, dundeeunited83 said:

I am constantly bemused by these tactical geniuses that can never get their head beyond anything other than the holy 442.

13 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I am constantly bemused by these tactical geniuses that can never get their head beyond anything other than the holy 442.

4231 isnt the be all and end all of modern day football either though.

Would you class Ray as a tactical genius for using it?

At the end of the day oir manager is useless so formations are mostly pointless till hes gone.

I liked Levein's old school 451 and on paper I liked Mixu's 532-ish formation. The difference is always personnel and game management. Levein could have played any formation because he had the personnel and the ability to organise. My fear over McKinnon at the moment is that we are relying on having the best team on paper (which comparing everyone's starting eleven we possibly do). Saturday we were out-thought and out-fought because St.Mirren were clever enough to exploit us at every turn.

20 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Surely the important think is to be able to change formation if necessary, and having options on the bench to allow this.

The St Mirren game was a classic example.  Even without having a big striker in the squad, we should have brought on N'Koyi for Flood at half time, dropped Stanton further back and played a 4-4-2.  It may have allowed us to get at St Mirren in the way our starting formation wasn't.

Ray said: “That was very disappointing and I didn’t see that performance coming.

“It was very unexpected and it was a difficult one to take, definitely.

I am not going to take any credit away from St Mirren as they deserved their victory.

They worked hard, battled for everything and scored three really good goals

Ooft. Thats scary. Id ask him why we didnt work hard and what he tried during the game to address that?

This was what he said after the Brechin game

McKinnon said afterwards. “From start to finish, I thought we were slow. It's hard to explain why. Most of my team were off the pace and we didn't have any tempo at all.

“I've got to give Brechin credit but we didn't pass the ball well or get in behind them."

I reckon that by the end of September we will have a clear idea if Ray can get the best out of the players we have.  I'm not sure what will happen if it looks like we can't mind you.

Archived