Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Given that Scobbie can play in central defence and offer cover at LB if required my main priorities for any more signings would be:

LB who can offer something going forward.

Big striker

RB

In that order.  Even if we can't/don't sign anyone else it is a decent squad.

I'm really happy with all of McKinnon's new signings so far with the exception of Nkoyi and that's only because I've not seen enough of him to judge.  Obviously not seen Fyvie or McDonald but from having seen them previously I am happy that they are in the squad.

On reflection resigning Flood may not have been the best idea; mind you if he keeps picking up yellows he won't be on the pitch too much.

I am also happy with the players we have let go.  Would have been happy for Dixon to stay but otherwise no complaints.

I'm pretty much the same other than maybe saying I was quite happy with Flood signing on. Hes a useful player to have when you need someone to chase and close down opposition players.

I would like to have seen Dixon play left back along side Scobbie at CH and dropping the pudding that is Edge.

A good left back then a big machine up front and it could be glorious.

19 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'm pretty much the same other than maybe saying I was quite happy with Flood signing on. Hes a useful player to have when you need someone to chase and close down opposition players.

I would like to have seen Dixon play left back along side Scobbie at CH and dropping the pudding that is Edge.

I was initially happy with the Flood signing but I think he's maybe lost it.

He got a yellow within 8 minutes of being brought on against Dundee late in the game and gave away a free kick within a minute after coming on against ICT.

I agree he has ability to break up attacks but I'm worried that he no longer has the energy or self discipline to be effective.  We will get a better idea after a few more appearances I suppose.

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I was initially happy with the Flood signing but I think he's maybe lost it.

He got a yellow within 8 minutes of being brought on against Dundee late in the game and gave away a free kick within a minute after coming on against ICT.

I agree he has ability to break up attacks but I'm worried that he no longer has the energy or self discipline to be effective.  We will get a better idea after a few more appearances I suppose.

Floods always been a bit like that. Its early in the season and hes probably not fully fit. He will probably be used depending on the opposition and tactically from the bench.

6 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Edge gets a lot of abuse, and I'm not entirely certain why. He does a decent job.

Most of the criticism seems to centre on him being 'overly-physical' which is odd given the complaints most fans have had on soooooo many other other players of ours in recent years, for the very opposite reason.

Edge gets a lot of abuse, and I'm not entirely certain why. He does a decent job.
Most of the criticism seems to centre on him being 'overly-physical' which is odd given the complaints most fans have had on soooooo many other other players of ours in recent years, for the very opposite reason.

He's a penalty waiting to happen every single time United defend a corner or set piece. Good other than that. Needs to keep his hands down can't believe he's not been punished more for it.

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He's a penalty waiting to happen every single time United defend a corner or set piece. Good other than that. Needs to keep his hands down can't believe he's not been punished more for it.

Aye, that's my only issue. He does have a horrible habit of clinging on to the guy he is supposed to be marking, and one day it will cost us. Aside from that, no complaints.

40 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

There's being physical and there is grabbing players after being warned by the ref. Hes also a bit slow and for a big guy he's a bit pish in the air. And he has a habit of letting the ball bounce when he should be clearing it. 

Haven't seen him this season so far other than the derby so he way well have been working on these aspects.

We've had worse central defenders than the Edge, but he's not as good as when he first joined.  Last season once he had achieved match fitness he really looked the business, I also think Durnan's development was partly as a result of playing along side him.  

However the second half of the season he seemed to lose it a bit; slow to turn, more likely to grapple with an opposing player when he had been beaten or was defending a set piece.

If we had another option at LB I'd like to see Scobbie playing alongside Durnan.  Having the Edge as backup however would fill me with far more confidence than Donaldson, Toshey or even Dillon.

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We've had worse central defenders than the Edge, but he's not as good as when he first joined.  Last season once he had achieved match fitness he really looked the business, I also think Durnan's development was partly as a result of playing along side him.  

However the second half of the season he seemed to lose it a bit; slow to turn, more likely to grapple with an opposing player when he had been beaten or was defending a set piece.

If we had another option at LB I'd like to see Scobbie playing alongside Durnan.  Having the Edge as backup however would fill me with far more confidence than Donaldson, Toshey or even Dillon.

Was that not when he got his new contract? 

Has he had the cigars oot since then?

Other than that I agree with you totally. Still far better than Toshney and Donaldson etc. 

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The edge is absolutely fine. His position play v Dundee and Inverness was superb. Always anticipating where the ball is going to be played and getting there first.

We already have a contrarian in our ranks; don't need another thanks.

1 hour ago, Young gun said:

How do you think being the BIG team this year will affect the Arabs and and the opposition ?

serious question 

Good question.  I'm hoping Saturday's result is an indication that it's not going to be an issue.  

Ask again in May.

1 hour ago, Young gun said:

How do you think being the BIG team this year will affect the Arabs and and the opposition ?

serious question 

We always have and always will be the biggest team in Dundee.

Oh, you mean the league.........

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The edge is absolutely fine. His position play v Dundee and Inverness was superb. Always anticipating where the ball is going to be played and getting there first.

Fall in line sir. Repeat 200 times -

'The Edge is shite'

Then, 500 times -

'So is Fraser'

Edge is a fairly reliable defender but still gives me the fear. His inability to jump for a header without using an opposition player as a ladder is slightly unorthodox but referees seem to be blind to it.

On 07/08/2017 at 22:26, Sarto Mutiny said:

It's wasn't that much of a minter tbf. Plenty of clubs have done worse

Has anyone found out why Ray bought TWO keepers in the off season? I mean, Zwick I can understand, but there must have been a reason for him to go for Lewis.

Wonder if Cammy was bumping his gums about the commute and Ray thought "he's aff". Would have been crazy for him to be left with only one keeper.

Archived