Dundee United 2017/2018

2 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Think it will be a title challenge between Dundee United and Falkirk this year considering Inverness aren't looking great in their signings or in their current form, and the fact that they have Mark Ridgers in goal.

You'll be eating your words come August 6th!!

To write us off already is crazy, for me its Utd, Falkirk, us and St M that'll be fighting for the title.

PS. Pre season means nothing, its the league that matters!

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Murray, Spittal, Bell and Andreu are all Premiership quality.

You are right though that they failed you but the fact poorer replacement are lauded should concern you

They're a big team doncha know :thumsup2

Have to laugh at Dundee fans saying all players united have signed are championship players, eh did they no sign a striker from dunfermline when they won the 1st div, and also a striker from holland who played ametuer league [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

St Johnstone fans incoming

Nah high earner and first choice defender at Falkirk to back up option who people generally didn't want to see play is probably about the same level.

It's quite simple that none of your team would play regularly for us and I'll include past players like Alston in that too. So you're quite correct really, your first team starters and our bench are about the same level.

I must admit Gaz is right in some ways, our signings are a bit of a step into the unknown, but the same can be said for any club signing a large number of players. Some of those we have brought in don't have the most eye catching pedigree but that is just a mark as to where we are. No club in this division is signing people of the calibre that Hibs did last year so we are all on a fairly even playing field. I do think the squad is looking more balanced and versatile (although we are still desperately needing another forward). 

McKinnon has nowhere to hide this year, this is now his team and his system. I have no idea how we will do this season, my heart says that we have the strongest squad in the league and will win the division but my head knows that it will be really difficult and I think a few clubs will fancy themselves to mount a title challenge. 

Murray, Spittal, Bell and Andreu are all Premiership quality.
You are right though that they failed you but the fact poorer replacement are lauded should concern you

Paul McMullan and Billy King are better than Blair Spittal. They're direct wingers whereas Spittal was just a cart horse who couldn't cross. Simon Murray finishing wise Isn't that good but a 10/10 for effort, James Keatings Is a better player. Cammy Bell Is better atm than what I've seen In the other keepers but we've not seen much yet. Andreu can't really be replaced and only a loan signing would do that.

54 minutes ago, Widge said:

Nah high earner and first choice defender at Falkirk to back up option who people generally didn't want to see play is probably about the same level.

It's quite simple that none of your team would play regularly for us and I'll include past players like Alston in that too. So you're quite correct really, your first team starters and our bench are about the same level.

Scobbie wouldn't have got a starting place in our side over the past few seasons. Leahy was a far better left back and he wouldn't get past Grant at left sided centre back. He was a trier with us but also part of the side that got us relegated .

I'm surprised United haven't strengthened their centre backs who were extremely weak last season although there's still time to sort that out before the season starts in earnest.

Scobbie wouldn't have got a starting place in our side over the past few seasons. Leahy was a far better left back and he wouldn't get past Grant at left sided centre back. He was a trier with us but also part of the side that got us relegated .
I'm surprised United haven't strengthened their centre backs who were extremely weak last season although there's still time to sort that out before the season starts in earnest.

Paul Quinn is signing after we get rid of Donaldson. He will be a good experienced defender for us

24 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Paul Quinn is signing after we get rid of Donaldson. He will be a good experienced defender for us

I was thinking of someone with a bit of pace. Quinn is 32 and injury prone. Scobbie was never quick and Durnan and edjenguele turn like super tankers. You will have one of the slowest defences in the league surely.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Its really quite a strange wee P&B phenonmenon that St Johnstone fans get themselves all excited about telling Falkirk fans how we arent as good as them. Most people can determine this from analysing league positions, though other data may also be available to this end.....

I worked in Perth for many years and it was very noticeable that relatively few people in the town had any interest in their team.

What fans they do have seem to be a weird mixture of schemie tramps and farmers.

The we are better than you type posts so beloved of them are just a sad attempt at attracting some confirmation that anyone cares that they actually exist.

2 hours ago, fifeunited said:

A think paul McMullen could be as good as McKay-Stevens was for us what have seenhim looks really good, and spoke to few dunfermline fans says was brilliant for them last season they were gutted when signed for united

Now, I haven't seen McMullen play yet but that is one hell of a statement.

As much as I'd love it to be true I very much doubt he'll be half the player GMS was for us, under Houston anyway.

That's not to say he'll not be a decent player for us.

I'd also say that the players we are signing in general are probably low end Premiership to top Championship level. We should be looking to finish top with a couple of games at least to spare. But we wont.

Our centre halfs are still shite and we still need a big battering ram up top. 

I predict a season of tragic defending, more leaked goals and having to out score the opposition.

43 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Now, I haven't seen McMullen play yet but that is one hell of a statement.

As much as I'd love it to be true I very much doubt he'll be half the player GMS was for us, under Houston anyway.

That's not to say he'll not be a decent player for us.

I'd also say that the players we are signing in general are probably low end Premiership to top Championship level. We should be looking to finish top with a couple of games at least to spare. But we wont.

Our centre halfs are still shite and we still need a big battering ram up top. 

I predict a season of tragic defending, more leaked goals and having to out score the opposition.

I think it's an alias. G Man probably. Strong stench of failure.

Archived