Dundee United 2017/2018

Left back may not be Scobbie's best position and certainly his role there would offer little in the way of going forward.  Anyone who thinks Robson is ready to step into that position as first choice obviously didn't watch the last 6 or so games he played towards the end of last season.

Dixon would be a decent shout with hopefully Robson developing more over the coming season.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Left back may not be Scobbie's best position and certainly his role there would offer little in the way of going forward.  Anyone who thinks Robson is ready to step into that position as first choice obviously didn't watch the last 6 or so games he played towards the end of last season.

Dixon would be a decent shout with hopefully Robson developing more over the coming season.

Correct. Jamie Robson was way out his depth last season. Not nearly ready to be 1st choice. Don't even think he's even Utd standard. Possibly a Montrose, maybe even junior.Definitely seems easier to make it in the game nowadays than it used to be. 

Scobbie will be first choice left Back this season with Robson playing some games as well as back up

The Way Ray was speaking though it's as is if Dixon doesn't get a club elsewhere we will offer him something....

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world considering we have little cover at CB and LB, he'd be on a fraction of the muted £1.8k / per week he was pocketing perviously.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world considering we have little cover at CB and LB, he'd be on a fraction of the muted £1.8k / per week he was pocketing perviously.

He's mince, has been for years. Was one of the reasons we went down hill.

Apparently we are wanting to sign Paul Quinn but the only way that'll happen if we can't punt Donaldson so.....been trying to do that for a year now

1 hour ago, Wet Wullie said:

Correct. Jamie Robson was way out his depth last season. Not nearly ready to be 1st choice. Don't even think he's even Utd standard. Possibly a Montrose, maybe even junior.Definitely seems easier to make it in the game nowadays than it used to be. 

Have to agree.

Robson has never really impressed me. Dixon is not the answer though imho. He can have a good game occasionally which reminds you of the quality he once had, but more often than not he is poor.

Someone like Taylor-Sinclair would've been ideal.

Since Dixon came back he's been shat on by not having a winger confront of him. Well, one that is of any use anyway. He's been isolated and targeted by other teams and that's why he's been poor. Play to his strengths and you'll get the decent version of Dixon.

But Robson is dreadful and Scobbie would be better in the middle imo. 

2 hours ago, Wet Wullie said:

Absolute nonsense.

52 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Absolute nonsense.

Is it? The lad is average, very average. Of course he's still young and can develope. . But right now, he doesn't have it. A bit of a headless chicken. 

35 minutes ago, Wet Wullie said:

Is it? The lad is average, very average. Of course he's still young and can develope. . But right now, he doesn't have it. A bit of a headless chicken. 

Yeah, it's nonsense. He's a very decent young player. Clearly he's not the finished article but very, very few players at that age are. Extremely unfair to be writing him off at this stage.

23 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, it's nonsense. He's a very decent young player. Clearly he's not the finished article but very, very few players at that age are. Extremely unfair to be writing him off at this stage.

Read it again. I haven't written him off. RIGHT NOW HE DOESN'T HAVE IT is what I said. 

Guys like Robson are ten a penny. Go to most Super League Junior  games and you'll see players like Robson every week. 

Watch how many times Robson gets caught with a ball over his head, it's 3 and 4 times a game. Doesn't seem to learn. A defender must learn the art of defending first and foremost. He isn't progressing in that department and that's a worry. Right now he's  a liability and shouldn't be near the 1st team. If it was up to me, I'd get him back out on loan for the season.  

Read it again. I haven't written him off. RIGHT NOW HE DOESN'T HAVE IT is what I said. 
Guys like Robson are ten a penny. Go to most Super League Junior  games and you'll see players like Robson every week. 
Watch how many times Robson gets caught with a ball over his head, it's 3 and 4 times a game. Doesn't seem to learn. A defender must learn the art of defending first and foremost. He isn't progressing in that department and that's a worry. Right now he's  a liability and shouldn't be near the 1st team. If it was up to me, I'd get him back out on loan for the season.  

This is everything that is wrong with the club at the moment, we write-off a 19 year old immediately - what happened to the days that we nurtured talent. We still fund the youth development but no one "leading" that department but that said boy is 19 and already fans saying he's not good enough. The last few years have been tough but this attitude doesn't progress the club.

Wake up and get behind the young boy instead of simply writing him off!!!

1 minute ago, GrantB878 said:

This is everything that is wrong with the club at the moment, we write-off a 19 year old immediately - what happened to the days that we nurtured talent. We still fund the youth development but no one "leading" that department but that said boy is 19 and already fans saying he's not good enough. The last few years have been tough but this attitude doesn't progress the club.

I'm awake mate. Just being realistic. Another season on loan will do him good. Playing week in, week out is the only way he'll progress. He won't and shouldn't get that at Utd just now. He's back up at best. 

Not convinced by Robson but it's far too early to right him off. Has got a lot to learn and the best way to do this may well be another loan move. The only problem with this is that it would leave us short at left back should Scobbie get injured (had injury problems in the past). Not sure if any loan option could include a recall clause or if the player can only be recalled during transfer windows. 

5 hours ago, GrantB878 said:

I hate to break it to you, but unconditional praise on a internet message board doesn't progress the club either.

Why else does this place exist other than to debate the merits of the team etc?

I haven't seen anything in Robson yet that makes me think he'll progress into a good player. I wonder if there are any examples of Dundee United youth products that nobody rated initially, that turned into great players? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Archived