Professor safety threatened for opposing "Day of Absence"

21 minutes ago, strichener said:

The reason that it appears unbalanced is because it is unbalanced. 

Discrimination for any reason is discrimination and is not somehow acceptable if you happen to be some ethnic, gender or other some other identity mechanism minority.  To argue otherwise would require some logic ladder of levels of suffering and even within these identifiable groups there is discrimination.  An example of this would be that even within the Black community, the Haitians feel that they are discriminated against by other Blacks.

I disagree to some extent for two reasons, one (as in my reply to Milton) there are some instances where race only/gender only/religion only events or groups might be appropriate, i.e support groups, trying to encourage people to participate in society when they may be afraid or unable to otherwise because of societal pressure. I don't think it is necessarily wrong in those instances.

Secondly, the country as a whole is dominated by White, British, (apparently Christian but who knows?) identity. It shapes what is taught in schools (has anyone ever been taught about slavery in History?) it shapes how people work and it shapes how people react in society. So when you have a whole society that is biased towards a particular set of identities, I don't think that it is inherently discriminatory to have some support groups and spaces where other identity can be brought forward.

I do though, in general agree with your overall idea. I don't think that anyone should be discriminated against to any serious degree, where they are prevented from leading a free life or from achieving the ends that they set themselves. From getting a job or a flat etc. I don't really agree with aspects such as positive discrimination because these days getting a job is hard for everyone and it simply causes an increase in the divide.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The first bit was more of a response to your parody conversation so I don't mean "you" in that sense, I just mean the problem in that argument.

I think as you identify, a lot of the conversations around segregated events should be around its purpose and reason for being. Where there are singular events aimed at encouraging participation where people may otherwise be afraid or unwilling because of facing inequality around it then I think there can be a case for them. As you say, women's shelters, mens support groups for health or whatever. I just don't think its anymore helpful to shout about how bad it is that these people are excluding us (not you, in general) without trying to understand the reasons and motivation behind it.

Nobody on here is crying about the cinema thing, but I have read people doing so elsewhere. I just think it shows an awful lack of self-awareness to be arguing about it rather than seeing it through the lens of people who face such injustice everyday and on a much larger scale.

I do agree that the case in the OPP is ridiculous though. The professor is well within his rights to express his feelings on the matter and should not face the sack for doing so. I agree with the poster before who said (something like) it was a part of a "talking but not listening culture" (sorry, paraphrasing there!). I think that is a very true reflection on aspects of society today.

Ah, see your point, and agree totally. Sorry - misread you!

This all reminds me of the Fox News stories about Christmas being banned. Some furniture store in the mid west USA changes their "Merry Christmas" sign to "Happy Holidays" and there's outrage in the right wing media. A few students in a college nobody has heard of do stupid stuff that students do, and suddenly white male heterosexuals are under threat? What a bunch of snowflakes.

Having seen the other DC movies in the past few years, I'm fucking delighted that I'm banned from seeing Wonder Woman.

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

He did a PhD in dance, you've got to take your hat off to him.

You can dance if you wanna, but whatever you do don't leave your friends behind. If your friends are present when they should be absent then they're no friends of mine.

Archived