Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

The elite European clubs are much further ahead of Celtic then they were even 5 years ago. The CL group stages are a farce and have been for years but that's not the fault of Celtic and Anderlecht.

Yet the fact that Celtic are much further ahead of financially inferior clubs than they were even 5 years ago and the top flight in Scotland is a farce is the fault of everyone other than Brendan’s Euro jokers?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He had an outstanding season right enough when he came. He has been underwhelming this season but yet has chipped in with a fair few goals and assists. Regarding pace I think you may be right although that second of hesitancy he gets from lack of confidence makes him look that bit slower. I have also noticed that in Europe Brendan gets his full backs to be more defensively disciplined which leaves Sinclair isolated as he is at his best when looking for a one-two off a full back to get himself in to the box. He then is left to try and beat his man alone which he doesnt really have the ability to do at that level. I think Brendan will need to either adjust our tactics or use him as an impact player.

He’s been shite because he is totally lacking any motivation now that he realises scoring against diddy teams week in week out isn’t going to earn him an England call up.

He’s been shite because he is totally lacking any motivation now that he realises scoring against diddy teams week in week out isn’t going to earn him an England call up.

Im pretty sure he realised that before he came. Cant question his motivation really as he still is one of the fitteat and tracks back nearly all of the time, its confidence really.

On 06/12/2017 at 18:34, Drew Brees said:

Exactly, What right do we have to think we should be beating teams like Anderlecht, who have a bigger budget, play in a far superior league and over the past 5 seasons performed far better than us in Europe hence the reason they are a 3rd pot CL side?

We play in one of the poorest leagues in Europe from a country that hasn't produced a quality player in over 20 years. The teams around us domestically routinely get put out of Europe by teams from Malta, Lithuania, Luxembourg and Cyprus etc every season yet when we beat the Belgian Champions 3-1 over 2 games.

I’ll take a jammy draw and a bit of luck in the last 32.

Not sure about the part I've put in bold tbh. Their budget or revenue last season was less than €50M, around £44M. Celtic's last year was £61M. So Celtic's budget/revenue was nearly 40% higher.  Quite a difference.

I would change two things in Scottish Football if the money was available. 

1. Every club should have the best available pitch installed.

2. Every club needs to have a world class stadium, one that generates atmosphere and money.

Both are probably pie in the sky thinking but if we don't start to improve something then we'll keep on going down the same road. I'd start with the pitches which would promote better, on the ground, football and move away from heady tennis we routinely see.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

So you are saying that having a bigger budget makes a difference?

Im sure Celtic fans will strongly advise ((c) AdLib) you that it has nothing to do with it. 

I was very careful with my use of language Mr Mullarkey. Interestingly though Celtics budget/revenue was the third best in their group. Just saying?  :whistle

8 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Zenit are the favourites but Celtic should be treating this as a game they have a chance of progressing in. It's pretty far from being a dead cert defeat and the draw could have gone much worse.

The first leg at Celtic Park is key.  Anything other than a victory, we're oot on our arses.

3 hours ago, weejoeharper said:

I was very careful with my use of language Mr Mullarkey. Interestingly though Celtics budget/revenue was the third best in their group. Just saying?  :whistle

Cant have been anything in it? Thet paid nearly 10 million euros for a player last year.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

So you are saying that having a bigger budget makes a difference?

Im sure Celtic fans will strongly advise ((c) AdLib) you that it has nothing to do with it. 

I dont think any Celtic fan has said that ever.

Archived