Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

27 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

We’re nowhere near these top teams tbf.  Another centre back wouldn’t change that.

It might. It's not like Celtic did well tonight and were outclassed by a team scoring great goals, it was three free headers, an absolute joke at this level, and something maybe a competent centre half could have done something about.

All Bayern really had to do tonight  was turn up. 3-0 flattered Celtic, Gordon and the ref kept the score down.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think in our situation we do need to buy though. You're correct in that our 2 main centre halves are good enough, but how much time have they spent injured between them over the last season or 2? Combined I'd be surprised if they've made much more than 50 appearances between them since Brendan Rodgers joined.
Even then, the guy who appeared to be our primary defensive target in the Summer was a South African centre back who'd likely have been nowhere near the starting 11. Our defence is absolutely all over the place at the minute due to our failure to get anyone in.

Jozo has played 44 games according to Wiki. It just seems much worse at the moment because of the injuries.

As you say the guy we nearly signed probs wouldn't have made the slightest difference. That was basically a case of us signing someone for the sake of signing someone. I'd much rather wait until a better player becomes available or sign no one and go with what we have. If injuries happen then we need to just deal with it the best we can.

On what planet have they done okay? They've been utterly pumped so far. They're lucky it's less than 5 at the moment

Taking it in context. They were always going to get absolutely pumped. As it turns out 3-0 is actually very respectable.

Bayern and the elite 4 or 5 of the Champions League are on a totally different level now.

Just quite nice to see Celtic get utterly gubbed off a team off of a comparative gulf in resources as they enjoy over the rest of Scottish football.

If Celtic happen to win at Pittodrie on Wednesday next week I look forward to the press and Celtic fans acknowledging how the financial might and different class of player that Celtic can attract means it's impossible for Scottish football to compete.

2 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

They did punt their manager afterwards tbf.

München or PSG? Need to gauge who found that result so disgusting.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Just quite nice to see Celtic get utterly gubbed off a team off of a comparative gulf in resources as they enjoy over the rest of Scottish football.

If Celtic happen to win at Pittodrie on Wednesday next week I look forward to the press and Celtic fans acknowledging how the financial might and different class of player that Celtic can attract means it's impossible for Scottish football to compete.

Good point. No journalist has ever pointed out the gulf between Celtic and other teams (with the same shite TV deal).

5 hours ago, The OP said:

München or PSG? Need to gauge who found that result so disgusting.

Good point. No journalist has ever pointed out the gulf between Celtic and other teams (with the same shite TV deal).

Celtic having more income than the other 41 Clubs combined.

WHY ARE YOU SO GOOD ? ( v Ross County, Thistle, Hamilton, etc )

Try Boring Boring Brendan with Kilmarnock's budget .

TAINTED HONOURS SINCE 1888

:lol:

1 hour ago, shull said:

Poetry isn't your forte.

11 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Not so much crumbling but if someone’s mum is dying then I would always tend to put that ahead of any “edgy” comments on P+B.

Says a lot about your mentality that you have an issue with this.

I upvoted the "Gassed in Germany" thing because it was megalolz.

5 hours ago, shull said:

another captain sensible wannabe 

looks like we'll finish the group with double the points we did last season while getting 4 football lessons which will hopefully help each player and coach develop a little bit further.  

biggest lessons for me is that

1. Sinclair turns into one of our weakest links at the highest level, constantly unavailable to pick up the ball from our midfielders and when he does have it, he's making a head down predictable run. Domestically our usual 433 formation hides Sinclair's weaknesses, against Bayern and PSG, the 451/4231 exposed them. 

2. Defenders have to focus on the basics, the pass averages for the 7 players in Celtic's midfield and defence were better than decent, but centre backs need to head basic crosses away and

3. Full backs need to be match fit - the manager needs to rotate the full backs and if numbers are low in that area, then we need to develop players there. People were moaning that we never signed a CB in the summer... what we actually needed to do was sign a player that can play 2 of the 3 defensive positions. 

Archived