Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

4 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Bayern took 10 off arsenal earlier this year.

How's that relevant.

Even before he went to Celtic, Rodgers' weaknesses were obvious.

Don't think it really matters at Celtic because they're still where they expect to be, but let's not pretend he doesn't have blatant problems.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How's that relevant.
Even before he went to Celtic, Rodgers' weaknesses were obvious.
Don't think it really matters at Celtic because they're still where they expect to be, but let's not pretend he doesn't have blatant problems.

Its relevant to the point made that these teams shouldn't be brushing Celtic aside, of course they should, they're miles ahead of us on and off the pitch.

Just now, Drew Brees said:

Its relevant to the point made that these teams shouldn't be brushing Celtic aside, of course they should, they're miles ahead of us on and off the pitch.

I thought Celtic were pretty poor tonight and it was 3-0. Playing better, or even just more organised, who's to say Celtic couldn't have made a game of it?

Problem is that Rodgers has never been able to do that.

I thought Celtic were pretty poor tonight and it was 3-0. Playing better, or even just more organised, who's to say Celtic couldn't have made a game of it?

Excerpt in the last game.

3 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

We had a right back at centre half, a guy who never gets a game at full back and man for man every player they had was better than ours. 3-0 was adequate, nothing more, nothing less.

Bring on the Europa.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

We had a right back at centre half, a guy who never plays at full back and man for man every player they had was better than ours. 3-0 was adequate, nothing more, nothing less.

Bring on the Europa.

Who's fault is it that the defence wasn't strengthened in the summer?

Rodgers didn't do that because he knows where his strengths lie and probably knows what he does is adequate for the job he has. Which it is.

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Rodgers didn't do that because he knows where his strengths lie and probably knows what he does is adequate for the job he has. Which he does.

Word salad territory.

We have 3 centre halves but 2 are injured. 

(Not counting likes of Ajer)

How many times are Celtic fans going to say this? Rodgers seems totally unwilling, or incapable, of setting up a team to counter stronger opponents. I'm not daft enough to suggest you should be earning points in the Nou Camp/Allianz/Paris, but there's no way these teams should be brushing Celtic aside with the utter ease that they are. Bayern barely broke sweat.

I disagree. We have a lot of young inexperienced players at this level and it takes time for them to learn how to cope. We will take a few hidings against teams like Bayern/PSG/Barca but as long as we get better to compete against teams at the level below these teams then we will be fine. Beating Anderlecht 3-0 away from home is a sign that we are learning and improving.

I don't believe in blaming the results on the financial gap, we just aren't experienced enough yet. Celtic as a club have a strategy to try and get to a point where we can compete and I have no doubt that we will get there but it won't happen in a season or two. These things dont happen overnight, 2 years ago we were getting pumped in the EL now we are playing in the CL and in a good place to make the last 32 of the EL. Progress is happening

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

Word salad territory.

We have 3 centre halves but 2 are injured. 

(Not counting likes of Ajer)

To be fair though only having 3 centre halves with the amount of games we play over the course of a season is asking for bother. It was the priority position for signings over the summer and we ended up with nobody.

2 minutes ago, rory90 said:

To be fair though only having 3 centre halves with the amount of games we play over the course of a season is asking for bother. It was the priority position for signings over the summer and we ended up with nobody.

I see the point but we could’ve had VVD tonight and we still would’ve been hoored.

And we don’t have 3 centre halves. Ajer is fine against mediocre scottish teams (all of them except Aberdeen).

Rodgers didn't do that because he knows where his strengths lie and probably knows what he does is adequate for the job he has. Which it is.

I don't really think it's anyone's fault. To get in a centre half with the quality for the CL costs a lot of money in the current market. If one was available at a decent price he would've brought him in but finding a CL quality player for £5m and £25k a week to come to Scotland isn't an easy task when they can go down south for double the salary.

Just now, The OP said:

I see the point but we could’ve had VVD tonight and we still would’ve been hoored.

No doubt we would have been, just frustrating that we're going into these games having to shoehorn full backs and centre mids into the centre of defence as we've been doing since the end of July.

Just now, Tartantony said:

I don't really think it's anyone's fault. To get in a centre half with the quality for the CL costs a lot of money in the current market. If one was available at a decent price he would've brought him in but finding a CL quality player for £5m and £25k a week to come to Scotland isn't an easy task when they can go down south for double the salary.

Not necessarily a proper CL quality CB, but someone to at least cover for what's there. Not saying it'd have made a difference to tonight's game, and maybe it could even have been worse, but I get the feeling you could at least have given a better account of yourselves.

No doubt we would have been, just frustrating that we're going into these games having to shoehorn full backs and centre mids into the centre of defence as we've been doing since the end of July.

You can't just go out and bulk buy incase of injuries. We have 4 centre halfs and our first choice 2 are good enough to win the league and compete against the second tier teams in Europe. As I said above, better ones than what we have cost a lot of money, money I don't want to see us spending.

If a quality CH is available within our structure then we'll go and get him, but until that happens we should not just buy for the sake of buying

9 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

You can't just go out and bulk buy incase of injuries. We have 4 centre halfs and our first choice 2 are good enough to win the league and compete against the second tier teams in Europe. As I said above, better ones than what we have cost a lot of money, money I don't want to see us spending.

If a quality CH is available within our structure then we'll go and get him, but until that happens we should not just buy for the sake of buying

I think in our situation we do need to buy though. You're correct in that our 2 main centre halves are good enough, but how much time have they spent injured between them over the last season or 2? Combined I'd be surprised if they've made much more than 50 appearances between them since Brendan Rodgers joined.

Even then, the guy who appeared to be our primary defensive target in the Summer was a South African centre back who'd likely have been nowhere near the starting 11. Our defence is absolutely all over the place at the minute due to our failure to get anyone in.

Archived