Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

Ralston was absolutely starstruck by Neymar, what a humiliation he was given. Quite cringe worthy watching him resort to playing the hard man after one too many pastings. He's only a kid though, and Rodgers has to take the blame for allowing someone so out of their depth to be in the starting lineup against such a good team.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or maybe this type of exposure is exactly what a young player needs?

Time will tell, but it's clearly not what Celtic needed tonight. All his start shows is that Rodgers has completely failed to strengthen his defence over the summer.

That's as may be. But Rodgers couldn't have bought any defenders that would compete with Qatari Inc. 

That's it. We could have broke oor transfer record on a centre half n it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. Outclassed all over the pitch. Psg aren't as good as Barca when we bet them, I don't think, but with Cavani upfront it gives them another more physical, direct dimension and they can switch it up more.

I think Cavani is as good anyone right now. He'll get untold service with mbappe n neymar aswell. The three of them could easily hit 25-30 goals each this season. Don't know what Rodgers could have done differently. Celtic are in a position domestically where it doesn't make sense to spend 6 million plus on individual players and are so far behind the top European teams that it wouldn't make any difference if they did.

42 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I think Cavani is as good anyone right now. He'll get untold service with mbappe n neymar aswell. The three of them could easily hit 25-30 goals each this season. Don't know what Rodgers could have done differently. Celtic are in a position domestically where it doesn't make sense to spend 6 million plus on individual players and are so far behind the top European teams that it wouldn't make any difference if they did.

I'm not sure that's true. In van Dijk, celtic had found a player whose EPL market value seems to be 70m now. A bit more clever scouting and they could find more like him. It's  a long shot  of course, but I don't think they are at the stage of giving up quite yet. 

It's pretty easy to look as good as PSG did last night when the opposition are as pathetic as Celtic were. Celtic didn't even put in a tackle in the first half. They didn't close down space, they didn't complete five yard passes. At least three of the goals were all down to defensive mistakes. They weren't in any way compact or difficult to break down, and 5-0 flattered them.

10 hours ago, MJC said:

Ahh magic. There's not many things more satisfying in life than seeing arrogant, self important 'big fish in small pond' being given a severe dose of their own medicine. I'm especially glad that PSG added those two late goals to make the scoreline so humiliating for Them and to not allow them any 'bravado' from a 'brave' second half performance.

f**k, I say f**k the co-efficient :)

Well said, Foghorn Leghorn

I'd be willing to give Rodgers a pass if that wasn't the most naive tactical display I've seen from a CL manager since you got hounded at the Nou Camp, leaving full backs exposed, when ones as inexperienced as Ralston, and then matching up man for man in the middle, was suicide, and he didn't change it at any point.

Agree about Ralston aswell, Neymar ripped the fucking piss for 45 minutes and then almost stopped out of pity, then Ralston bizarrely went nuts and started piling through the back of folk and insulting him. I doubt Neymar will show much pity if they meet again.

7 minutes ago, Finch road said:

Just watched goals again. Cavani' s header for the 5th was as good a finish as I've seen in a long time

Was just about to post exactly the same. It looks better with every replay.

I think the criticism of Ralston is a bit OTT. The first goal he was clearly at fault but the rest of the game he coped with as well as any Celtic player...

I think last night showed that a willingness/ability to shitfest it absolutely has a place in football. If you try and go toe to toe with a top side who are clearly on form, you are going to get found out big time.

I think last night showed that a willingness/ability to shitfest it absolutely has a place in football. If you try and go toe to toe with a top side who are clearly on form, you are going to get found out big time.

Going out in the spl with an attacking mindset is fine for celtic. But when it comes to the european games, especially with the groups they are getting, surely you sit in and try and defend and frustrate these teams and then try and hit them with pace on the counter?
As you, the shitfest has a place in football and it's against these sides, it may not be "the celtic way" but surely as a celtic fan, you would take 6 scrappy draws/wins and the chance of going through against being routinely hammered and maybe out after a few games?

Archived