Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

3 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

The Linfield section of ILF would suggest that quite a few Linfield fans are going to take local Shellick fans along with them, and I hope everyone has a great, trouble free evening.

Meanwhile the OP will be dreaming of marauding Orangemen everywhere.

Any spare tickets?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Embarrassing stuff from Celtic, really.
It will be an interesting tie (assuming Linfield beat the team from San Marino), Celtic will likely win but not by so much; the top Irish league sides are of better quality than they are given credit for.

Queen of the South cruised past them.

9 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

That is fucking ridiculous. Surely moving the fixture away from the 12th negates any danger to travelling fans? Utterly pathetic decision from Celtic.

Yes because the bigots just go back to being law abiding citizens for the other 364 days a year. If it was any other month I would imagine we would have taken the allocation but given droves of families go away in the week of this to avoid it this is the right decision for me. Why risk it.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Yes because the bigots just go back to being law abiding citizens for the other 364 days a year. If it was any other month I would imagine we would have taken the allocation but given droves of families go away in the week of this to avoid it this is the right decision for me. Why risk it.

Strange why you focus on only one side of the sectarian divide here

11 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

The Linfield section of ILF would suggest that quite a few Linfield fans are going to take local Shellick fans along with them, and I hope everyone has a great, trouble free evening.

Meanwhile the OP will be dreaming of marauding Orangemen everywhere.

Oh, I thought your local police force had extremely grave concerns about this match, tried to do everything they could to get it moved and persuaded our club not to allow away fans because they couldn't guarantee their safety. If only they realised you'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony. :lol:

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Strange why you focus on only one side of the sectarian divide here

It's because of the festival of hate that one side partakes in every summer that this was such a controversial fixture.

Celtic have been punished 10 times in 6 years from UEFA for crowd related offences, presumably they've been warned against more serious sanctions unless they improve. Due to the obvious potential for more crowd trouble it seems to me like the Celtic board are picking their battles here as they shouldn't need a good crowd backing to progress this tie.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

Oh, I thought your local police force had extremely grave concerns about this match, tried to do everything they could to get it moved and persuaded our club not to allow away fans because they couldn't guarantee their safety. If only they realised you'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony. :lol:

It's because of the festival of hate that one side partakes in every summer that this was such a controversial fixture.

But if they partake in it every summer, and im sure linfield have played games at this time before without them being moved, why is this fixture such an issue? Nothing to do with the IRA supporting terrorist loving ****** army that follows celtic away from home is it? 

30 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

But if they partake in it every summer, and im sure linfield have played games at this time before without them being moved, why is this fixture such an issue? Nothing to do with the IRA supporting terrorist loving ****** army that follows celtic away from home is it? 

Nothing to do with that as far as I can see, given it's being played at 5pm on a Friday even though we're not uptaking any tickets. 

I was rather annoyed at Keith Jackon's, (I think, todays Record), one-sided take on Linfield, prattling on about how, "Linfield had previous", and referring to us, "running riot in Dundalk". He could have mentioned a shooting in Amsterdam in reference to Celtic, or a stabbing in Lyon, or an aeroplane being diverted, or numerous fines in recent years, or he could have written a balanced article about both clubs, but he didn't. Like so many other media outlets, he is fanning the flames.

Now, as for Dundalk, we are guilty as charged, but not quite as he puts it, and it was a game I attended in 1979. Linfield fans were involved in a riot, but it was very much a two sided affair, with out buses being attacked at practically every small village on the way down. Had it happened today it would have been Dundalk who were punished as the home side, and their ground was a riot waiting to happen as both ends behind the goals were banks made up of gravel and stones. Dundalk was also a border town full of provos on the run, and 1979 was particularly volatile. None of this excuses what happened in any way, and at 16 I found it a bit frightening to have guns fired at us as we left, but surely the Record should be looking for something a bit more up to date if they are going to contend that we have previous, as if it is an ongoing concern?

He also neglects to mention that Linfield and Dundalk founded the Dunfield project the year after that game to bring people from both sides together, or that both sides have played home and away since with absolutely no trouble.

The Record is a rag that belongs in the gutter with The Sun. I hope the author's next sh1te is a hedgehog.

9 hours ago, The OP said:

The police are stretched and can do without a full-on meeting of the worst elements of both teams' supports, but there are examples on ILF of Blues fans promising to take along some Celtic fans. Choose to disbelieve this if you want. I am already getting tickets for one poster I have never met, but over the years I have found his posts to be erudite, largely impartial and open to the views of others; in fact he is everything you appear not to be. In your twisted world you would probably regard him as a soup-taker.

Archived