Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

I have no love for Orangemen, in fact, Kenny Miller is just about bearable.

If this 'anticipated' and 'predicted' fixture was to take place at any other date of the year, would there so so much furore about it?

Judging by what I've read, Linfield as a club have been trying to distance themselves from the Sectarian stuff over the last couple of years so I suspect that it wouldn't be such a big deal if it happened at any other time.

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Judging by what I've read, Linfield as a club have been trying to distance themselves from the Sectarian stuff over the last couple of years so I suspect that it wouldn't be such a big deal if it happened at any other time.

Sadly we still have a cadre of fcukwits mate, (think the bigots on TalkCeltic type), who would turn out for a game like this, (as would plenty who never darken the doors of Windsor Park at any other time), so there would still be fines for naughty singing if it went well, and the potential for trouble if it didn't. I am not so worried about trouble at the ground itself, more the aftermath around the city as arseholes on both sides get tanked up.

What gets me is that all too many seem to think it is solely the Linfield fans who would be to blame if there were trouble. An awful lot of Linfield fans share my opinion that a glamour game and money are very nice, but this is one draw we could have very well done without.

1 hour ago, Greenlantern said:

I have no love for Orangemen, in fact, Kenny Miller is just about bearable.

If this 'anticipated' and 'predicted' fixture was to take place at any other date of the year, would there so so much furore about it?

Poor Davie.

4e02e16db0bfaab5e4245938734877d898b65452

I presume there would've been a similar fuss if we played Cliftonville round about the Twelfth because it's the troglodytes filling up the ferries, planes and city centre hotels who are more likely to have run-ins with Celtic supporters rather than in and around the ground. There's also likely to be a lot more danger if straggling Celtic supporters  are walking through unfamiliar areas when all the denizens are on the street burning stuff. Without all that going on they would probably just need to police around the ground and ensure the home and away fans don't run into each other. 

I also understand the PSNI are stretched to breaking point during the martian season, with cops drafted from all over the UK. As an aside, I read somewhere that the cops drafted in are supposed to be firearms trained and I can't see many UK police forces wanting to give up officers with firearms training atm so they might be even more stretched. 

In saying all that, I do recall hearing about riots when the Poland played NI at Windsor Park and subsequent anti-Eastern European pogroms taking place, but what the cause of that was I don't know.

22 minutes ago, The OP said:

I presume there would've been a similar fuss if we played Cliftonville round about the Twelfth because it's the troglodytes filling up the ferries, planes and city centre hotels who are more likely to have run-ins with Celtic supporters rather than in and around the ground. There's also likely to be a lot more danger if straggling Celtic supporters  are walking through unfamiliar areas when all the denizens are on the street burning stuff. Without all that going on they would probably just need to police around the ground and ensure the home and away fans don't run into each other. 

I also understand the PSNI are stretched to breaking point during the martian season, with cops drafted from all over the UK. As an aside, I read somewhere that the cops drafted in are supposed to be firearms trained and I can't see many UK police forces wanting to give up officers with firearms training atm so they might be even more stretched. 

In saying all that, I do recall hearing about riots when the Poland played NI at Windsor Park and subsequent anti-Eastern European pogroms taking place, but what the cause of that was I don't know.

Was your trawler decommissioned along with your armalite?

13 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Was your trawler decommissioned along with your armalite?

I've checked the news from the time to see if my language was excessive. 50 to 60 people clashing with riot police is more than a tiff or a kerfuffle imo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7969871.stm

Up to 40 people being driven from their homes due to their ethnic background sounds a bit like a pogrom to me, but if there is a slightly less sensational term for the same thing I'd be happy to substitute it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7991531.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40374278

Better safe than sorry, and I understand away fans will be banned.

Incidentally, Linfield's ground is not in the Sandy Row area. Good old BBC.

3 hours ago, The OP said:

Was discussed at length on here before. Right wing Polish skinheads stormed into Spoons before the game and wrecked the place, assaulting all and sundry, and then whined like bitches when they got their asses kicked later, claiming sectarianism and any other "ism" they could think of.

Don't know about 'banned' but there's talk from our supporters liaison officer that we're not going to take our allocation for this. Expected to be confirmed tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40374278

Better safe than sorry, and I understand away fans will be banned.

Incidentally, Linfield's ground is not in the Sandy Row area. Good old BBC.

Was discussed at length on here before. Right wing Polish skinheads stormed into Spoons before the game and wrecked the place, assaulting all and sundry, and then whined like bitches when they got their asses kicked later, claiming sectarianism and any other "ism" they could think of.

Not surprised it was entirely their fault. 

9 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Good, i can get along to Scarva the day before.

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 15:41, Jacksgranda said:

That'll work - everybody will be at Scarva.

Imagine having to have a European game moved dates due to bigoted and sectarian elements both in your support and club ethos.

Very embarrassing affair for Celtic. Obviously the boot is on the other foot too but Linfield aren't Scottish so not really relevant here.

Archived