IV - The Glorious Hamilton Accies 2017/2018 Forum

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F**k sake if the figures quoted are accurate this will impact massively on the club, if this has been done over a period of time the club has to question the security safeguards they have in place concerning how they carry out their banking requirements.If it has been carried out in a condensed time span , this may prove relatively easy for the investigative teams to solve, either way the club will need to re-asses their banking transactions.

46 minutes ago, killiefan27 said:

Wasn't noted fraudster Barry Hughes the agent for a number of Hamilton players back in the day?

No idea about now... 

He's still the agent of choice for most of our young players. This won't be his doing but it disgusts me that nobody at the club puts an arm round these kids to say maybe this guy, with his extremely chequered psst, isn't the best person to represent you. What are their parents thinking?  Maybe they look at McArthur and McCarthy who were with him, and see pound signs. Surely you've got to have some standards?

1 hour ago, Meatwad said:

I've worked in personal banking and you deal with the odd person who has an absolute fuckload of cash but it's very difficult to get it out of one account to another unless someone has all the info needed.

At the time I read and quoted this my assumption would have been that it was a cash fraud as most banking fraud is returned out of question from the bank.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'd take a guess at it being something to do with Rojano. Argentine forward who's most recently played in Bolivia, signed on August 22nd with a view to playing against Celtic on Sept 8th after international clearance goes through. Mid-October and still no sign of him in the team. Sounds like a fake agent style stitch up if there has been some sort of signing on fees paid to an intermediary.

Tbh it's the only sort of scenario I can see that would come close to be able to be described as elaborate as opposed to just regular run of the mill fraud. The mental picture of an Ocean's 11 style job happening at NDP is quite something though. 

I was also thinking along these lines.

Now that I see its been as a result of a vishing call and the figure lost is claimed to be £750k I am very confused.  I know of fraud of over 1/2 this amount that was paid back from similar vishing attempts but I suppose it just depends who you bank with.

Banks are trying to move away from paying back on "stupid" fraud but getting a lot of pushback from the Govt/FCA as it may further damage confidence in the banking system.  However for things like vishing you really have to take some sympathy with the bank who will, in almost every case I know, take the loss for this for their customer.  Their bank could of course claim the money back from the other bank but if these funds have been transferred internationally the bank could struggle.  There are also some examples of UK banks refusing to return funds to other UK banks and basically saying "Its not our problem".

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

On a serious note (maybe someone who handles large sums of money as a job), does this thing normally happen? I would have thought that there would normally be standard insurance procedures for things like this?

Can I interest you in some vishing insurance?

For a one-off payment of £750k, you will never be the victim of fraud again!

23 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Fucking hell. I can’t believe anyone would fall for a scheme like that, let alone a football club. 

Loads of businesses in the Inverness area have been targeted over the last few months. The Highland Hospice charity lost a 6 figure sum similar to the way Hamilton have. It's fucking mental people still fall for it. 

Wish Accies all the best with this.  They have been a thorn in the side for us in recent history, but a well run club with fans who could easily follow the Old Firm. 

Hope Scottish Football bands together to help them through this if required, as they would for every other club (except The Rangers Football Club 2012 (who lost the Scottish Cup Final on 21 May 2016 3-2 to Hibernian FC) 2012, obviously, they can go to hell). 

Archived