Time for Video Technology

I believe it's time Scottish football start the introduction of video technology in aid of the referees. Goal line technology is a start but in my view it's not enough. I believe there should be video help available for

goals

red cards

Attacking free kicks and penalties

Offsides (that lead to a goal being scored)

This could be done one of 3 ways

Video ref steps in if on field ref has got a key decision wrong

On field ref could go to the video ref to clarify a key decision

On field captain could ask for a review of decision in a similar way to cricket. One review for each half if right keep review if wrong lose the review for that half.

Discuss

They've already started it in Australia but we've a problem to address before we do it here (even assuming it was only for top flight matches).

We don't have enough cameras at most games to make it useful.

I'm with you in that it should be a thing (also, can we start timing games properly?  Would it be so hard to have a stopwatch that stops when there's subs or injuries or timewasting?) but, given that we can't even afford more than two cameras, I doubt it'll be happening here any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

No. Part of the fun of football is that referees often get decisions wrong. This provides a talking point for post-match moans. Where would the fun be if referees got every decision right.

Hadn't realised that this was actually being trialled in tonight's France v England friendly. Completely disagree with the video referees decision on penalty for England and red card for France.

We have unrealistic faith in video technology. Although it is used successfully in tennis, cricket and even rugby these are usually yes/no or in/out decisions. Football incidents are open to much more interpretation. Despite intensive TV coverage managers, players, pundits and fans are unable to reach agreement on so many incidents. Referees themselves are subject to opinions and interpretation. I'm not surprised that there is such debate over the France v England match last night. Video technology is coming but it won't create a situation where everyone happily accepts every decision.

15 hours ago, Northboy said:

We have unrealistic faith in video technology. Although it is used successfully in tennis, cricket and even rugby these are usually yes/no or in/out decisions. Football incidents are open to much more interpretation. Despite intensive TV coverage managers, players, pundits and fans are unable to reach agreement on so many incidents. Referees themselves are subject to opinions and interpretation. I'm not surprised that there is such debate over the France v England match last night. Video technology is coming but it won't create a situation where everyone happily accepts every decision.

I don't doubt that decisions can still be 50-50 and go either way due to the referee interpretation of the incident. But I do think there will be a reduction in the number of decisions that are incorrectly made during a match. for example

The penalty given against Darren Fletcher against Lithuania for THAT DIVE 10 years ago.

Thierey Henry hand ball against the Irish in the final minutes of the playoff game in 2012 i think it was.

HAND OF GOD which of course was a header . . . 

This is just top of my head there are obviously dozens more over the years that video technology would of corrected. Its moments like the above mentioned that can be corrected and referee can get the assistance they need. 

Archived