Best footballing 11

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Like me you remember them having both Goram and Leighton?

Well, yes. I mean I've never watched a lot of Hibs at any point that didn't involve Falkirk or was a cup final etc but find it hard to see someone excluding those who clearly were better than that Marciano chap. I'd suggest there could well be others from pre 2000 that HB75 was too young / not born to remember.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I will take to my grave the memory of Tosher keeping the ball from about three Aberdeen players in the corner about 100 yards from our goal deep in injury time, winning a throw then turning to our fans and thumping his own chest. Magic. 

I wish we'd had him for longer.

That's my main memory of him - the first thing to come to mind when he's mentioned.

Goalkeeper - Struggling with this one, maybe go for Alan Combe who was actually much better than people gave him credit for.

Right Back - Erik Pedersen 

Left Back - Christian Kalvenes 

Centre Back - Siggi Jonsson

Centre Back - John Souttar (pains me to say this but in terms of technique we are pretty limited for options)

Right Mid - Andy McLaren

Centre Mid - Charlie Miller

Centre Mid - Lars Zetterlund

Left Mid - Barry Robson

Striker - Nadir Ciftci 

Striker - Kjell Olofsson 

Special mentions - Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Gauld, Jamie Dolan (very underrated IMO), Craig Conway, Karim Kerkar (cameo), Jan Telesnikov (cameo), David Fernandez, Morgaro Gomis, Danny Swanson, Gary Mackay-Steven

1 minute ago, stumigoo said:

Centre Back - John Souttar (pains me to say this but in terms of technique we are pretty limited for options)

Not sure how he has done for you with ball at feet but Mark Durnan was always seen as a pretty decent ball playing centre back with us.

Not sure how he has done for you with ball at feet but Mark Durnan was always seen as a pretty decent ball playing centre back with us.

I think he has regressed a little in that respect. He's not bad with the ball but he has only just this season started to get his confidence back after last year.

Goalkeeper - Struggling with this one, maybe go for Alan Combe who was actually much better than people gave him credit for.
Right Mid - Andy McLaren
Left Mid - Barry Robson
Striker - Nadir Ciftci 
Striker - Kjell Olofsson 

Special mentions - Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Gauld, Jamie Dolan (very underrated IMO), Craig Conway, Karim Kerkar (cameo), Jan Telesnikov (cameo), David Fernandez, Morgaro Gomis, Danny Swanson, Gary Mackay-Steven

Nae Andy Robertson?

I remember a cup game at our place a few seasons ago and he was absolutely brilliant. His deliveries into the box were a thing of beauty that night.

Some team you had back then, I mind being gutted we couldn't hold on.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Nae Andy Robertson?

I remember a cup game at our place a few seasons ago and he was absolutely brilliant. His deliveries into the box were a thing of beauty that night.

Some team you had back then, I mind being gutted we couldn't hold on.

I was close to putting him in but Kalvenes had better technique overall IMO. Robertson was an absolute machine in terms of pace and stamina.

One of the reasons some United fans have dealt with recent months so badly is that it was only 18-24 months ago that we had Robertson, Gauld, Armstrong, Ciftci etc. To fall so sharply in such a short space of time is difficult to cope with!

7 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Right Mid - Andy McLaren

Left Mid - Barry Robson

Striker - Nadir Ciftci 

Striker - Kjell Olofsson 

Not even giving Craig Brewster a mention? Shocked at how little his name has appeared in the thread given he played for 4 current championship clubs. He would be first name in my Rovers 11 if I could be bothered doing one.

7 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Not even giving Craig Brewster a mention? Shocked at how little his name has appeared in the thread given he played for 4 current championship clubs. He would be first name in my Rovers 11 if I could be bothered doing one.

Funnily enough I started watching United the season he left but my memory is pretty hazy as to his performances. When he came back as player/manager you could see his qualities but he only played 4 games so I can't put him ahead of others in my team.

Like me you remember them having both Goram and Leighton?

Aye but when was the passback rule? 93? Great goalies but standards have changed feetwise

Raul Ojeda

Paquito
Stanic
Narey
Krivokapic?

Nicholl
Carranza
Cameron

Brewster
Crawford
Dalziel

That's my main memory of him - the first thing to come to mind when he's mentioned.

My main memory (other than the goal of course) of Tosh in the semi is him smiling throughout the game. Every time the camera panned to him he was grinning. To enjoy such a game as well as put in a superb performance was incredible stuff. A quality player and goes alongside Bryce in my side. Both AM but I'll change to a 3-5-2 to accommodate them B)

GK Scott Thomson

RB Stephen McAnespie 

LB Goran Static

CB Miodrag Krivokapic and Dave Narey

MID Paul Hartley, Paquito and Tony Calderon 

FWD Ramon Pereira, Soren Anderson and Craig Brewster. 

Leif Nielsen

Kai Johansen      Neil Orr    Jim Duffy    Jim Holmes

Ross Forbes   Derek McInnes    Janne Lindberg    Andy Ritchie

Jim Tolmie    Joe Harper

1 hour ago, Crawford Baptie said:

GK - Tim Krul

RB - Davie Wer
CH - Ivo Den Beimen
CH - Neil Oliver
LB - Tommy McQueen

Mid - Alex Taylor
Mid - Russell Latapy
Mid - Craig McPherson

RCF - Kevin McCallister
CF - Simon Stainrod
LCF - Owen Coyle

Neil oliver? Really? Never gave less than 100 percent but technique and skill werent something i would ever associate with him. Neil Duffy maybe.

Archived