Best footballing 11

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Paul Burns was a far far better player in two spells for us than he apparently was with you. Bear in mind too that we've not played at Premier level in the colour tv era and haven't quite got the level of superstar to look back on that Dunfermline have over the years. I'm not utterly convinced by the argument that he's our best right sided midfielder in recent memory but right at this moment I can't think of anyone I'd pick over him. Dom Thomas was good but it was a short spell, not the decade or so Burns played for us. Danny Carmichael too at times has been outstanding but not as consistently good over the number of years Burns was.

John Stewart was a dreadful footballer over the piece but for that one contribution to a day of absolute magic he will NEVER have a buy a beer in Dumfries again. Not if he's anywhere near me anyway. :)

Yep, Burns and Stewart both being slated on here but they both had a big say in the best day I can remember supporting QoS, and I include the actual Final in that. John Stewart and Tom Brighton, what a forward line that would be.

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yep, Burns and Stewart both being slated on here but they both had a big say in the best day I can remember supporting QoS, and I include the actual Final in that. John Stewart and Tom Brighton, what a forward line that would be.

It's slightly ironic that in the scheme of all time player discussion, Stephen Dobbie would certainly merit debate for the best player in modern history at least whilst John Stewart would be lucky to make the top 1,000 but in the biggest result in our near 100 year history, one was a bit part player who limped off after 40 minutes whilst the other had the game of his life, made the second and scored the winner. Not the way around you would have imagined!

Hard to put together a full team but without a doubt Paul McGinn has been the best player that has passed through our ranks in my time supporting the Sons. An absolute flying machine who could whip ridiculous balls into the box and was solid defensively. Great to see him earn a movw down south and by all accounts holding his own.

Dobbie runs McGinn close, unfortunately he was slightly unfit, hence why he ended up with us. His first touch, vision and finishing ability was absolutely sublime.

Last but by no means least... Paddy Flannery is a true Sons legend. A real character on and off the field and truly deadly in the opposition box. My all time favourite Sons memory is him getting pelters for doing nothing one Saturday afternoon at Boghead before popping up with a goal and running straight towards the old duffers in our support giving it the 'shhh' gesture. If we had a goalscorer like him nowadays we'd be lucky to hold onto him for more than a season but we were lucky enough to have him for 6 or 7. The fact he was an absolute shagger simply added to his god like status. All hail the fucking king.

Andy Thomson (first spell) would be a good shout up front for Queens. Not only a prolific scorer but I'm sure his transfer helped fund building of the East Stand. The amazing  "B's" would probably form the basis of my team,  Ball, Barker, Balderstone and Bryce. Obviously can't leave out Dobbie so 3 up front. Bryce. Thomson and Dobbie. 

Keeper is hard, as we've had some good shotstoppers but I can't really think of any in particular who were good with the ball at their feet. Kris Mampaey maybe? 

In defence, Youssef Rossi could play a bit as could Andrei Skerla. Callum Morris fancies himself as a bit of a Beckenbauer so he makes up the back three. 

In midfield, I'm too young to have seen the likes of Smith, Paton and Edwards so I have to go with more recent 'ballers". Istvan Kozma is a must have, and in more recent times Adam Hamill did a nice line in flashy dribbling (his end product wasn't quite as good sadly). Barry Nicholson was a clever player and could find a pass when nothing looked on and to allow my front three to play I'll cheat somewhat and pick Craig Brewster as a forward thinking midfielder. 

Up front, the best and most intelligent combinations I've seen play for the Pars were Crawford and Brewster, and Kozma and O'Boyle so Stevie Crawford and George O'Boyle go straight in to latch onto through balls from the midfield. The third man is Faissal el Bakhtaoui - his close control and first touch were often excellent and once he learned how to play 11 a side properly he developed into a tidy player. An honourable mention though must go to Ross Jack, who nearly made the team but would be a great sub. 

tl;dr version: Mampaey; Rossi, Morris, Skerla; Nicholson, Kozma, Brewster, Hamill; el Bakhtaoui, Crawford, O'Boyle.

Tony Parks
Gary Smith
Andy Gray
Gary Gillespie
Brian Rice
Crunchie
Russell latapy 
Alex Taylor
Chris Waddle
Simon Stainrod
Anthony Stokes

Would be a beautiful side to watch and you'll be hard pushed to get a team to beat them.

Agree with most of that but would have mo Johnston in for stokes and swap Alex Taylor for a full back for more balance. I liked mcquilken myself cultured left foot great crosser

15 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Agree with most of that but would have mo Johnston in for stokes and swap Alex Taylor for a full back for more balance. I liked mcquilken myself cultured left foot great crosser

Gary Smith and Brian Rice are my full backs.

My team is

Ian Westwater
Jackie McNamara
Derek Fleming
Norrie McCathie
Andrius Skerla
Barry Nicholson
Allan Moore
Hamish French
Ross Jack
John Watson
Istvan Kozma

The aim of this is to see which players in terms of passing ability, technique and composure would make the greatest 11 in your time supporting the club.

Rm Paul Burns A guy that usually stuck to doing the simple things. His crossing was usually spot on.

Er. This is awkward.

Surprised at no mention of Tosh? By the Qots fans, classy player. Scored in the semi with his dick aswell I'm sure.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Alan Martin

Paul McGinn -- Gordon Lennon -- Neil Collins -- Craig Brittain

Andy Stirling -- Chris Turner -- Scott Agnew -- Stevie Murray

Chris Kane -- Stephen Dobbie

I've done that in 5 minutes and I've no doubt missed someone, but f**k me that was hard. I feel dirty leaving Nade out that team but Kano and Dobbie were different class. It was also a toss up between Jon Routledge and Chris Turner in midfield but CT wins on account of his goalie glove story. Andy Graham just misses out for Guido. No surprise that the majority of those players have played for us in the last 5-6 years, this is the highest I've seen us play. Had a hard time filling the wide players, Robert Thomson probably could've got in at left mid but I loved wee Stevie Murray, he was tremendous for us.

What's the story? 

Anyhow here's mine

Alan Martin

Paul McGinn     Donald McNeil  Stuart Findlay  Craig Brittain

Allan Moore     Sam Stanton     Chris Turner      Chic Charnley

Christian Nade         Bryan Prunty 

Archived