Best footballing 11

The aim of this is to see which players in terms of passing ability, technique and composure would make the greatest 11 in your time supporting the club.

Gk Zander Clark was a big tall keeper who looked to play out from the back.

Rb Eric Paton So classy on the ball. His ability to create space with his touch was the best I have seen at Queens along with Dobbie. Brilliant technician but not great defensively

Cb Martyn Lancaster A lot will be forgetting who he is but what I remember is a guy who was very comfortable on the ball and a decent defender to boot.

Cb Brian Reid Was a tough call between Reid, Dowie and Lovell for other cb roll but Reid you could see had played at a higher level with his use of the ball. Strolled it usually.

Lb Bob Harris We haven't really had any great footballing lbs as such. Alan Reid was always neat and tidy but for me after a rocky start Harris became more and more comfortable on the ball and his athleticism was a real asset during our good spell.

Rm Paul Burns A guy that usually stuck to doing the simple things. His crossing was usually spot on.

Cm Mark Kerr Hate to say it but an absolute class act. Loved the way he operated. He made such incisive passes and always made good angles to receive the ball. Such a shame he left.

Cm Derek Young. Similar to Kerr. Very neat and tidy with the added bonus that he was particularly effective at nicking the ball as well

Lm Willie Gibson A very good talent with brilliant technique. Sometimes because he was so good would try the world cup pass too many times but it was because he had such belief in himself.

Cf Derek Lyle Now he is older and wiser Lyle over the last few years has been better than ever. His touch is now sublime and his link up play excellent

Cf Steven Dobbie Quite simply the best player to ever wear the Queens shirt no matter how you look at it. Not only does he score barrowloads, he also possesses the ability to control the ball in a way which is far beyond anything we have ever seen from anyone else. We are lucky he was so out of shape to start with because if he was in shape he would have been in the Epl not Dumbarton when we got him 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan Martin

Paul McGinn -- Gordon Lennon -- Neil Collins -- Craig Brittain

Andy Stirling -- Chris Turner -- Scott Agnew -- Stevie Murray

Chris Kane -- Stephen Dobbie

I've done that in 5 minutes and I've no doubt missed someone, but f**k me that was hard. I feel dirty leaving Nade out that team but Kano and Dobbie were different class. It was also a toss up between Jon Routledge and Chris Turner in midfield but CT wins on account of his goalie glove story. Andy Graham just misses out for Guido. No surprise that the majority of those players have played for us in the last 5-6 years, this is the highest I've seen us play. Had a hard time filling the wide players, Robert Thomson probably could've got in at left mid but I loved wee Stevie Murray, he was tremendous for us.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Kieran McAnespie was quality at nothing.

Clearly you were more interested in destroying a couple of substandard pies than seeing the main attraction. One man, one ball, one dream & 15 minutes.

I can't be bothered going through a whole team, so I'll do it by position:

Goalkeeper - Alan Martin's about as good as I've seen at the rock, but I've been over this. Danny Rogers was sublime too.

Defender - Easy. Big Stuart Findlay. A Rolls Royce of a centre-half, stupidly good on the ball, rapid, confident, he has the lot. Hope he has some success at Newcastle as he's a great guy.

Midfielder - Sam Stanton is right up there for me. When he settled down he had an ability to do things that few players could manage at this level. His performance at Palmerston was great evidence of that fact.

Striker - Dobbie. Obviously. Chris Kane comes close. Not as naturally gifted as Dobbie, but with an incredible knack of scoring goals, and a real hardworker who never gives the defence a minute. Almost like Kenny Miller in that regard.

Edit: Stevie Murray deserves a shout in the midfield section. He could do things with a football that shouldn't have been possible.

20 minutes ago, football maniac said:

The aim of this is to see which players in terms of passing ability, technique and composure would make the greatest 11 in your time supporting the club.

Gk Zander Clark was a big tall keeper who looked to play out from the back.

Rb Eric Paton So classy on the ball. His ability to create space with his touch was the best I have seen at Queens along with Dobbie. Brilliant technician but not great defensively

Cb Martyn Lancaster A lot will be forgetting who he is but what I remember is a guy who was very comfortable on the ball and a decent defender to boot.

Cb Brian Reid Was a tough call between Reid, Dowie and Lovell for other cb roll but Reid you could see had played at a higher level with his use of the ball. Strolled it usually.

Lb Bob Harris We haven't really had any great footballing lbs as such. Alan Reid was always neat and tidy but for me after a rocky start Harris became more and more comfortable on the ball and his athleticism was a real asset during our good spell.

Rm Paul Burns A guy that usually stuck to doing the simple things. His crossing was usually spot on.

Cm Mark Kerr Hate to say it but an absolute class act. Loved the way he operated. He made such incisive passes and always made good angles to receive the ball. Such a shame he left.

Cm Derek Young. Similar to Kerr. Very neat and tidy with the added bonus that he was particularly effective at nicking the ball as well

Lm Willie Gibson A very good talent with brilliant technique. Sometimes because he was so good would try the world cup pass too many times but it was because he had such belief in himself.

Cf Derek Lyle Now he is older and wiser Lyle over the last few years has been better than ever. His touch is now sublime and his link up play excellent

Cf Steven Dobbie Quite simply the best player to ever wear the Queens shirt no matter how you look at it. Not only does he score barrowloads, he also possesses the ability to control the ball in a way which is far beyond anything we have ever seen from anyone else. We are lucky he was so out of shape to start with because if he was in shape he would have been in the Epl not Dumbarton when we got him 

I'd probably have Jamie MacDonald ahead of Zander Clark (just).

I'd definitely put Chris Mitchell ahead of Eric Paton.

He wasn't really a centre half as such but if we're including him there because his best games were as a sweeper then Stuart Lovell was by miles and miles our most skilled centre half in my time. Brian Reid is probably as good a shout as any to partner him.

Kerr and Young played the same position. Wouldn't include both of them and it's a tough call which. I'd partner one of them with either Ian McShane or John O'Neill in terms of sheer ability. McShane was the better of the two when we didn't have the ball though. Or Tommy Bryce?

I'd have Jimmy Robertson ahead of Willie Gibson too.

Just off the top of my head, might think of different ones later.

Just now, thelocalcat said:

Clearly you were more interested in destroying a couple of substandard pies than seeing the main attraction. One man, one ball, one dream & 15 minutes.

My favourite McAnespie memory was when he came on as substitute and received a throw-in to his feet as soon as he came on. With no opposition players within 10 yards of him, he immediately blootered the ball directly into the Cowshed, straight back over the throw-in takers head with his first touch. No one knows why.

Customary nostalgic reminder of how ridiculous Morton were with money as recently as 10 years ago: we paid a transfer fee for Kieran McAnespie.

Paul Burns is the best right midfielder you've EVER seen at your club? I knew things were desperate down in Tory, farming, country bumpkin land but oh ya fucker. :lol:

Tony Parks

Gary Smith

Andy Gray

Gary Gillespie

Brian Rice

Crunchie

Russell latapy 

Alex Taylor

Chris Waddle

Simon Stainrod

Anthony Stokes

Would be a beautiful side to watch and you'll be hard pushed to get a team to beat them.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

My favourite McAnespie memory was when he came on as substitute and received a throw-in to his feet as soon as he came on. With no opposition players within 10 yards of him, he immediately blootered the ball directly into the Cowshed, straight back over the throw-in takers head with his first touch. No one knows why.

Customary nostalgic reminder of how ridiculous Morton were with money as recently as 10 years ago: we paid a transfer fee for Kieran McAnespie.

I have no memory of him during his short spell with us, other than him getting injured in the warmup.

He lives/lived in Milngavie though, so I'm sure he's a top guy.

6 minutes ago, smpar said:

Paul Burns is the best right midfielder you've EVER seen at your club? I knew things were desperate down in Tory, farming, country bumpkin land but oh ya fucker. :lol:

He's a fair shout. We got the best years out of him, he wasn't the same player after you lot ruined him. 

He's a fair shout. We got the best years out of him, he wasn't the same player after you lot ruined him. 

When a player as shite as Paul Burns spends a year at your club, it's hard to imagine that he was ever any good.

Just now, thelocalcat said:

No idea who he is but I'll guarantee he's better than wee John

Craig Lynes' football career lasted 5 years and it was clear to see why. He was an absolute carthorse. I remember being a ball boy behind the goal one day, Lynes actually beat his man for once, got into the box and then collapsed in a heap. Screaming at the ref for a penalty with his arms aloft, he asks the ref "why would I go down there? I was through on goal". The ref replied with the best Alan Partridge shrug of the shoulders I've seen whilst laughing at him as he ran away. I simply do not believe there was a worse player than him involved in Scottish football.

38 minutes ago, smpar said:

Paul Burns was a far far better player in two spells for us than he apparently was with you. Bear in mind too that we've not played at Premier level in the colour tv era and haven't quite got the level of superstar to look back on that Dunfermline have over the years. I'm not utterly convinced by the argument that he's our best right sided midfielder in recent memory but right at this moment I can't think of anyone I'd pick over him. Dom Thomas was good but it was a short spell, not the decade or so Burns played for us. Danny Carmichael too at times has been outstanding but not as consistently good over the number of years Burns was.

35 minutes ago, thelocalcat said:

We paid for John Stewart, nobody is ever topping that.

29 minutes ago, thelocalcat said:

No idea who he is but I'll guarantee he's better than wee John

John Stewart was a dreadful footballer over the piece but for that one contribution to a day of absolute magic he will NEVER have a buy a beer in Dumfries again. Not if he's anywhere near me anyway. :)

Archived