The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On the evidence of tonights performance I was not impressed with Buchanan who in all honesty looks a bomb scare. It's early days and hopefully he gets better, but for me Jack Baird is a better centre half.

The return of Harry Davis will help but we also need a decent striker on board before the league starts.

On the evidence of tonights performance I was not impressed with Buchanan who in all honesty looks a bomb scare. It's early days and hopefully he gets better, but for me Jack Baird is a better centre half.
The return of Harry Davis will help but we also need a decent striker on board before the league starts.

Maybe not quite a bombscare yet but certainly very suspect in defence. He was sold to us as a solid no nonsense centre half, he showed none of that tonight. Then again we should remember that was by Dumbarton fans who have a penchant for touting very average footballers as superstars.

I'd certainly like to see the return of Jack Baird in at centre half for the foreseeable future. I think he was very hard done by in the first instance to lose his place.

2 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Maybe not quite a bombscare yet but certainly very suspect in defence. He was sold to us as a solid no nonsense centre half, he showed none of that tonight. Then again we should remember that was by Dumbarton fans who have a penchant for touting very average footballers as superstars.

I'd certainly like to see the return of Jack Baird in at centre half for the foreseeable future. I think he was very hard done by in the first instance to lose his place.

I think Baird will start at firhill on sat, Jack Baird is far more adept when it comes to a no nonsense centre back, his distribution is better than Buchanan from what I've seen of him.  Buchanan could possibly be a squad player when Harry Davis returns.

Agree with the Buchanan/Baird point. Tough to judge Buchanan on little game time but I think Baird looks stronger, faster, and better in the air.

What struck me tonight was how easily Livingston out muscled us in every position. Their players looked much stronger and really bullied us all over the park.

Sutton when he came on made a (albeit slight) difference by winning some headers, and O'Keefe and Kirkpatrick did well by being direct.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

:lol:

You're a complete loonball.

Scott Agnew scored against us at the weekend, so his ineptitude while playing for us is fresh in the memory.

I'm not going to pretend I don't care about the League Cup, and I actually like this format, but it does make these games feel a lot like friendlies. I definitely can't muster the same rage as the hive mind on BaWA seems to manage :lol:

Agree that our right-hand side looks weak. I bet Magennis ends up out there most weeks when he's fit.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Scott Agnew scored against us at the weekend, so his ineptitude while playing for us is fresh in the memory.

I don't remember any Sons fan saying he was a super star, in fact we all said he was a good player for us but probably isn't what St Mirren needed.

Buchanan has come with praise from not just Sons fans but opposition fans. Bombscare is certainly not a phrase ever connected to him. 

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't remember any Sons fan saying he was a super star, in fact we all said he was a good player for us but probably isn't what St Mirren needed.

Buchanan has come with praise from not just Sons fans but opposition fans. Bombscare is certainly not a phrase ever connected to him. 

His career with us has certainly started on shaky footing but everyone is allowed a bad game.

More concerning was that the boy playing number 10 Livingston was giving away a good foot to him yet he bullied Buchanan mercilessly both on the ground and in the air and made him look physically weak. If fact he terrorised him to the point where he had a relatively simple choice to pass it back to the goalie with the livi lad about 6 yards and closing down but not applying real pressure and he completely panicked and launched it away for a shy. 

As I said, everyone has a poor game and that's allowed. I don't like seeing 6ft4 centre halves bullied by guys smaller and lighter. That concerns me. 

. Bombscare is certainly not a phrase ever connected to him. 

The highlights from a game at EEP last season weren't great for him.

He's an alright centre back, more lower end championship level though than top.

Said it already that Buchanan does not look solid, but he has looked solid in the past when playing for Dumbarton, so for me it's a case of him finding form. I suppose it's a coin toss between allowing a player to play into form or to drop them; both options have their relevant pros and cons, so it'll be interesting to see how Ross manages this. Personally I don't think Baird did anything wrong in the last part of last season and would maybe have played him, with McKenzie as the two main centre backs.

Davis coming in, if he does, I think will improve things - all with the caveats regarding his continued fitness - but that won't be for a couple of months.

Buchanan didn't exactly hit the ground running with us either. He took some time to settle, but once he did he was invaluble.

Given that he's just stepped up to full-time, is playing for a club with a larger fanbase with bigger expectations then I'm sure it will take him a bit of time to find his feet.

I imagine the decent St Mirren fans will understand that. They will also understand that certain players work at certain clubs and he may never come good in Paisley despite his stellar form for us. Buddies06smfc wont understand this because he's an utter simpleton.

Would agree that the right hand side was a concern last night. I'm a huge Irvine fan but he had a terrible game, and Stewart really looked like a striker shunted into midfield.

I thought McShane and Stelios both had a good first half but were very quiet in the second. O'Keefe and Kilpatrick both played well when they came on.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

His career with us has certainly started on shaky footing but everyone is allowed a bad game.

More concerning was that the boy playing number 10 Livingston was giving away a good foot to him yet he bullied Buchanan mercilessly both on the ground and in the air and made him look physically weak. If fact he terrorised him to the point where he had a relatively simple choice to pass it back to the goalie with the livi lad about 6 yards and closing down but not applying real pressure and he completely panicked and launched it away for a shy. 

As I said, everyone has a poor game and that's allowed. I don't like seeing 6ft4 centre halves bullied by guys smaller and lighter. That concerns me. 

Strange, he's normally very aggressive in these situations.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

The highlights from a game at EEP last season weren't great for him.

He's an alright centre back, more lower end championship level though than top.

Considering that game included the two central midfielders in front of him nutting each other and Darren Barr deciding to do a clown walking across a minefield impression then it's not exactly the best game to judge him on. He's been more than capable at this level for us, still don't think anyone called him a super star.

Buchanan was poor last night. Bullied all night by the Livingston forwards, who hardly set the heather alight and who were mainly just winning out balls.

Ross alluded in his press conference that our team was too 'nice' and certainly we weren't as streetwise or committed as Livi who hammered into tackles and booted the ball away at every opportunity.   

6 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Ross alluded in his press conference that our team was too 'nice' and certainly we weren't as streetwise or committed as Livi who hammered into tackles and booted the ball away at every opportunity.   

I posted something very similar on B&WA yesterday, before the game, as it happens. Our successful teams have always had a b*****d. 

Livingston were poor technically, but they're big and physical, committed in defence and took the only real chance they got. That said, we deserved what we got, we need to learn to compete physically and break these teams down because, at home, that's what we're going to face more often than not this season.

Buchanan looked uneasy and lacked a bit of confidence, I don't think dropping him will improve that, I'm sure there's a decent centre back in there somewhere.

Highlight of the night for me was young O'Keefe. Came on as a young guy against a team who'd been kicking lumps out of our players all night and ran at them without an ounce of hesitation. He was unlucky not to end the game with a brace and an assist. He'd get a start against Partick for me, Stewart didn't really do much wrong, but Conor looks to be a natural winger with a bit of pace and skill, deserves his chance.