The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

34 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

He doesn't tackle, doesn't score, can't pass, isn't especially quick and his set-pieces are awful.  I've simply never been able to understand the hype, or what he brings to a team.

The kind of player you realise is playing 20 minutes into the game.

'He doesn't tackle' - It's not his forte. He does however break up play very well by getting in opponents faces and his box to box mobility is excellent. His defensive reading of the game positionally is fine.

'He doesn't score' - He doesn't score many certainly. It's not what he's there for though. Dobbie doesn't defend corners very well but we don't tend to criticise him for it. He's more of a goal threat than either Mark Kerr or Derek Young ever were though and you didn't label them with that criticism.

'He can't pass' - Not sure if we're talking about the same player! He's a terrific passer of the ball.

'He isn't especially quick' - Agreed, he's not.

'His set pieces are awful' - His corner delivery is patchy though it was made to look worse by comparison having effectively replaced the best set piece crosser we have had in 30 years watching Queens. His free kicks were generally decent and he scored 1 or 2 at County as I recall.

I agree though that he's one of those players who will hugely split opinion. Fans will either appreciate what he brings to the team or they won't be able to see it at all. I've said before and hinted above, he's a player you only really notice how much you need him when he's not playing. You may not realise he is playing for 20 minutes but you'd have long since noticed if he wasn't in that time.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

'He doesn't tackle' - It's not his forte. He does however break up play very well by getting in opponents faces and his box to box mobility is excellent. His defensive reading of the game positionally is fine.

'He doesn't score' - He doesn't score many certainly. It's not what he's there for though. Dobbie doesn't defend corners very well but we don't tend to criticise him for it. He's more of a goal threat than either Mark Kerr or Derek Young ever were though and you didn't label them with that criticism.

'He can't pass' - Not sure if we're talking about the same player! He's a terrific passer of the ball.

'He isn't especially quick' - Agreed, he's not.

'His set pieces are awful' - His corner delivery is patchy though it was made to look worse by comparison having effectively replaced the best set piece crosser we have had in 30 years watching Queens. His free kicks were generally decent and he scored 1 or 2 at County as I recall.

I agree though that he's one of those players who will hugely split opinion. Fans will either appreciate what he brings to the team or they won't be able to see it at all. I've said before and hinted above, he's a player you only really notice how much you need him when he's not playing. You may not realise he is playing for 20 minutes but you'd have long since noticed if he wasn't in that time.

Yes, however Dobbie makes up for his poor corner defending by excelling in other aspects of the game.  The purpose of me bringing goalscoring into it, and I think you know this, is that I highlighted some of the main attributes associated with midfield players to make the point that I don't think he is very good at any of them.  Hence my conclusion that I don't understand what he brings to a team.

I don't intend spamming the Buddies any longer, I think we are both very clear where each of us stand on the Ian McShane subject.  They'll be able to make their own judgements very shortly.  In the meantime they could pop over to the Ross County thread and read some not too complimentary comments from their fans. :P

Can't really see a place for Rocco Quinn now with McGinn, Magennis & McShane playing for the central midfield roles. Thought young Cammy MacPherson has looked decent in pre season, too.

We've certainly not replaced Stevie Mallan but I this is the closest we can get..

18 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

So ,in summary .not quick,shit delivery from corners,,hardly ever scores,not keen on a tackle but a good passer and gets in your face .Hes coming home,hes coming home

Ian's coming home 

At least you're not shy about promoting your own brand of illiteracy on two different forums.:thumsup2

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

His corners were pretty good at County, the best at the club.  He scored two cracking free-kicks and a good goal outside the box vs Aberdeen.  Shame it didn't turn out for him, I liked him.  He's a better player for the same role than Paul Lawson was at the same age (and St Mirren fans chortle but Lawson is my all-time fave County player).

Edited by bunglebonce

1 hour ago, RossC93 said:

Can't really see a place for Rocco Quinn now with McGinn, Magennis & McShane playing for the central midfield roles. Thought young Cammy MacPherson has looked decent in pre season, too.

We've certainly not replaced Stevie Mallan but I this is the closest we can get..

There's also Kirkpatrick.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

And Josh Todd.

Think Quinn will be gone sooner or later if someone wants him. A real shame as he has plenty to offer when fit....but he's never, ever fit and if you want to build a team around a core of players, a guy who is fit for 1/3rd of the season isn't going to be called upon.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

And Josh Todd.

Think Quinn will be gone sooner or later if someone wants him. A real shame as he has plenty to offer when fit....but he's never, ever fit and if you want to build a team around a core of players, a guy who is fit for 1/3rd of the season isn't going to be called upon.

I think those two fit into one of the 'three behind the striker' roles. I'm assuming McShane would sit deeper.

Could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think those two fit into one of the 'three behind the striker' roles. I'm assuming McShane would sit deeper.

Could be wrong.

It's a crime to play Kirky anywhere other than centrally in behind the striker. He should do a fine job in there with McGinn and McShane behind him, if he doesn't cut it at full-time now it could be a part time career for him, I've no doubt he'll be out to impress. He also has far more ability than Josh Todd.

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's a crime to play Kirky anywhere other than centrally in behind the striker. He should do a fine job in there with McGinn and McShane behind him, if he doesn't cut it at full-time now it could be a part time career for him, I've no doubt he'll be out to impress. He also has far more ability than Josh Todd.

Cool. That's what I was picturing. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

His problem is that I can see Cammy Smith in that role and think Kirkpatrick will have a fight on his hands to displace Smith. 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

His problem is that I can see Cammy Smith in that role and think Kirkpatrick will have a fight on his hands to displace Smith. 

I can see them both playing together.

While Magennis is out, front six of:

--------  McShane - McGinn ----------

Smith---- Kirkpatrick-----Morgan

-------------Reilly ------------

But on the basis that Smith and Kirkpatrick are fluid, but at least one of them has got to be getting beyond Reilly (or whoever is up front).

@McG - that a guess or have you heard something about this one, too?

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I can see them both playing together.

While Magennis is out, front six of:

--------  McShane - McGinn ----------

Smith---- Kirkpatrick-----Morgan

-------------Reilly ------------

But on the basis that Smith and Kirkpatrick are fluid, but at least one of them has got to be getting beyond Reilly (or whoever is up front).

@McG - that a guess or have you heard something about this one, too?

Just a guess :) also Airdrie aren't budging with there price for Andy Ryan, still holding out for the 75k.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I know little about him beyond his seaside league scoring record. Is he thought to be good enough?

Seems to be.

If Davis does sign it won't be until the end of this month I hear, good chance though.