The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

Interested to see how much Celtic will give us for Morgan. Forrest offered 500k but were knocked back because they weren't going to loan him back.

So £500k with a loan back would probably be about right and in line with the figures being chucked around yesterday.

Crazy given his contract situation, but I think Brendan likes us/Jack and might be helping us out a bit here.

Probably get screwed a bit on the McGinn deal if players and other add ons  are discounted. If we get a decent wedge for McGinn and Morgan it's not all bad. 

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

So £500k with a loan back would probably be about right and in line with the figures being chucked around yesterday.

Crazy given his contract situation, but I think Brendan likes us/Jack and might be helping us out a bit here.

They certainly aren't "helping us out". They'll want the player and work out the best way to get him ahead of other suitors. 

3 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

They certainly aren't "helping us out". They'll want the player and work out the best way to get him ahead of other suitors. 

OK, I overstated that, but I reckon they would have a decent chance in open contract negotiations if there was no transfer fee involved, ie from January on a PCA. I'm not complaining, but I really don't see why clubs are offering fees for Morgan.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Probably get screwed a bit on the McGinn deal if players and other add ons  are discounted. If we get a decent wedge for McGinn and Morgan it's not all bad. 

OK, I overstated that, but I reckon they would have a decent chance in open contract negotiations if there was no transfer fee involved, ie from January on a PCA. I'm not complaining, but I really don't see why clubs are offering fees for Morgan.

The same way we offered a fee for Mullen. It's to guarantee getting the player.

Fair play to the club and the player himself for sticking to their guns. Lewis wants to help us have a shot at promotion, the club have said he will be with us until the end of the season regardless and the player isn't desperate to move.

My worry is Celtic will be aware of other clubs interest and could offer less but guarantee the player can stay on loan at us.

20 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

My worry is Celtic will be aware of other clubs interest and could offer less but guarantee the player can stay on loan at us.

I kind of agree, but the boy staying till the end of the season will clearly assist us in getting up a division.  The finances associated with that are potentially many times greater than the difference of what we may lose out on by him staying till the end of the season.  

I was speaking to a Dundee United fan the other day, he was talking about the guys they sold to Celtic the year the got relegated.  (Armstrong and GMS IIRC).  All the cash they got for them was wiped outby their drop out the division. 

Edited by Doctor Sanchez

1 hour ago, wee_bairn said:

Maybe replace him with some of our shite...

You jest, but to be honest there are probably a few players in your squad that could still do a job. Jack Ross also has a decent record of getting a lot out of players.

I'd be quite happy to see Loy back for a start, although the signing of Mullen might have ended any chance of that. Hippolyte is inconsistent but can cause teams problems, Sibbald always looked a good player. If either of these guys came in I wouldn't be disappointed.

I kind of agree, but the boy staying till the end of the season will clearly assist us in getting up a division.  The finances associated with that are potentially many times greater than the difference of what we may lose out on by him staying till the end of the season.  
I was speaking to a Dundee United fan the other day, he was talking about the guys they sold to Celtic the year the got relegated.  (Armstrong and GMS IIRC).  All the cash they got for them was wiped outby their drop out the division. 

Definitely. We have a better chance of going up with Morgan than without, the club and player have been consistent in their stance. The exact opposite of the Malian situation, looking back if he left last January we would have went down.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Right - time to have that discussion.

He can stay.

To be fair, there have been some St Mirren fans calling for his head this season. Granted it's all either attention seeking weirdos, people who don't actually go to games or folk who took the decision not to give the job to Gus MacPherson extremely personally, but they do exist.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

To be fair, there have been some St Mirren fans calling for his head this season. Granted it's all either attention seeking weirdos, people who don't actually go to games or folk who took the decision not to give the job to Gus MacPherson extremely personally, but they do exist.

I'm happy to admit that my first choice would have been to bring back MacPherson. I even think I indulged in a 'it gives me no pleasure to have been right' after a couple of particularly bad defeats.

Also happy to admit now that I was wrong (very wrong). Anyone who has called for Ross's head this season needs to have a look at themselves.

Edited by houston_bud

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Never really had much of an opinion on Alex Rae but after the last few months of his radio exploits I canna stand the guy. No wonder he got the punt from you, absolute wankstain.

Keep up the good work geeing him stick on social media please lads.

I get the impression he's managed to get this far through his life without anybody pointing out what a c**t he is, and now it's happening, he can't deal.