djchapsticks

The St. Mirren FC 2018/19 Thread

We warned that he needed a decent assistant. Jack Ross was there long before Murray and was part of the management team which saw us so far out of our depth in this division. It wasn't until Murray arrived that things drastically changed. To say it was all down to Ross is false IMO, regardless of the fact that Ross is doing a better job now.
I'm sure Murray will have learned a lot in Norway and will probably do a decent job with youth teams.

It should be added that Jack Ross was also given the reins for a few games and overseen a couple of drubbings including a 5-1 pumping off Morton and a 4-0 pumping off Dunfermline as well as a 4-3 defeat at home to Airdrie. Although he did bag us our first win, albeit it was away at Cowden.

Whilst our style of play changed after Ross left for Hearts Murray still comfortably kept us up without him. Incredibly harsh to give him all the credit. It was more a case of Murray working better with an assistant who isn't a 'yes man' with ideas of their own to implement. Spalding was not that man.

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We warned that he needed a decent assistant. Jack Ross was there long before Murray and was part of the management team which saw us so far out of our depth in this division. It wasn't until Murray arrived that things drastically changed. To say it was all down to Ross is false IMO, regardless of the fact that Ross is doing a better job now.

I'm sure Murray will have learned a lot in Norway and will probably do a decent job with youth teams.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It should be added that Jack Ross was also given the reins for a few games and overseen a couple of drubbings including a 5-1 pumping off Morton and a 4-0 pumping off Dunfermline as well as a 4-3 defeat at home to Airdrie. Although he did bag us our first win, albeit it was away at Cowden.

Whilst our style of play changed after Ross left for Hearts Murray still comfortably kept us up without him. Incredibly harsh to give him all the credit. It was more a case of Murray working better with an assistant who isn't a 'yes man' with ideas of their own to implement. Spalding was not that man.

OK, cheers guys, thanks for clarifying.

I guess Lewis is this season's official Hot Property. It's inevitable after the national team's latest (in)glorious failure that people want to start to look at what's coming through next in terms of young players, and Morgan fits the bill. People were paying attention anyway, but Brendan Rodgers' comments have pretty much doubled his quoted value. Interest from proper teams down south - Blues and Forest - won't do us any harm either. We're now in the incredible position of teams potentially being prepared to pay huge amounts (huge for us), and potentially even loan him back to the end of the season, just so they can have him in the summer.
I can't remember the last time there was this much genuine interest in a Saints player - and when you consider we've lost McLean and McGinn in recent years, that's really surprising.

Lewis's performances at U21 have made people take notice. Only Championship player and best performer in the 4 games he played outshining £15m Oliver Burke. I think it is these performances that have made managers realise what a talent he is.

7 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Lewis's performances at U21 have made people take notice. Only Championship player and best performer in the 4 games he played outshining £15m Oliver Burke. I think it is these performances that have made managers realise what a talent he is.

Aye, true.

The best thing for us is that other young players will see that if you come to Saints, you'll get your chance in our team, get your chance in the national age groups, and get your big move.

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye, true.

The best thing for us is that other young players will see that if you come to Saints, you'll get your chance in our team, get your chance in the national age groups, and get your big move.

Is this the young boy who comes from Gourock?

11 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I believe so.

26 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Yep. We picked him up when Sevco let him go.

(Apparently that entitles the horrible fuckers to a cut of any development  fee, though I can't figure out why, given they released him. Shouldn't apply in those circumstances, imo.)

Yep. We picked him up when Sevco let him go.
(Apparently that entitles the horrible fuckers to a cut of any development  fee, though I can't figure out why, given they released him. Shouldn't apply in those circumstances, imo.)

Is it a fact or speculation that they get a cut? I'd have thought if they were due a cut they'd have been due one when Kyle McAllister went south too. Surely if they didn't offer him a contract they are due f**k all?

12 hours ago, Fony Titz said:

Is it a fact or speculation that they get a cut? I'd have thought if they were due a cut they'd have been due one when Kyle McAllister went south too. Surely if they didn't offer him a contract they are due f**k all?

Not speculation. 

15 hours ago, Fony Titz said:

No cut for McAllister as he didn't go for a development fee.

1 hour ago, Fony Titz said:

OK so if we sell Morgan in January they get nothing?

Not according to one of our Greenock friends.

I'm sure he'll come on at some point to give you the details from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

On 19/10/2017 at 08:06, Coventry Saint said:

I can't remember the last time there was this much genuine interest in a Saints player - and when you consider we've lost McLean and McGinn in recent years, that's really surprising.

The last player I can remember with this attention was probably Ricky Gillies. He was doing well in U21s as well at the time. Of course Fitzy maybe had a lot to do with publicity. 

On 19/10/2017 at 02:49, Ludo*1 said:

Ian Murray is being linked as our new 'Head of Academy' with us trying to meet the requirements for Project Brave. I know he was an utter disaster with you lot, but were there any redeeming features?

nice hair

21 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Not according to one of our Greenock friends.

I'm sure he'll come on at some point to give you the details from the horse's mouth arse, so to speak.

So with the start of the next quarter of games happening tomorrow what do we think Jacks target will be? Remember we'll be facing Falkirk, United, ICT all away this section.

So with the start of the next quarter of games happening tomorrow what do we think Jacks target will be? Remember we'll be facing Falkirk, United, ICT all away this section.

Indeed two of the bottom 3, games we need to target points from to win a league.