The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I'd have taken top 3 after the first quarter. So to be top is great. 

Suppose it's cautionary and encouraging at the same time that we're top in spite of not actually having played that well in the last 3 league games. We've still got about 4 or 5 first team players to return as well. Arguably our best two centre halves and best central mid are included in that lot. 

Think we will certainly be top 4 which most buds would have taken before a ball was kicked given there was a fair bit of knickerwetting in pre season. 

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd have taken top 3 after the first quarter. So to be top is great. 

Suppose it's cautionary and encouraging at the same time that we're top in spite of not actually having played that well in the last 3 league games. We've still got about 4 or 5 first team players to return as well. Arguably our best two centre halves and best central mid are included in that lot. 

Think we will certainly be top 4 which most buds would have taken before a ball was kicked given there was a fair bit of knickerwetting in pre season. 

When you consider the 5-0 league cup horsing at firhill at the beginning of the season, then this is a very pleasant surprise to be top of the league towards the end of the first quarter. 

There aren't any outstanding teams in this league so with that in mind we definitely have nothing to fear.

Gary Mac  Kyle Magennis and Harry Davis are quality players at this level so with all 3 set to return we have a very decent squad, and a decent chance of top four, as long as we tighten up at the back and start conceding less goals.

16 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

What's the feeling over this way? You're looking every bit the league winners a lot of folk expected. Can you keep it up?

I think there are still concerns over our strikeforce, though Cammy Smith is weighing in with more goals than we perhaps expected him to. What a signing he has been. The next few matches are important for Gavin Reilly; he needs to find goals again soon before his form gets labelled a slump, IMO.

Plus, we are clearly still capable of taking a pumping, as we found out at your place and EEP already this season.

That said, we're a win away from ending the first quarter at the top of the league and I honestly never believed that would be the case. I still think we're going to finish third; I expect the Arabs to get their act together and win the league, and I think Dunfermline simply score too many goals not to challenge.

12 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

When you consider the 5-0 league cup horsing at firhill at the beginning of the season, then this is a very pleasant surprise to be top of the league towards the end of the first quarter. 

There aren't any outstanding teams in this league so with that in mind we definitely have nothing to fear.

Gary Mac  Kyle Magennis and Harry Davis are quality players at this level so with all 3 set to return we have a very decent squad, and a decent chance of top four, as long as we tighten up at the back and start conceding less goals.

The 5-0 horsing the defeats to Morton and Dunfermline  show that we're kind of where we were last season, good going forward dicey at the back.   

Jack needs to find a way to win games against teams where we have to tuck in play tight ( a bit like Brechin  or Livi) 

57 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

The 5-0 horsing the defeats to Morton and Dunfermline  show that we're kind of where we were last season, good going forward dicey at the back.   

Jack needs to find a way to win games against teams where we have to tuck in play tight ( a bit like Brechin  or Livi

Erm, didn't we win those games? :wacko:

18 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

What's the feeling over this way? You're looking every bit the league winners a lot of folk expected. Can you keep it up?

At the right end of the pitch we look like having enough to mount a right good challenge. 

At the back though? To say we look dodgy is an understatement. Obviously we’ve had no shortage of injury/suspension problems in our defence already, highlighted by out roastings off of Morton and Pars.

The quicker Gary McKenzie returns the more comfortable I’ll be with our title bid.

2 hours ago, Insaintee said:

Jack needs to find a way to win games against teams where we have to tuck in play tight ( a bit like Brechin  or Livi) 

Harry Davis, Gary Mac and Kyle Magennis coming back will give us a huge lift, Davis could potentially be the most important in terms of tightening up the defence.

Kyle Magennis for me is a better all round midfielder than Stevie Mallan. Perhaps not quite the dead ball expert but a massive talent.

These guys could make all the difference in us challenging.

I worry about too much expectation being put on Davis.

He was clearly more than capable of playing at this level, and yes our defence is hardly the most solid just now, but I do worry if he gets off to a slow start the crowd might start to turn. 

It seems so many are pinning on Davis solving all our defensive problems, when (imo) those are created more by Stellios at fullback or the McGinn/McShane partnership not quite gelling.

Edited by Buddist Monk

6 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I worry about too much expectation being put on Davis.

He was clearly more than capable of playing at this level, and yes our defence is hardly the most solid just now, but I do worry if he gets off to a slow start the crowd might start to turn. 

It seems so many are pinning on Davis solving all our defensive problems, when (imo) those are created more by Stellios at fullback or the McGinn/McShane partnership not quite gelling.

Thin k Stelios will be dropping into more of a 'last 25 minutes' type role for a while to be fair.

He was hooked against Dunfermline at half time and had a pretty poor game on Saturday where he was brought off after about an hour. Reckon had it not been for injuries and suspensions he'd have had a wee spell out by now. He's literally our only defender who has been available for every match but now that Irvine, Liam Smith and Eckersley are all available again, I can see Smith and Eckersley being our first choice full-backs.

I reckon both McGinn and McShane will stay in the team...when they trip over each other it's torture but when they're on the same page they compliment each other perfectly. Todd filled in admirably in a more advanced role in his all too brief showing against QotS but Kirkpartick has struggled to find any real traction. Think Magennis is the type of lad who is so talented he can do any role required of him in midfield and so he'll step into the slot that Ross is trying a few new players out in.

On the subject of McGinn, I love the guy to bits but wish he wouldn't do that move quite as often as he does....you know the one, where he stops the ball and cuts back, letting his marker over run and creating a couple of yards for himself. It does work about 90% of the time but when he gets caught, it gives me the cold sweats.

Edited by djchapsticks

22 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Its hard to call Vince Dunfermline looked a class above us in our meeting Morton beat both us. We looked a class above Dundee United yet the beat Dunfermline. Plaayers to come back will be massive for us. Dont see anyone team running away with the title. 

Only one team has impressed me this season - Dunfermline. However we were rank awful against the Pars and the 3 at the back was a disaster that day so difficult to tell how good they were but they made the most of our frailties.