The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Erm, so the Dunfermline posters were correct about Gavin Reilly all along...…………:lol:

Certainly seems to have deteriorated as a player in the last month.

If Stubbsy is able to recruit two better forwards than Reilly on our budget first go I'll be impressed.

19 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Lads, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but that's just being a Patsy to his religious bigotry. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but there has to be a line drawn. If we allow him, how about bringing in Goodwillie. After all, he's a proven goalscorer... etc, etc... do we stop there or maybe ask Graham Rix to be our assistant manager or bring back Craig Thompson from Lithuania?

All these are clearly tongue in cheek. I understand the opinions you have, I just don't think they are justifiable.

I mean *this* in the nicest possible way - we're a football club. He's a footballer. Your mentions of Graham Rix and Craig Thompson are horrendous - I thought you better than that, tongue in cheek or otherwise.

You don't get to decide whose opinions are justifiable. Meant, again, in the *nicest* possible way. :angel

5 minutes ago, btb said:

Erm, so the Dunfermline posters were correct about Gavin Reilly all along...…………:lol:

If Stubbsy is able to recruit two better forwards than Reilly on our budget first go I'll be impressed.

Don't think there are many Saints fans on here with anything but praise for him. You can simultaneously rate him as a very good Championship player and doubt his potential impact in the Premiership, which is about where I stand at the moment. Would have loved him to stay, but we'd still be looking to bring in a better striker to be our number 1 front man, and he would have had the chance to prove himself. It is he who has turned down the chance of a new contract first and foremost remember.

23 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Not accoding to the make a fresh air sports journalist. You never know more importantly who is coming to Saints. 

I'm not really sure what you've written, but if you're assuming there is interest because a journalist has written it, you're giving too much credit to some journalists. If he was on his way to Sunderland, he'd already be there - been free to leave for weeks now, and Jack has been in his post for a similar length of time.

Gavin did brilliantly for us, but he's not a certainty to succeed in the Premiership, and is not of sufficient quality to play for a team looking to stroll to the title in League 1 in England.

23 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Mallan  being linked with  Sunderland.  

That's a link I do think has legs, as Mallan is a gem of a player, and Jack knows how to get the best out of him. Playing him would be a start.

24 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Mallan  being linked with  Sunderland.  

We’ve wanted him for ages. Sunderland and the chance to work with Jack Ross again will kill any chance we had though.

11 minutes ago, Zing. said:

We’ve wanted him for ages. Sunderland and the chance to work with Jack Ross again will kill any chance we had though.

Since Ross arrived at Sunderland they've been supposedly linked with Malian,Morgan,McGennis,J McGinn, S McGinn and Reilly. It seems if you have any sort of Saints connection past or present, you're off to Sunderland. I'm surprised Fitzpatrick and Torfason aren't signing for them !

35 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Sunderland and Hibs both in for Mallan, he’ll go to Sunderland and make some serious money, who can blame him it’s a short career and all that.

The implication in a "short career" seems to be that after you retire from football, with another 30 or so years of working life left, you can just go to the golf course while the rest of us continue grafting.

6 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Since Ross arrived at Sunderland they've been supposedly linked with Malian,Morgan,McGennis,J McGinn, S McGinn and Reilly. It seems if you have any sort of Saints connection past or present, you're off to Sunderland. I'm surprised Fitzpatrick and Torfason aren't signing for them !

Always the same with the media in these situations. Best bet is to ignore any "links" and just take the believe it when you see it approach, because most of it will be made up bullshit.

15 minutes ago, btb said:

What's happened to all the ITK guys - I presume they've not established any sources within the new setup yet. ;)

I WANT A RUMOUR!

I'm hearing there might be a possibility of us signing someone from Everton at some point. 

31 minutes ago, btb said:

What's happened to all the ITK guys - I presume they've not established any sources within the new setup yet. ;)

I WANT A RUMOUR!

Here's my prediction - we'll sign a striker soon...*

*Based on nothing but the fact we've let one go - honest.

Erm, so the Dunfermline posters were correct about Gavin Reilly all along...…………[emoji38]
Pretty sure he had a new deal on the table for a while, why didn't he sign it when he had the chance? He was obviously holding out for a better deal elsewhere.

He's certainly not a bad player but if he signed up we would have 3 strikers with no experience of scoring goals in the top level. For us to stay clear of the bottom 2 spots we need someone who can score 15 goals. Not sure Reilly, Hypolite and Mullen would have scored 15 between them.

Think Reilly has been badly advised here - he’s obviously been told by his agent, or thought himself that he could get a better prem deal or something in England.

Fair play to Stubbs for putting out a message to the rest of the players.

I was a massive fan of Reilly last year, his work rate is immense not to mention his goals. Since Mullen came into the side though, whilst they’re pretty similar players, I’d rather Mullen over Reilly.

Heard today we should be signing a couple of young guys from English lower leagues in the coming days - Jackson has been scouting for Blackburn apparently so must have a decent knowledge of lower leagues / youth leagues down south

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Pretty sure he had a new deal on the table for a while, why didn't he sign it when he had the chance? He was obviously holding out for a better deal elsewhere.

He's certainly not a bad player but if he signed up we would have 3 strikers with no experience of scoring goals in the top level. For us to stay clear of the bottom 2 spots we need someone who can score 15 goals. Not sure Reilly, Hypolite and Mullen would have scored 15 between them.

Reilly was very much only a possible in terms of being able to cut it in the top flight. I'm just surprised although I probably shouldn't be about his reputation falling amongst Saints fans over the last few days (especially on BAWA :unsure2: ) but with the LC barely three weeks away there's a lot of work still to do.