The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

Not sure what you're getting at big fella. Our first five fixtures are -  Dundee, Rangers, Livingston, Hearts, Celtic.

Fairy nuff. I thought you were stating the obvious by saying if you don't pick up points in the first few games you'd be floating around the bottom. 

I wouldn't worry too much about Hearts though. Craig Levein is their manager and they've signed shite. 

13 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Fairy nuff. I thought you were stating the obvious by saying if you don't pick up points in the first few games you'd be floating around the bottom. 

I wouldn't worry too much about Hearts though. Craig Levein is their manager and they've signed shite. 

I mean you are not wrong, if we don't pick up points we will be bottom, just thought you were aiming at something specific and it had gone over my head.

4 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Wasn't Rice credited with most of Yogi's successes?

He seems to be a well respected number two from within the game, but I’ve no idea what the connection is between him and Stubbs. As far as I can see they haven’t worked together before but might have crossed paths while doing coaching badges.

Have not heard anything wrong he has said thus far .  I liked the one he said fans should not be looking at 10th or survival we need to look up the way :thumsup2 . Stubbs has his own make up so to speak John McGinn can not speak highly enough about Stubbs. Stevie said this is a much higher calibre manager than what has been in the past years. Good enough for me. 
Deffo, he has said pretty much the same as what JR said but it doesn't sound as enthusiastic or excited. He looks miserable already [emoji23].

Seen Cummings name mentioned, surely his wages will be too high for us?

Just now, McG said:

Reilly away, I believe the manager didn't want to keep him.

The manager will want his own guys . Reilly did well for us but I think he would have struggled playing that same role in the Premiership. Mullen will probably be a bit player in that role this season , but he puts himself about , is much more physical , and is more suited to the top league !

3 minutes ago, billyg said:

The manager will want his own guys . Reilly did well for us but I think he would have struggled playing that same role in the Premiership. Mullen will probably be a bit player in that role this season , but he puts himself about , is much more physical , and is more suited to the top league !

That’s what I think as well to be honest. I really liked Reilly, but I’m not actually convinced he’d be able to make the step up, whereas Mullen seems to have a bit more about him in terms of physicality and work rate. I think Mullen could do surprisingly well this season to be honest.

5 minutes ago, billyg said:

Yip, I think this is as much Stubbs putting his own mark on the team as it is Gav turning down any offer from Saints. Believe Jack Ross did make him an offer but that was rejected by the player.

Whether an other offer was made and rejected, or withdrawn,  I don't know but my gut feel is that Stubbs just didn't fancy him.

Don't think any of the players can be guaranteed anything, even those under contract and that includes those who have only just signed or re-signed!

Reilly was brilliant for us last season, and did a lot more than score a lot of goals. He put himself about and made opposing defenders' lives a misery with his hustling, niggly fouls etc. The goals dried up in the second half of the season, and I think like most he would've struggled to score a similar amount of goals in the Premiership. All the best to him wherever he goes, and thanks for a massive contribution to our championship winning season.

Now, who has Stubbs got his eye on to take Reilly's place and score our goals...

Said previously that I'd be happy for Reilly to stay but not concerned at him going. He was great in his stint for us but it would be difficult to see us basing out attack around him next season. He could certainly have been an impactful option to have from the bench but I trust that Stubbs has his options in his head already. 

Having old eyes I used to get mixed up with Reilly and Smith at times no a problem next season. Big part of us wining the league wish Gav all the best.  Stubbs must have an idea  who he wants and thinks he can get I would think for centre forward. Have a feeling it might be A,S. given Stubbs has worked with him though I understand he is contracted to a Greek club. 

20 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Having old eyes I used to get mixed up with Reilly and Smith at times no a problem next season. Big part of us wining the league wish Gav all the best.  Stubbs must have an idea  who he wants and thinks he can get I would think for centre forward. Have a feeling it might be A,S. given Stubbs has worked with him though I understand he is contracted to a Greek club. 

Stokes went AWOL from his club in Greece , they're looking to get shot of him , if they haven't already !