The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I fully back Stubbs to look at every option available. However, to bring in a religious bigot who has shown himself to be a destabilising force is probably the worst move he could make.

It's obviously a long way off, as just some random claiming he was at the ground doesn't mean he's about to sign, but if he did I would have serious issues going to games.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Suppose under the circumstances beggars can't be choosers and if he scores the goals to keep us up then it would be risk Worth taking.

No, it's really not, because Stokes wouldn't be the difference between us staying up or not, and he's certainly not the only thing that will determine our season. In cases like this it's beholden upon the new boss to understand the club's ethos. The whole beggars can't be choosers is never a valid argument. We are not beggars here, and we have an awful lot of choice - or at least should have as both Stubbs and Jackson will have "contacts".

I totally take the point you are making, and I don't want to put out any false dichotomies but to me my principles and certain red lines would make supporting a team with Stokes leading the line very difficult to do.

Edited by Buddist Monk

Stokes :lol:

He was absolutely adored at Hibs, and he was still thick enough to get himself sacked from there, moving him closer to Glasgow just seems idiotic. 

He's an "avoid at all costs" player these days. 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Someone on BAWA saying that Anthony Stokes was at the training ground today. 

Clearly still talented as a footballer but he's a fucking halfwit. Suppose under the circumstances beggars can't be choosers and if he scores the goals to keep us up then it would be risk Worth taking. 

Hopefully if it does come to pass it's at best a pay as you play deal and at worst, has several caveats that allow us to terminate if he's being a w**k. 

Stokes wasn't at the training ground at all yesterday.

1 hour ago, McG said:

Stokes wasn't at the training ground at all yesterday.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if he was. I wouldn't expect Stokes to be interested in us.

I think a benchmark needs to be made though, in the sense that people like Stokes are not an acceptable player to bring in. I hope Stubbs realises this, no matter his personal relationship with Stokes.

Here is the first set of fixtures:

04/08/18 - (H) Dundee
11/08/18 - (A) Rangers
25/08/18 - (H) Livingston
01/09/18 - (A) Hearts
15/09/18 - (H) Celtic
22/09/18 - (A) Hamilton
22/09/18 - (H) Hibernian
06/10/18 - (A) Aberdeen
20/10/18 - (H) Kilmarnock
27/10/18 - (A) St Johnstone
31/10/18 - (H) Motherwell

Not dreadful, although we really need to take points from Dundee and/or Livi otherwise we could be sitting at the bottom the first few weeks.

6 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

It' a good game to start with not top six club mid bottom six. Will be interesting to see who both clubs bring in. We are a team who's home form is excellent looking forward to this. 

Having gone up a division and lost our manager, I think it's safe to say all bets are off in terms of our form.

At least, though, our spell in the Championship has given us the chance to get a proper run of wins under our belt at SMP or whatever the f**k it's called this week.

Scary to think that until last season, we had really only picked up sporadic wins there since it opened nearly ten years ago.

Be nice to reacquaint ourselves with the Dees. Is that guy Jack Ross still managing them?

It's the worst possible time to play you. Even if you do turn out to be pish, you'll have decent momentum behind you and a hyped fan base. This can easily make a difference. 

Looking forward to it nonetheless. 

23 hours ago, Hendo said:

I think you've summed him up perfectly. Gives 100% but limited. He hardly played last season and will be another year older as well. Might be OK as back up, but if he is seen as a replacement for Naismith I'd be worried. 

My worries have been put to rest.  Ferguson said County aren't looking at Irvine, and that it's probably his agent geeing up interest.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's the worst possible time to play you. Even if you do turn out to be pish, you'll have decent momentum behind you and a hyped fan base. This can easily make a difference. 

Looking forward to it nonetheless. 

shitting it already cunto

16 hours ago, Fony Titz said:
18 hours ago, NorthBank said:
Not really emoji4.png .  You also getting Liam mixed up with Sean - our ex-left back ? emoji4.png

Is Liam not Seans brother. Used to be on the books of that Govan mob?

Liam Smith is not Sean Kelly's brother.

4 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Not dreadful, although we really need to take points from Dundee and/or Livi otherwise we could be sitting at the bottom the first few weeks.

Mathematical genius IMO.