The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Don't see it that way with the club' s interested plus don' kid yourself on Hibs need extra cash to Bing players in they had quite a few on loan last season. 
PCA for Celtic in January if John stays I suspect.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Daft question, is there a way to update the thread title on mobile? 

I've no access to Web based version at present and the option to update doesn't appear on the moderation options. 

Usually just press edit on the OP and it'll let you change the title 

Don't see it that way with the club' s interested plus don' kid yourself on Hibs need extra cash to Bing players in they had quite a few on loan last season. 
I believe Hibs wouldn't get to keep or spend very much of any transfer fee they receive for John McGinn.

So if you balance that up against the size of Neil Lennon's ego I don't see them cashing in unless the bids are ridiculously good.

Celtic will not make a ridiculous offer. They will do some sort of player swap.

Sunderland? Would he he want to play league one? Maybe. Would Jack Ross want to spend half of his reported £10m budget on one player when he has a whole team to over haul? Maybe, maybe not.

Villa? Maybe who knows? Does Steve Bruce have history of buying scottish players? not that I remember.

We have been waiting for John McGinn to get his 'big move' since he played a semi final with Scott Brown and Victor Wanyama in his back pocket and are still waiting. I'd be delighted for him if he got a big move. I'd be delighted for saints if we managed to land some cash but I don't see it happening sadly.

Hope I'm wrong.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Woke up to some troubling news that County want Gary Irvine. I presume he didn’t have a late career revival with you last season?

One player that seemed to divide supporters opinions. I thought for the most part he was reliable when called upon. He should be ok for the Championship imo. 

34 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

On a side note, how uninspiring has Stubbs sounded in his interviews so far? emoji852.png.

He just talks a bit slowly for my liking. It may be that he's choosing his words carefully, but if I'm doing that, I pause for a second then talk at normal speed :lol:

33 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Woke up to some troubling news that County want Gary Irvine. I presume he didn’t have a late career revival with you last season?

He's an ok squad member and, to some extent, can play on both sides of the pitch, which might be useful as cover. You probably wouldn't want him as first choice if you have title ambitions, though.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

On a side note, how uninspiring has Stubbs sounded in his interviews so far? emoji852.png.

His "I was worried I was going to be left behind so I took a job with a bit of profile", rather than a "St Mirren are an excellent opportunity and I look forward to developing the youth and securing our Premiership status" is a little disappointing, but then perhaps that's just how it's being reported.

My bigger concern is about who he has planned for his assistant and why it should be considered a "leftfield" appointment as he's hinted at.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Liam Kelly Smith (from Hearts on loan with us last year) was absolutely superb keeping him out of the team, so it's a tough one to call. I wouldn't have wanted to keep him in the Premiership but he'd still be useful to have around in the Championship. Whether he is first choice all depends on who he is competing with. He's certainly not Naismith, but he's got bags of experience and isn't shy of a tackle.

I wouldn't personally call it "troubling". It's not an attacking or long term option, but I feel troubling is a little harsh on the guy. Again, the caveat is that he didn't play much last year and that is down to Kelly's Smith's form than Irvine's lack of it.

Edited by Buddist Monk
..because I am an idiot

6 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

His "I was worried I was going to be left behind so I took a job with a bit of profile", rather than a "St Mirren are an excellent opportunity and I look forward to developing the youth and securing our Premiership status" is a little disappointing, but then perhaps that's just how it's being reported.

My bigger concern is about who he has planned for his assistant and why it should be considered a "leftfield" appointment as he's hinted at.

Liam Kelly (from Hearts on loan with us last year) was absolutely superb keeping him out of the team, so it's a tough one to call. I wouldn't have wanted to keep him in the Premiership but he'd still be useful to have around in the Championship. Whether he is first choice all depends on who he is competing with. He's certainly not Naismith, but he's got bags of experience and isn't shy of a tackle.

I wouldn't personally call it "troubling". It's not an attacking or long term option, but I feel troubling is a little harsh on the guy. Again, the caveat is that he didn't play much last year and that is down to Kelly's form than Irvine's lack of it.

My recollection of him at Dundee and even County the first time round was of a rather hotheaded, technically limited hard worker, which is why I said troubling.  Thanks.  Underwhelming, yet again, might be the adjective of choice.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

My recollection of him at Dundee and even County the first time round was of a rather hotheaded, technically limited hard worker, which is why I said troubling.  Thanks.  Underwhelming, yet again, might be the adjective of choice.

I think you've summed him up perfectly. Gives 100% but limited. He hardly played last season and will be another year older as well. Might be OK as back up, but if he is seen as a replacement for Naismith I'd be worried. 

34 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Liam Kelly (from Hearts on loan with us last year) was absolutely superb keeping him out of the team, so it's a tough one to call. I wouldn't have wanted to keep him in the Premiership but he'd still be useful to have around in the Championship. Whether he is first choice all depends on who he is competing with. He's certainly not Naismith, but he's got bags of experience and isn't shy of a tackle.

I wouldn't personally call it "troubling". It's not an attacking or long term option, but I feel troubling is a little harsh on the guy. Again, the caveat is that he didn't play much last year and that is down to Kelly's form than Irvine's lack of it.

Smith, not Kelly.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Rae played him at left back and he was poor. Jack moved him to right back in our relegation battle and he was very good. However young Smith from Hearts kept him out the team last season however he played the last game or two of the season as a farewell and I was quite impressed with him. Think he could do a decent job but he is no Jason.