The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, shull said:

I agree with Silvio. 

It's not the first time he's complained about my posting but the fact he continues to complain yet doesn't put me on ignore tells it's own story.

As for you, I just wish you were a bit more constructive.

23 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Why such a defensive reply? If you post and you get annoyed at people replying, perhaps a public forum is not the place for you.

Ultimately if you don't like my posts, put me on ignore, not doing so and continuing to complain would be daft.

Yep, boring 

11 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

It's not the first time he's complained about my posting but the fact he continues to complain yet doesn't put me on ignore tells it's own story.

It's been a bad morning. You need a cuddle.

10 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Have I? I don't remember and I don't post that often. Clearly you're not bothered though!

Anyway, I'll not bother you again.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Latest odds:

Screenshot_2018-05-28-08-36-46.thumb.png.f22c467137decdc4f5d62550b3d9e99d.png

Odds for Neilson have gone from 4/1 to 16/1, back to 4/1 in 24 hours. 

Which shows the bookies don't have a fucking clue at this level and only react to press releases and probably even forums like this. 

Still maintain Lambert won't get it. 

It's more to do with the punters not having a clue and just reacting to redtop nonsense.    A twenty quid bet here or there can skew the market, as there's no way (without insider information) to calculate next manager destinations.  It's entirely guesswork.    Paul Lambert is clearly nonsense, but as far as speculative lists go, I've seen far worse than that - the list for replacing McIntyre was so utterly dross that Owen Coyle appeared a good option.  I think St Mirren will get a good manager.

52 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It's more to do with the punters not having a clue and just reacting to redtop nonsense.    A twenty quid bet here or there can skew the market, as there's no way (without insider information) to calculate next manager destinations.  It's entirely guesswork.    Paul Lambert is clearly nonsense, but as far as speculative lists go, I've seen far worse than that - the list for replacing McIntyre was so utterly dross that Owen Coyle appeared a good option.  I think St Mirren will get a good manager.

It's ok, there's nobody in the top 5 I would be particularly unhappy with, though I think it's maybe a bit too soon for Goodwin. I'm actually a bit surprised not to see Coyle on there to be honest.

27 minutes ago, GAD said:

It's ok, there's nobody in the top 5 I would be particularly unhappy with, though I think it's maybe a bit too soon for Goodwin. I'm actually a bit surprised not to see Coyle on there to be honest.

He's done.  Finished.  No chance he's getting another gig.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yeah, it certainly looks that way. Some fall from him, he was pretty much nailed on for the Celtic job a few years ago. Just shows how important it is for these managers to move when their stock is high.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

You could just about say the same for Lambert . His last few gigs have been dire and St mirren is exactly the type of job he should be looking at to rebuild his reputation but he'll be thinking he's too good for the scottish premiership which is a load of bollocks.

Edited by Shodwall cat

22 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

You could just about say the same for Lambert . His last few gigs have been dire and St mirren is exactly the type of job he should be looking at to rebuild his reputation but he'll be thinking he's too good for the scottish premiership which is a load of bollocks.

TBH not many managers would go from the English PL to the Scottish Premiership unless it’s to manage the OF, and especially not to a team that just won promotion (no offence meant by that). I can see what you’re saying that Lambert would be better off taking the St. Mirren job, but as you say he probably think he’s too big for that.

To be fair everyone has been shite for villa and Blackburn over few years - can’t remember much about his time at wolves. And he definitely made stoke harder to beat when he came in, so was on a hiding to nothing there. The fact we’re even talking about someone of his experience showing how far we’ve come in last 18 months.

I still don’t think we have a chance jn hell getting him - but would bite your hand off for Someone of his experience.

Clarke hardly had a glittering record as a manager - think people need to remember the gulf between managing in the epl and Scottish prem.

36 minutes ago, geo87 said:

To be fair everyone has been shite for villa and Blackburn over few years - can’t remember much about his time at wolves. And he definitely made stoke harder to beat when he came in, so was on a hiding to nothing there. The fact we’re even talking about someone of his experience showing how far we’ve come in last 18 months.

I still don’t think we have a chance jn hell getting him - but would bite your hand off for Someone of his experience.

Clarke hardly had a glittering record as a manager - think people need to remember the gulf between managing in the epl and Scottish prem.

Do they? It's not playing. Managing is ultimately at least as much about resources and, possibly luck in terms of the quality of squad you inherit, as much as it is about coaching and tactical ability. A bad manager in the EPL will likely be a bad manager anywhere. Not that I'm saying Lambert is a bad manager, sometimes things just don't work out and the likes of Blackburn, Villa and Wolves were all in car crash mode when he was there. Clarke's done a brilliant job at Kilmarnock. It doesn't mean every failed Premiership manager will do the same.

1 hour ago, IainMorton said:

TBH not many managers would go from the English PL to the Scottish Premiership unless it’s to manage the OF, and especially not to a team that just won promotion (no offence meant by that). I can see what you’re saying that Lambert would be better off taking the St. Mirren job, but as you say he probably think he’s too big for that.

I'd certainly doubt he'll get another english premiership job.  In fact he'll be lucky to get a championship job after his failures at Aston Villa and Wolves.  God only knows what Stoke saw in his recent record that made them think he could keep them up. Another failure down south and he'll be lucky to get a scottish premier club after him. Saints may just have dodged a bullet with him anyway as he's been away from the scottish game too long in my view and probably would see any budget at Saints as not enough and an easy excuse if he failed.  Neilson or Hopkin would be far better choices anyway but thats only my opinion,