The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

In fairness, it's no different to the rumour mill/gossip column/whatever articles a lot of websites do on a daily basis. Sky, The Guardian and the BBC instantly come to mind: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44270572

You can argue the rights and wrongs of such articles but everyone is at it. Nowhere near as bad as, for example, The Sun having a transfer rumour and then half an hour later it's on every other supposedly professional news organisation with "As reported by The Sun" a third of the way down. Now that is fucking shocking "journalism".

A jounro defending other journos? Well I'll be... :o

You are right though, but it's a damning indictment of the industry when you can't complain about one set of shitehawks because the sector is absolutely littered by other shitehawks. I'm already on record, ad infinitum (or should that be ad nauseum?), that the fluff pieces with ex players or pundits blindly recommending moves is a figurative cancer.

11 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

A jounro defending other journos? Well I'll be... :o

You are right though, but it's a damning indictment of the industry when you can't complain about one set of shitehawks because the sector is absolutely littered by other shitehawks. I'm already on record, ad infinitum (or should that be ad nauseum?), that the fluff pieces with ex players or pundits blindly recommending moves is a figurative cancer.

Oh trust me, I do plenty of slating other journalists! However, in the list of things that piss me off about modern journalism - particularly online journalism - a rumour mill article is a long, long way down the list. It's the online sports equivalent of the paper review you see on breakfast television.

It's stuff like the Magennis rumour that pisses me off. The Express reported it (let's not debate the validity of that) and soon after everywhere else is reporting it and people who don't realise they're all nicking it from the Express think there must be truth in it. That's what happened with the Jack Ross to Barnsley rumours. People were saying "it's growing legs" when all the various sites were doing was just re-reporting the original story.

The biggest shitehawks are p***ks like HITC which a worryingly large number of people are posting links to. Their articles are a mix of what I've just mentioned and "Rangers fans react to transfer rumour" type shite as they lift a lot of pish from randoms on Twitter.

7 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

He was not "flying" with Hearts. I'm a Hearts fan. I watched Hearts play. We leathered part time teams up and down in the Championship until we won it in February. Then, until he fucked off, we played a brand of football that would make Alex Miller weep. It's not sour ploumbs that he might get another job, it's genuinely concern for fellow fans.

Ignore me if you like though. I guess it's up to neither of us. 

pond.png

Think I'll fire this post off to Gordon Scott, just in case he's considering employing Neilson.

At least I'm not alone in thinking that he would be a poor, and lazy, appointment.

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

Oh trust me, I do plenty of slating other journalists! However, in the list of things that piss me off about modern journalism - particularly online journalism - a rumour mill article is a long, long way down the list. It's the online sports equivalent of the paper review you see on breakfast television.

It's stuff like the Magennis rumour that pisses me off. The Express reported it (let's not debate the validity of that) and soon after everywhere else is reporting it and people who don't realise they're all nicking it from the Express think there must be truth in it. That's what happened with the Jack Ross to Barnsley rumours. People were saying "it's growing legs" when all the various sites were doing was just re-reporting the original story.

The biggest shitehawks are p***ks like HITC which a worryingly large number of people are posting links to. Their articles are a mix of what I've just mentioned and "Rangers fans react to transfer rumour" type shite as they lift a lot of pish from randoms on Twitter.

This was a particular highlight from HITC's Scottish football coverage last season imo.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/12/27/should-rangers-re-sign-tom-walsh-and-avoid-repeat-of-lewis-morga/

Features this glorious line

After all, if St Mirren star Morgan was the best player in the Championship this season, Walsh is not too far behind.

:lol:

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

It's not a dig. You offered up insider knowledge of Jim Duffy being a shoo-in for Firhill the other day as well and it came to heehaw. 

A Thistle fan wrote on the forum Jim Duffy was interviewed a week past on Wednesday. I past that info on. 

1 minute ago, Demented Zebra said:

A Thistle fan wrote on the forum Jim Duffy was interviewed a week past on Wednesday. I past that info on. 

Our fans talk an absolute power of shite, tbf, and are best ignored. Some whopper in the pub was trying to convince people Sammon had been fined £500 for missing his penalty in the playoff game.

Ross has played a blinder and for St Mirren's benefit. 

He thinks Samson is a top goalie. 

He gave him an extended Contract 

Ross , who rates Sammy highly will make him his first signing for Sunderland. 

Meaning, we get a transfer fee, say, around 100k. 

Win Win all round. 

Jack gets his man. 

We get shot of a poor keeper and money in the Bank. 

Result. 

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Lambert now 4/6

That's only because when I was pished last night I typed in £100 instead of £10 on the Willy Hills site.:whistle

Edited by FTOF

42 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

Have any interviews been held? Or is this purely on money put on at the bookies by folk that have more money than sense?

As far as I'm aware no interviews have taken place.

Doesn't mean names haven't been sounded out, though.

Ross has played a blinder and for St Mirren's benefit. 
He thinks Samson is a top goalie. 
He gave him an extended Contract 
Ross , who rates Sammy highly will make him his first signing for Sunderland. 
Meaning, we get a transfer fee, say, around 100k. 
Win Win all round. 
Jack gets his man. 
We get shot of a poor keeper and money in the Bank. 
Result. 

5 years ago, Craig Samson was throwing in goals left, right and centre for (insert underperforming club here). It’s the true miracle story of 2018.

8 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Samson gets a raw deal. Solid keeper who has the club at heart. At least he doesnt put in performaces like last night.

Ignore Shull, his one man persecution campaign against Sammy has been going on for years. Same guy constantly bangs on too about bullying and pack mentality yet never sees his own crass hypocrisy.

I like Samson, been a good servant to St. Mirren and generally performed well. The odd error now and again, but if he didn't have that he wouldn't be playing for us.

Would you swap him for any other keeper in the Championship? I don't think I would.

1 minute ago, Demented Zebra said:

Neilson 16/1. What did I write this morning and you rubbihed it.  

I've explained my reasoning previously but one more time I suppose...

I rubbished it because what you were implying was that Neilson's comments on Sportsound are the reason he won't get the job, which 100% isn't the case.

If he doesn't get the job, I can promise you it's not because he mentioned budgetary restraints, it's because someone is a better candidate in the eyes of the board.

I'll put it on the other foot...Paul Lambert is now the bookies' favourite - do you honestly believe that if Lambert has held any sort of preliminary talks with St. Mirren whatsoever, that budgetary requirements haven't come up in the discussion?! Do you think that this discussion would make those talking to him in an official capacity or otherwise, baulk at the prospect of hiring him?

You can claim the drifting odds as justification for your rationale and a wee victory all you like if it makes you all warm and happy, though. You can have it. 

5 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I like Samson, been a good servant to St. Mirren and generally performed well. The odd error now and again, but if he didn't have that he wouldn't be playing for us.

Would you swap him for any other keeper in the Championship? I don't think I would.

I'd swap him for pretty much any keeper in the top flight though. That's an area you desperately need to strengthen. He's proven time and time again over the years he's not top flight quality and if he is the best there is in the Championship, then the standard of goalkeeper in that league has regressed quite a bit IMO.