The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Folk get too caught up in the style a manager employs. The main style Hopkin seems to have is winning games and I doubt any Livingston fans are concerned with the manner in which they go about it.
With the budget he had would David Hopkin have led Livi to second place and promotion if he was trying to make £300 p/w players pass it out from the back?
I'd say being pragmatic is a pretty good quality for a manager. Whether he's right for St Mirren is another question altogether. A new squad and no top division experience would make him a risk. I think the shouts on Robbie Neilson seem sensible.

A sensible take on things. I reckon fans only really get snooty about “style” when results are poor. Few would question the style of a side winning 1-0 every week. Winning really is all that matters and style is all relative at our level.

Having said that, I don’t think Hopkin will get it but that’s just a gut feel.

Just now, Div said:

A sensible take on things. I reckon fans only really get snooty about “style” when results are poor. Few would question the style of a side winning 1-0 every week. Winning really is all that matters and style is all relative at our level.

Having said that, I don’t think Hopkin will get it but that’s just a gut feel.

Style means a lot to me. We played some fantastic football this season that will stay in my memory for a long time - Cammy Smith at Dunfermline being an example. Shitfests under Gus I have no recollection of and the hoof ball from Rae was enough for me to take up an Ikea catalogue on a Saturday.

I was critical of Livi's style of football at one point as it reminded me of both Gus and Rae however I changed my mind as I recognised that good football on the deck was attainable by Livi and that Hopkin was using the few resources that he had available to their best possible effect. He got the best of of players like Jack does so with a far bigger budget and setup I can see him being a good choice.

30 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Style means a lot to me. We played some fantastic football this season that will stay in my memory for a long time - Cammy Smith at Dunfermline being an example. Shitfests under Gus I have no recollection of and the hoof ball from Rae was enough for me to take up an Ikea catalogue on a Saturday.

I was critical of Livi's style of football at one point as it reminded me of both Gus and Rae however I changed my mind as I recognised that good football on the deck was attainable by Livi and that Hopkin was using the few resources that he had available to their best possible effect. He got the best of of players like Jack does so with a far bigger budget and setup I can see him being a good choice.

It's always nicer to win with a bit of style and we were good to watch under Jack, no doubt about it.

The Premiership is a different ball game though. We are coming up against many teams who will most likely have technically better players than us. If we try and play an expansive attacking game against them they will tear us a new one, as we saw glimpses of at Pittodrie in the cup.

Whilst we don't want a return to the dogmatic days of Gus, equally there has to be a bit of realism that the challenges we will face will be very different from last season!

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Folk get too caught up in the style a manager employs. The main style Hopkin seems to have is winning games and I doubt any Livingston fans are concerned with the manner in which they go about it.

With the budget he had would David Hopkin have led Livi to second place and promotion if he was trying to make £300 p/w players pass it out from the back?

I'd say being pragmatic is a pretty good quality for a manager. Whether he's right for St Mirren is another question altogether. A new squad and no top division experience would make him a risk. I think the shouts on Robbie Neilson seem sensible.

Spot on, that's exactly what I was coming on here to say. I would be very happy with Hopkin.

Departure of Jack & James will be confirmed today, followed up with the confirmation of the signing of Paul McGinn.

Feel a bit sorry for him tbh!

12 minutes ago, Div said:

Departure of Jack & James will be confirmed today, followed up with the confirmation of the signing of Paul McGinn.

It's nice that Paul got another club, tbf :angel

Just now, jagfox99 said:

It's nice that Paul got another club, tbf :angel

Thought he looked far from the Jags worst player in the Play Off Final, but concede that two games does not a season make.

Decent age, plenty of top flight experience, not exactly one to set the heather on fire but still a decent player, no?

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Thought he looked far from the Jags worst player in the Play Off Final, but concede that two games does not a season make.

Decent age, plenty of top flight experience, not exactly one to set the heather on fire but still a decent player, no?

Yeah, pretty consistent defensively not the best going forward from what we saw at Firhill.

30 minutes ago, Div said:

Any news on the one that was supposed to sign yesterday?

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d take Hopkin or Neilsen before Caldwell tbh. He’s probably looking for silly money that you only get down the road. 

Is Neilson considered obtainable? I would have thought that he might be targetting a top 6 job as his stock here was fairly high. He'd be a great appointment you would think.

10 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

Any news on the one that was supposed to sign yesterday?

No mate, I've no idea who that was.

Assume it's on ice because of what's happened, either from the player or the clubs perspective.

McGinn slightly different as he had already signed a PCA before all this happened.

6 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Is Neilson considered obtainable? I would have thought that he might be targetting a top 6 job as his stock here was fairly high. He'd be a great appointment you would think.

Interesting seeing Stewart Gilmour commenting on Neilson. Said he's spoken to some people at Hearts and they give all the credit for what Neilson achieved to Levein.

Not saying that is right, but that's his take on it.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

Interesting seeing Stewart Gilmour commenting on Neilson. Said he's spoken to some people at Hearts and they give all the credit for what Neilson achieved to Levein.

Is that Levein giving all the credit for Neilson's work at Hearts to Levein?  He seems to be good at taking credit for anything good that happens at Hearts while shifting blame for the bad.  

All that to say that I rate Neilson quite highly and I think he would be an excellent manager for you guys, regardless of what Craig Levein says!

37 minutes ago, Div said:

He was dire across the course of the season. In an attacking sense, he offered nothing like the threat that we've been used to with the likes of O'Donnell, Dumbuya and Christie. Defensively, he is an extremely poor defender of the back post - many times over the season, a good few in the Livi first leg in fact, he was blindsided when a cross came in from the left.  To give him his due, I thought he finished the season well in comparison to the rest of it but from St Mirren's point of view, I'd have been hoping for a better recruit.

Edited by Armand 2

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

Is that Levein giving all the credit for Neilson's work at Hearts to Levein?  He seems to be good at taking credit for anything good that happens at Hearts while shifting blame for the bad.  

All that to say that I rate Neilson quite highly and I think he would be an excellent manager for you guys, regardless of what Craig Levein says!

Dunno mate. I'd have thought Neilson would have been an obvious candidate, and since he's the bookies favourite plenty seem to agree.

Fits the bill in terms of age and some experience of the top flight. I think we'll continue with a manager on the younger side.

4 minutes ago, Div said:

Dunno mate. I'd have thought Neilson would have been an obvious candidate, and since he's the bookies favourite plenty seem to agree.

Fits the bill in terms of age and some experience of the top flight. I think we'll continue with a manager on the younger side.

And Hearts played good, attractive football under him so I hope you guys do bring him in.  Always like to see good young managers in the game.

On 29/05/2017 at 22:33, Enigma said:

Jack Ross would be silly to turn down Dundee. Even if he did get you up next season Dundee have more resources and are a bigger club in pretty much every respect, it's a good move for him, expectations will be low and budget will be verging on top 6 in that league I'd imagine. Good news for you is there are a wealth of good unemployed managers looking for jobs, John Hughes would be a good shout...

Brutal post.

34 minutes ago, Div said:

Presumably Levein takes all of the blame for Cathro then? Mind you Neilson didn't have a great spell at MK

It's always nicer to win with a bit of style and we were good to watch under Jack, no doubt about it.
The Premiership is a different ball game though. We are coming up against many teams who will most likely have technically better players than us. If we try and play an expansive attacking game against them they will tear us a new one, as we saw glimpses of at Pittodrie in the cup.
Whilst we don't want a return to the dogmatic days of Gus, equally there has to be a bit of realism that the challenges we will face will be very different from last season!

I am not naive enough to think the players and style of the Championship will work in the Premiership - even Jack said we’d have to change. But stlye does matter and playing 10 men behind the ball hoping for a draw does not appeal to me. I’d rather watch us scoosh the Championship. Danny’s team of Thommo, Teale, McGowan, Hasselbank would do me anot not Gus’s team of 10 defenders.