The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

This is something that is constantly levelled at Livi and their management team.

What's the story behind it?

No idea but watched bits of the 1 st game and most of the 2nd and Martindale looked to be the man running things , could be Hopkins sets out game plans etc and feels he gets more info from just watching and leaving Martindale to keep things flowing.

I hope this is the case, because all the obvious candidates seem flawed. I'm not saying we want (or can aspire to) a flawless manager, but there must be someone out there with similar qualities to Ross.
Interesting from [mention=45470]RandomGuy.[/mention] about Neilson. I'd not realised Hearts fans didn't like him. Were they legit complaints, or was it akin to spending 32 years blaming another team because you failed to draw at Dundee 32 years ago?
Hearts fans chased Isma tells you all you need to know.

Right enough I remember some saints fans having a go at him too.

No idea but watched bits of the 1 st game and most of the 2nd and Martindale looked to be the man running things , could be Hopkins sets out game plans etc and feels he gets more info from just watching and leaving Martindale to keep things flowing.
I'm sure it I've seen Livi fans on here saying Martindale basically runs the whole club.

Maybe hopkins is his muscle in the changing room?

Let's not assume he's away just yet....

It's not a straight swap between St Mirren and Ipswich. You have to look outside the prism of football as family comes into it too.

Jack's wife Heather is a teacher and, having spent a bit of time with her through work a few years ago, she's his mirror in a lot of ways. She works in a Primary school and will no doubt have her own ambitions. Is his job to take precedence over hers? 

Yes, money comes into it but if you're in a school you like working in where you're respected then it's a big thing to give up. She'd be back to square one, looking for a job, building up her reputation from scratch in a country with a totally different education system. Not to mention uprooting kids from primary school and moving them away from their grandparents and friends.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Any prospect of Fowler getting it?

Can't see it , I think they come a package. As it stands, there is no available vacancy at present for management at our club.

Clutching at straws, but also don’t think this if foregone conclusion.
Few other good Ross-type candidates being interviewed, reading Shrewsbury manager is one of them, although not sure how that’s sitting with them in the middle of their playoffs. Scott Parker also been mentioned although not sure what (if any) coaching experience he has

18 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

This.

While I am less certain that he won't go this time, I feel a lot of our support are accepting this as a "done deal". It's not, and random ex players and pundits coming out with their ever tiresome rent-a-quote doesn't help that. Lee Mair claiming Ross is destined for England, is a perfect example. You put in a decent shift in the stripes Mair, now is the time to shut the f**k up with your completely unqualified opinion.

4 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

It's not a straight swap between St Mirren and Ipswich. You have to look outside the prism of football as family comes into it too.

Jack's wife Heather is a teacher and, having spent a bit of time with her through work a few years ago, she's his mirror in a lot of ways. She works in a Primary school and will no doubt have her own ambitions. Is his job to take precedence over hers? 

Yes, money comes into it but if you're in a school you like working in where you're respected then it's a big thing to give up. She'd be back to square one, looking for a job, building up her reputation from scratch in a country with a totally different education system. Not to mention uprooting kids from primary school and moving them away from their grandparents and friends.

Worth noting his Ipswich wage could very well be more than their current combined wage. 

Stevie May more than quadrupled his wage when he left us, and got a signing on fee near £100k.

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth noting his Ipswich wage could very well be more than their current combined wage. 

Stevie May more than quadrupled his wage when he left us, and got a signing on fee near £100k.

I'd imagine it'd be considerably more. I wouldn't be surprised if English Championship clubs were paying half a million a year to their managers.

58 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mrs Ross, if unpromoted, will be at the top of the classroom teacher's pay scale which is £36,840. Yes, his pay rise would supersede the immediate loss of that but they're in the top few % of earners as it is. How much cash and the ambition of one half of a relationship is enough to make you uproot your family?

Edited by Buttocks Brown

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'd imagine it'd be considerably more. I wouldn't be surprised if English Championship clubs were paying half a million a year to their managers.

Definitely. Alex Neil is seemingly earning over half a million a year. 

2 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Mrs Ross, if unpromoted, will be at the top of the classroom teacher's pay scale which is £36,840. Yes, his pay rise would supersede the immediate loss of that but they're in the top few % of earners as it is. How much cash and the ambition of one half of a relationship is enough to make you uproot your family?

You're deluding yourself. 

He could be offered a four year deal worth around £2m with a signing on bonus worth hundreds of thousands. 

I don't know anything about him or his family to know their situation, but I'd be surprised if they turned it down. Knowing women, I doubt he'd even be having interviews if they hadn't agreed he could move down there. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I doubt he'd even be having interviews if they hadn't agreed he could move down there. 

Why not? That's quite possibly what happened with Barnsley 2 months ago. Had a chat with them then said he didn't want to move.  Seemingly he was never going to take the job.