The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 hours ago, DXBBud said:

Also, Jack has 2 years to go on his contract so buying him out of that plus compensation from any potential suitor will cost them, no matter how much that is by comparison to the numbers St Mirren is used to dealing with. If Ipswich don't have it they can't spend it.

Ipswich recieve £7.5m for playing in the Championship, I doubt a St Mirren managers compensation will even cause a moments hesitation. 

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If it's to be, I hope it's concluded relatively quickly and we approach Robbie Neilson as JR's replacement.

He would be my choice of those available. But I can’t help admire the job Hopkin has done at Livi.

Would obviously be very disappointed if Jack leaves but could hardly blame him taking a job like that. He has a family to take care of & the money/opportunity would be too good to refuse, imo.

He’s a very talented young manager & it’s inevitable he will move on to bigger & better things eventually. Fingers crossed we get another season from him.

Good luck to him, he deserves the interest and I wouldn't begrudge him any move to a bigger club.

I'm not convinced this is the move for him right enough, he has a young family which isn't easy to move that distance. As someone said before if the likes of the Hibs job became available I'd be more worried.

Jack Ross is right to leave now if he gets the chance, he's on the crest of a successful wave. Look what happened to Jim McIntyre, won a Cup with Ross County, decided to stay with them and ends up getting sacked and not been in a job since. Always leave when you're winning.

Jack Ross was in London for a metting with officils from Ipswich nothing agreed accoding to Twitter. Does not mean it's over as Ipswich are interviewing others.  It's oh so tiring it seems month to month this goes on and on. If Jack does not get the job it's time for him to stand up and say I will give St Mirren one more season at least it must also be unsettling to our players also. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

I wouldn’t blame Jack if he left but this is the third club he has spoken to..............FFS! 

I get it, he is only our manager until something better comes up but this is getting daft now, how the hell do we sign players when they don’t know if the manager is going to bugger off?

Piss or get off the pot Jack! The chairman has given you a pay rise, we are in the Premier League.........you either want to be here or you don’t.

Jack has obviously got comfortable with going to the championship. He probably sees that as a logical step otherwise why would he speak to two clubs now? 

He wouldn't be speaking to them unless he was comfortable moving his family as well.

I said to my mates last season that the most important transfer this summer is keeping Jack as I couldn't see him staying. His stock is too high just now.

If he goes, he goes with my best wishes and no ill will at all. I just hope it happens soon to allow us to replace quickly. 

Robbie Neilson will do me fine.

By the end of the summer Jack will have talked to half a dozen teams at this rate.  I think its fair to say he will not be here by pre-season. Time to cast the net far and get a decent replacement. Names like McCall etc need not apply. 

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Names like McCall etc need not apply. 

Yep. Ipswich fans seem a sensible bunch and are excited by the prospect of not just getting one of the manager revolving door managers that somehow still get jobs at that level in England.

We absolutely must apply the same logic to our approach and I trust GLS will do that. Neilson also would suit me fine; I love the idea of Jim but it's just too soon and he's not done enough yet. I'd like to see a team at Championship level give him a shot either next season or in a year or so (not Morton) to see how he gets on at that level. Hey, that could be us if we come straight back down :lol:

10 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Jack Ross was in London for a metting with officils from Ipswich nothing agreed accoding to Twitter. Does not mean it's over as Ipswich are interviewing others.  It's oh so tiring it seems month to month this goes on and on. If Jack does not get the job it's time for him to stand up and say I will give St Mirren one more season at least it must also be unsettling to our players also. 

Yeah i'm in agreement with you are we just going allow him to go speak to everyone who asks.  understand he'll have ambitions above St Mirren and Ipswich will be a good attraction if he gets offered the job.  But will we be in limbo all summer long if this one doesnt happen

Jim Goodwin will make a fine manager btw. As much as we shat it against them, his team were a well organised, well drilled, fit, cohesive unit. Comes across well too. Have been impressed with them all season actually.

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Jim Goodwin will make a fine manager btw. As much as we shat it against them, his team were a well organised, well drilled, fit, cohesive unit. Comes across well too. Have been impressed with them all season actually.

He's a diamond of a guy. Would love him back in some capacity at some point. A Saints legend.