The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

None of that addresses the fact he is lightweight, he was bullied off the ball by some average championship players purely because of their stature and that won't improve when he moves up a league regardless with which team he ends up with. He is a talent though, so don't think my comments are in any way a negative to the lad, just an acceptance of where the modern game is at just now.

We all have our opinions. Never seen Lewis bullied in any game so far. He has had poor games yes but never bullied in my view. 

Just now, NorthBank said:

We all have our opinions. Never seen Lewis bullied in any game so far. He has had poor games yes but never bullied in my view. 

I presume you watch other divisions than just the championship, in which case I believe you already know the situation but don't want to say anything negative about Morgan. I get it, he is a talent, but there is simply no way you can argue he won't be at a huge disadvantage at a higher level unless he bulks up.

I wish the best for him, both as a player who has provided me with some great entertainment and for the possibility of what he may offer the Scottish international squad, but that doesn't stop me from seeing the realities of modern football.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I presume you watch other divisions than just the championship, in which case I believe you already know the situation but don't want to say anything negative about Morgan. I get it, he is a talent, but there is simply no way you can argue he won't be at a huge disadvantage at a higher level unless he bulks up.

I wish the best for him, both as a player who has provided me with some great entertainment and for the possibility of what he may offer the Scottish international squad, but that doesn't stop me from seeing the realities of modern football.

You seem pretty negative. Morgan would be fine in the premiership.

10 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

You seem pretty negative. Morgan would be fine in the premiership.

If you are taking negative from this then you are picking it up wrongly. It's being realistic. I'd understand why you might have missed it but the cup game between us and Aberdeen demonstrated the problem, not just Morgan but the team as it is (was), fairly well. Now I am not saying it was our lack of physicality that cost us the game, that would be due to the surplus of Stellios's on the park but it was evident where the gap was.

I would wager that pound for pound the Killie squad is physically larger than the St Mirren one, and that your least physical is still more physical than Morgan.

20 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He also needs to remember that McGinn has already improved his game under Ross. He came to us in 2013 when Ross was here, won our YPOTY and got into the Championship Team of the Year in 2014, leading to a move to the Premiership.  His delivery and final ball for us was absolutely tremendous, it would be a shame if that side of his game is no longer there, but I'd be willing to bet a decent amount that he'll do a smashing job for you guys.

If he is a direct replacement for the loanee Smith then I doubt he'd be a match as Smith has been superb in the position. I guess he's not had a good time at Thistle, but you are right, he put in a very decent shift at Dumbarton and at Dundee.

I'm happy to take the "well if he was good enough he wouldn't be getting released by Thistle" argument, but on the flip side I don't take the "he's just shit" argument as that is demonstrably false.

Lewis Morgan has scored 18 goals this season, he’s a winger who has terrorised defenders at this level. He’s gone to Celtic where he will become an even better player. You don’t need to bulk up much if you have the ability that he has.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Lewis Morgan has scored 18 goals this season, he’s a winger who has terrorised defenders at this level. He’s gone to Celtic where he will become an even better player. You don’t need to bulk up much if you have the ability that he has.

Listen, I am not dissing Morgan in any way, but I think anyone who has ideas that he'll slot into the Celtic 1st team and hit the ground running are being a little optimistic. Just take a look at Ryan Christie, a very similar situation where he has failed to make the grade with Celtic (at least so far) despite being a supremely talented player (in Scottish terms) who can play roughly the same position as Morgan. It's notable that Christie too, had to bulk up.

Ross has alluded to it, and I've been saying it all season, the one thing this St Mirren side lack, it's a bit of physicality. Morgan is indicative of that, but just accepting that doesn't temper his positive qualities  as a player.

The appraisal that Morgan is in any way weak or gets bullied is frankly hilarious. 

I was lucky to manage to make about 28 of our 36 league games this season and I can honestly say I never once saw him bullied. Snuffed out because he was doubled up on on a few occasions but never did I ever think he was lightweight or someone had a significant physical advantage on him. Because they didn't. 

45 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Ross has alluded to it, and I've been saying it all season, the one thing this St Mirren side lack, it's a bit of physicality. Morgan is indicative of that, but just accepting that doesn't temper his positive qualities  as a player.

I think the conclusion you need to draw there is that we lacked physicality in other areas of the team - yes, Morgan is slight, but you can afford to carry a slight player who brings what he does to the team. What was needed was more physicality around him, to soften defences up, to be more imposing in the middle of the park, etc.

Last season, if players went through Morgan, they knew there'd be no comeuppance. Jim Goodwin the player would never have stood for it.

I keep banging on about Curtis Main at Motherwell, but in my mind he's precisely the sort of striker we need to be looking at bringing in. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The appraisal that Morgan is in any way weak or gets bullied is frankly hilarious.

And I find people's inability to see the blinding obvious as "frankly hilarious". You are a decent poster and done so over the years, you know what it's like in the premiership and I'm surprised you don't see the need for him to bulk up in order to make an impact.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

And I find people's inability to see the blinding obvious as "frankly hilarious". You are a decent poster and done so over the years, you know what it's like in the premiership and I'm surprised you don't see the need for him to bulk up in order to make an impact.

Why does he need to bulk up? Name a match where he was bullied last season. 

Being booted and getting up and getting on with it isn't being bullied. Bullied is when you get kicked about and decide you no longer want the ball or to take a man on for fear of being hit again.

Marc Corcoran was mercilessly bullied. Paul McMullan was bullied. 

Morgan is on the receiving end of a bit of physical stick at times. Several very good players at higher levels suffer this though and play through it. He certainly tries to stay on his feet as much as possible and doesn't hide. His abundance of talent, far outweighs his need to put on beef to take more of a physical hiding. 

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Why does he need to bulk up? Name a match where he was bullied last season.

Because I fear he will struggle to show skills in the premiership if he is hustled off the ball. I am talking of his future development. This whole chain of comments came from someone objecting to me describing Morgan as an excellent championship player who will need to improve to match the heights he set this season. I see nothing controversial in that statement.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Being booted and getting up and getting on with it isn't being bullied. Bullied is when you get kicked about and decide you no longer want the ball or to take a man on for fear of being hit again.

My bullied comment was meant in the context of the team, and we've seen that with teams like Pars and Livi who did a number on us. Ross has said this himself, so if people are disagreeing with me on that (and they are fully entitled to) they are also disagreeing with Ross too.

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I take on board that Morgan needs to hit the gym but given the improvement in physique of both Tierney and Forest over the last 18-24 months I'm sure he will.

Lewis Morgan’s chances of making it in the Premiership have very, very little to do with his strength, physique, size, height, or six pack. His chances of making it have almost everything to do with him even being given much of a sniff, due to being at a club where even a goalscorer like Leigh Griffiths rides the pine. Morgan is a Scottish kid signed from a Scottish diddy club. He might be given a sniff in a cup competition, should Celtic draw a diddy team that’s even diddier than St Mirren, but otherwise? Unless Sinclair, McGregor, Forrest, Roberts, or prior to injury, Hayes, all get hit by buses or sold, I sadly see Morgan eventually moving away, to ‘get his career back on track’.

Even if Celtic sold Sinclair, McGregor, Forrest, Roberts and Hayes tomorrow, they’d sign at least four bigger name players than Lewis Morgan to instantly replace them. From England, or Johnny Foreigner Land. Certainly not from a Scottish diddy. Pains me to say it, but he’s got the talent to make it, I just think he’s at a club where he’s got about four or five guys way, way ahead of him in the pecking order.

A move to Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Cardiff or the like beckons. IMHO.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Even if Celtic sold Sinclair, McGregor, Forrest, Roberts and Hayes tomorrow, they’d sign at least four bigger name players than Lewis Morgan to instantly replace them. From England, or Johnny Foreigner Land. Certainly not from a Scottish diddy. Pains me to say it, but he’s got the talent to make it, I just think he’s at a club where he’s got about four or five guys way, way ahead of him in the pecking order.

A move to Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Cardiff or the like beckons. IMHO.

I would say this is a fair shout. I'd love him to come back to us on loan again, but I can't see the overall benefit of that other than to St Mirren. Possible shift to a bigger premiership side? Just as unlikely imo, which leaves the English market. You'd assume purely from Mallan and McAllister that the middle of the Championship to the middle of League One is where he'll end up. One thing to note though is that while I've avoided discussing physicality so far, anyone who keeps even a general eye on the lower leagues in England will know they are stuffed full of large players.

On 01/05/2018 at 08:26, Buddist Monk said:

Just sounds like you have a stiffy for the lad. What did he do? Once take your parking space?

Craig Samson signs a new 2 year deal. Sammy has been outstanding this season and thoroughly deserves his new deal.

We get treated like crap when we go to the OF grounds yet the club rolls out the red carpet for the bigot pound. 
Not happy
They are hardly rolling out the red carpet.

They are keeping the west and main stands 100% St Mirren fans.