The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Looks like Eckersley could be back on Sat. Would be a big boost.

We played well today. Attitude was night and day compared to the previous two games. Aye it's only Airdrie, but the application was far better.

Pleased for Reilly (but he should have had a hat trick)

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I take it that everything's ok again buddies? :thumsup2

Not at all. Still a fair bit of work to be done. Funnily enough we still need that killer instinct in an around the box. Yes we took five off Airdrie but the reality is that on another day it could have been more than 10 and we won't create nearly as many chances at Championship level as we did today so we need to be clinical. 

That being said, the doom and gloom merchants are wide of the mark. After Davis comes in we'll perhaps be a centre forward and one other away from in decent enough nick. Not title contenders by any means but hopefully in or around the promotion playoffs. 

Today showed what I like about Ross, he's not afraid to make changes when he's got something wrong.

He's now realised that he can't play Reilly up by himself, neither can he play Sutton. He changed it to a 4-4-2 today and we looked comfortable and could have scored more. If we have the ball in the oppositions half, then we can't concede.

I'd be happy going into the season with a 4-4-2, with Stewart replacing a tiring Sutton. We'd only then realistically need a right back, right winger and a centre half to be pretty comfortable with the squad depth.

Airdrie didn't offer much, I felt sorry for their right back as Morgan was just ripping him apart.

Need to be quicker on the ball next week but as we won't get the same respect given to us today.

As much as I agree that Reilly looks far better with a strike partner I would not be happy for that person to be Sutton. Hopefully we will sign someone with height, strength, workrate and energy that can play upfront with Reilly. Stewart is far from the finished article but even he gave Reilly decent support when he came on.

Let's get this straight ,probably the worst Airdrie team I've ever seen.

Having said that ,there was a lot to be happy about ,Reilly and Smith never game defenders a minutes peace.

Stelios was great and McGinn and McShane rule the roost in midfield.

Gary Mack was lucky not to be sent off ,he kept barking on at the officials after being booked

Morgan is a special talent and showed it all today,leaving defenders trailing in his wake. 

Nice to see guys getting a chance like ,Kirkpatrick had a shot I think on the volley,superbly taken.

Bucky and Stewart did themselves no harm either.

Sammy was alert and made a few cracking saves,Irvine was much better in his favoured position.

Apart from a couple of misplaced passes was solid 

I feel a lot better about next Saturday now,it will be hard but not impossible 

no doubt the usual greeting faces will be on telling me I'm talking shite

Is there an actual link or is it just forum talk?

Purely forum talk. I mention on the b&w army that I would like us to try & get Brian Graham in on loan. Hibs have signed a couple of strikers and still hoping to bring Stokes in. Can't see a place from Graham but would be a great addition to our squad, exactly the type of player that we're missing.

Purely forum talk. I mention on the b&w army that I would like us to try & get Brian Graham in on loan. Hibs have signed a couple of strikers and still hoping to bring Stokes in. Can't see a place from Graham but would be a great addition to our squad, exactly the type of player that we're missing.

That will be where he seen it then [emoji23]. Unless you are mystic meg.

21 hours ago, Young gun said:

probably the worst Airdrie team I've ever seen.

You may well be right but I also saw a reasonably ok Airdrie side lose 5 nil at least 20 years ago at Love street and by my reckoning that was probably the last time we played each other. How times have changed in Scottish football since we went to four divisions. I have seen worse Airdrie teams in the last ten years than the admittedly young inexperienced side yesterday so optimism has not quite vanished. Good luck with your season.

You may well be right but I also saw a reasonably ok Airdrie side lose 5 nil at least 20 years ago at Love street and by my reckoning that was probably the last time we played each other. How times have changed in Scottish football since we went to four divisions. I have seen worse Airdrie teams in the last ten years than the admittedly young inexperienced side yesterday so optimism has not quite vanished. Good luck with your season.

That was the season we won the First Division in 99/00. We put 6 past Raith on their own patch and 8 past Clydebank at home too.

We played each other in a Scottish Cup tie in about 2004 i think. We won 2-0 if memory serves, Barry Lavety in his 3rd spell got one of the goals.