The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Might as well write the season off now going by some of the morons posting elsewhere after last night :lol:

The expectations have been way too high after our good run towards the end of last season. Think some folk genuinely expected us to be winning the league this year. 

8 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I forgot about Hilson.

I wonder if JR will be tempted to play 3 centre backs? 3-5-2 going into a 3-4-3 with Smith supporting the front 2?

Hilson will be a good player for us and JR rates him highly.

9 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

The expectations have been way too high after our good run towards the end of last season. Think some folk genuinely expected us to be winning the league this year. 

It's not just that, it's the fact they're saying it after two games - one of which we won - and we haven't kicked a ball in the league yet!

I said last season I wouldn't mind being knocked out of the league cup if we got off to a solid start in the league. Easy to say that now when we're struggling in the group, but if we exit the cup and then go on to win two of our first three or four games I'd be more than happy with that. It's five years since we won a league game before the end of August!

On 7/16/2017 at 23:29, Coventry Saint said:

I was wondering if it makes a 3-5-2 an option. 

Tbh I can't really see it, as I'm not sure where Morgan would fit into that, but it's nice to have options. 

11 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I forgot about Hilson.

I wonder if JR will be tempted to play 3 centre backs? 3-5-2 going into a 3-4-3 with Smith supporting the front 2?

;)

59 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I expect us to challenge for the title this year. We didn't just have a wee purple patch, we were the best team in the league for over a third of the season, scoring more goals than anyone else and all while under huge pressure. The squad isn't complete yet but once Davis is in I expect another striker in, possibly two, one of whom will be from the top level. People also forgetting we have Magennis and Eckersley injured - two top players from our great excape last season.

Add Magennis, Eckersley, Davis and another good striker into the squad and we'll see an improvement in our fortunes. Be shocked if we're not in the top 4 this season, and if we're in that area we should be capable of challenging to win the league.

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I expect us to challenge for the title this year. We didn't just have a wee purple patch, we were the best team in the league for over a third of the season, scoring more goals than anyone else and all while under huge pressure. The squad isn't complete yet but once Davis is in I expect another striker in, possibly two, one of whom will be from the top level. People also forgetting we have Magennis and Eckersley injured - two top players from our great excape last season.

Add Magennis, Eckersley, Davis and another good striker into the squad and we'll see an improvement in our fortunes. Be shocked if we're not in the top 4 this season, and if we're in that area we should be capable of challenging to win the league.

I'm inclined to agree overall. Would you be concerned about the GK situation at all? Or do you think that Samson will be good enough with GMcK and Davis in front of him?

I'm still not convinced by the 4-4-2 (especially in last night's incarnation). I doubt we'll be playing that away from home, surely.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Agree with the Buchanan/Baird point. Tough to judge Buchanan on little game time but I think Baird looks stronger, faster, and better in the air.

What struck me tonight was how easily Livingston out muscled us in every position. Their players looked much stronger and really bullied us all over the park.

Sutton when he came on made a (albeit slight) difference by winning some headers, and O'Keefe and Kirkpatrick did well by being direct.

Baird should be starting. Ended last season in a good partnership with Gary Mack, Buchanan should wait for his chance. Agree that Livvy bullied us at times - Buchanan for the goal a perfect example (and the chance right after). Need to be able to deal with teams being physical or they'll have the key to nullifying us.

Thought O'Keefe was a delight when he came on. A real gem I think, no fear in taking players on and a bit of flair as well. Kirkpatrick also looked eager to impress - hadn't impressed me in preseason so far but looked more of a threat from the bench,

Onward to Thistle and Jack has some decisions to make re Buchanan/Stewart imo.

17 minutes ago, Soctty said:

We've lost our 2 main goalscorers in Loy and Mallan and Mallan was top in assists. It seems neither has been replaced at present. Until they are replaced we aren't anywhere near that side. 

Edited by flyingscot

I'd do this on Saturday unless we sign an amazing match-ready striker before then.

-----------Samson

Irvine-Baird-McK-Stelios

----McGinn-McShane

O'Keefe - Smith - Morgan

----------Reilly (maybe even Sutton)

I wonder if O'Keefe is why we've not bothered signing a wide player so far.

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm inclined to agree overall. Would you be concerned about the GK situation at all? Or do you think that Samson will be good enough with GMcK and Davis in front of him?

Samson is fine at this level. The nonsense online about him is ridiculous- fans blaming him at every opportunity. He did nothing wrong in Stranraer or Livingston games. O'Brien wouldn't have been any different. 

Buchanan didn't exactly hit the ground running with us either. He took some time to settle, but once he did he was invaluble.

Given that he's just stepped up to full-time, is playing for a club with a larger fanbase with bigger expectations then I'm sure it will take him a bit of time to find his feet.

I imagine the decent St Mirren fans will understand that. They will also understand that certain players work at certain clubs and he may never come good in Paisley despite his stellar form for us. Buddies06smfc wont understand this because he's an utter simpleton.

Understood. Can't speak on behalf of the chap you name checked in your post however.

Just now, flyingscot said:

We've lost our 2 main goalscorers in that period and our main assist creater. Until they are replaced we aren't anywhere near that side. 

Mallan is the main loss. Loy scored a few goals, but we didn't create enough last night, regardless of who was up front. We've brought in McShane as a deep lying creative force, and to be fair to him he's been at the club for less than a week, played twice and been man of the match in one of those games. It's a team thing though - the intensity was missing last night in my view, which made it more difficult to create against a packed defence. We were too slow in our buildup at key times, which needs to improve, but I think in players such as McGinn, McShane, Magennis (when fit), Morgan and Smith, we should be creating more than enough chances. I think Reilly can score goals for us, as can Morgan, but we do need another striker to help with that.

Approach needs to be better agaist Thistle and beyond that.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd do this on Saturday unless we sign an amazing match-ready striker before then.

-----------Samson

Irvine-Baird-McK-Stelios

----McGinn-McShane

O'Keefe - Smith - Morgan

Looks good to me, as long as we approach the game correctly and up the tempo.

18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm still not convinced by the 4-4-2 (especially in last night's incarnation). I doubt we'll be playing that away from home, surely.

Not concerned re GK mate. Samson will do fine for us. Got stick again last night despite doing nothing wrong, and indeed keeping the score at 1-0 early on with a great stop. Young Stewart will want to push him for the position, so we should be ok. Never a big fan of 4-4-2 unless you have two real workers in the middle. McShane still finding his feet last night, would possibly stick another midfielder in there on Saturday to help us try to get some control of the game. Kirkpatrick looked bright when he came on - could he be worth playing in a slightly advanced midfield role?

I'd bring Baird in for Buchanan. Nothing against him, but he struggled last night and I'd give him time to adjust in terms of full time training and wait for his chance again. Stick with Reilly up front - I think he'll get goals. Looked quite sharp early on, but the lack of supply led to him falling out of the game. Need to get the ball to him, Morgan and Smith more quickly to enable them to do something.

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

-----------Samson

Irvine-Baird-McK-Stelios

----McGinn-McShane

O'Keefe - Smith - Morgan

I'd start Sutton 100%. Smith wide right and Kirkpatrick through the middle. 

Thing with Samson is you know what you're getting, which is both bad and good. He is a decent shot stopper, but (certainly imo) his distribution was poor. Will definitely do a job for us in this league, and with Stewart wide on the right (not his natural position) it seems that is the preferred out ball now. Not sure if they did this during the Livi game.

Long term you'd be hoping the other Stewart would be aimed to steal #1 though..

Just now, buddie06smfc said:

Striker Stewart seems to have this real knack of being 5'8" when he jumps yet he's starting at a height of 6'4". I think he looks decent enough with the ball at his feet. Not a winger though.

Walker McCall anyone ?