The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

There is no loyalty in football aside from fans who will always support their team. Managers and players are making a living in what is effectively a short career, they don't owe clubs anything as when it goes the other way clubs will drop managers and players like a stone.

If he stays and sees it out to the end of the season then great, but if he goes then good luck to him he's been brilliant for us. Get Robbie Neilson in to the end of the season.

Just now, elvis said:

Looks like he's off. The Board have been meeting all morning they would not be going that if he was staying in my opinion. 

They might be meeting to discuss a compensation figure, or they might be meeting to weigh up how much they can offer him to see out the season, with a new contract incorporating a get out clause from the summer onwards, if we go up.

Let's wait and see what comes out before we get too despondent. Whatever happens, i'm sure they have a plan going forward.

An experienced, esteemed and respected broadcaster like Chick Young isn't going to reveal the phone call he had with Jack Ross without JR's say so. Clearly Ross wants to go if he is pushing Chick to reveal this to the masses. He must be quite confident of being offered the job.

Anyway, who do the Maureens want to replace him? Ray McKinnon? John Hughes?

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

We are offering JR a deal which would make him the highest paid manager in our history.

Tell you what, if he turns Barnsley down he will be hailed as the greatest ever Saint.

Until he goes to The Rangers in the summer :lol:

What if he's just used Barnsley's interest to get a better contract out of St Mirren? We knew he was mercenary - we've known that since he was a player. I don't have an issue with it, btw. I've used interest from other employers in the past to negotiate pay rises.

Until he goes to The Rangers in the summer [emoji38]
What if he's just used Barnsley's interest to get a better contract out of St Mirren? We knew he was mercenary - we've known that since he was a player. I don't have an issue with it, btw. I've used interest from other employers in the past to negotiate pay rises.

Aye then we'll treat him the way we treat cup winning goal scorer Ian Ferguson [emoji23].

Maybe, it has certainly spooked the fans and probably the board. The interest seems genuine though. He would be due a pay rise if we get promoted anyway.

We need to keep him till the summer. Nothing personal against James Fowler but even though we are close to winning the league I just don't trust anyone else to get us over the line

Probably wouldn't even touch the sides of the offer down there, not to mention any potential keep them up bonus.
Sounds like he is seriously considering going.

No it won't but we need to make an effort.

I think he's staying, gut feeling. Maybe hope more than anything else. I think he'll want to finish the job here first.

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We are offering JR a deal which would make him the highest paid manager in our history.

Tell you what, if he turns Barnsley down he will be hailed as the greatest ever Saint.

Gordon Scott is dipping right into his own pocket I hear.

11 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

And it still won't come close to what they offer. 

7 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Probably wouldn't even touch the sides of the offer down there, not to mention any potential keep them up bonus.

Sounds like he is seriously considering going.

It won't, but might be enough to tempt him to stay til the summer, knowing there will no doubt be more interest, with other lucrative offers coming his way. Indeed there is already interest according to some, from big clubs up here.

All up to Jack now, and I think he'll stay on.