The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, McG said:

I'm confident Jack will stay until the end of the season at least.

I work next to a relative of his who reckons the same. (No ITK, just his opinion). I don't think a move down south is that appealing to him either right now.

Edited by wee_bairn

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That's not true.  I've went to a few job interviews as a firm maybe because I wanted a feel for if I liked a place or not and decided afterwards that it's not for me. Some I was offered, some I wasn't but had made my own mind up already, regardless.  

Even if he has no intentions of going for it, he's at the very least, done Barnsley the courtesy of talking to them. That doesn't  automatically mean he wants away. In any other walk of life,  it'd be  ridiculous to suggest that another company would want to speak to you and offer you a wad more money but you'd reject them out of hand without at least hearing them out and meeting them to have a chat. No one would do that. 

Only ever having been for one job interview, I'm maybe not in the best position to judge this, but it doesn't seem right to me.

If Jack had NO intention of going, why waste Barnsley's time/money  by going down for an overnight stay, and then a 3 hour interview.

He could have spoken to them on the phone or Skype, thanked them very much for their interest and wished them well in their search for a new manager and their quest to stay up.

Then got back to preparing for a huge game this weekend.

The fact that with Livvy a few days away he takes so much time out of his week as a 'courtesy', nope, don't get it.

As I said earlier, I've no problem him leaving for a much bigger pay day and bigger stage. All my previous post was saying was that if he had actually gone down there for a day and a half it meant that he actually wanted the job.

All well and good talking about this 'interview' as though it's a done deal. Where's the evidence?

The club have came out and unequivocally said that they have not had contact from Barnsley; the only papers reporting on this are sh*terags (and a number of other groups quoting them), and the only source for this "three hour interview and overnight stay" is one guy on this forum. Until I see some concrete evidence then I don't believe a bit of it!

Remember all the news reports saying that JR had gone to Spain to meet the director of Dundee, and it turned out to be a number of outlets echoing a cock-and-bull story from the Dundee Telegraph (a newspaper which has the journalistic integrity and language skills of an angry toddler).

Sounds like dribbling mess, knicker-wetting talk to me.
Having saved your rabble from oblivion, Jack Ross could f**k everyone at the club's wife, mother and granny and should still be sent away with a massive thank you.

The absolute state of that.

[emoji8].

Most of us have fantasised about that to be honest.

All well and good talking about this 'interview' as though it's a done deal. Where's the evidence?
The club have came out and unequivocally said that they have not had contact from Barnsley; the only papers reporting on this are sh*terags (and a number of other groups quoting them), and the only source for this "three hour interview and overnight stay" is one guy on this forum. Until I see some concrete evidence then I don't believe a bit of it!
Remember all the news reports saying that JR had gone to Spain to meet the director of Dundee, and it turned out to be a number of outlets echoing a cock-and-bull story from the Dundee Telegraph (a newspaper which has the journalistic integrity and language skills of an angry toddler).

Chick Young said he was just off the phone to JR who stated talks had just finished last night.

I know he's not the most popular but if that was to be false why would Chick want to sour relations with the club because they could easily ban him from the stadium.

20 minutes ago, JimmyMirren said:

A BBC Sport reporter who covers Yorkshire tweeted about it last night. Given he'll be closer to Barnsley than most of us, I doubt he'd just randomly make it up. In fact I've never met the guy and I can say that he didn't - if you were going to link a random name to a club it would be far more exotic than Jack.

I've no doubt that there's interest. It's just a matter whether or not the interest being as strong as made out, and whether or not Jack fancies it.

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Chick Young said he was just off the phone to JR who stated talks had just finished last night.

I know he's not the most popular but if that was to be false why would Chick want to sour relations with the club because they could easily ban him from the stadium.

Chick's only motivation is getting a scoop, and he's got things comically wrong before. Not saying he's wrong here, but I wouldn't take what he says as gospel.

Personally, I'm sure Jack will stay.

Chick's only motivation is getting a scoop, and he's got things comically wrong before. Not saying he's wrong here, but I wouldn't take what he says as gospel.

True, but it's pretty horrific even for him he is saying JR phoned him after the interview and it turns out talks didn't even take place.

Would be looking for a life time ban and scraping his mug off that 87 wall painting in the town centre [emoji23].

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

True, but it's pretty horrific even for him he is saying JR phoned him after the interview and it turns out talks didn't even take place.

Would be looking for a life time ban and scraping his mug off that 87 wall painting in the town centre emoji23.png.

It's bizarre for him to tell people about a private phone call, and I personally wouldn't be happy if he'd done that to me.

His big baw face on that mural almost spoils the whole thing.

Jack has no doubt been down for talks, but so have a number of other managers. I'm sure we'll get clarification on the situation today.

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It's bizarre for him to tell people about a private phone call, and I personally wouldn't be happy if he'd done that to me.

His big baw face on that mural almost spoils the whole thing.

Jack has no doubt been down for talks, but so have a number of other managers. I'm sure we'll get clarification on the situation today.

So would you prefer it if he just kept what he knew to himself? 

Jack wouldn't have phoned a broadcast journalist (or answered a call from Chick) if he didn't want what was said know by a wider audience. He could've asked for it to be off the record, but evidently didn't.

Chick Young deserves a lot of the stick he gets, but I'm not sure reporting some pretty big news from St Mirren is deserving of any stick. Heck, most of us on here would far rather hear about St Mirren, Queen of the South and Dunfermline on the radio than the usual OF snoozefest.

21 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Agreed.

Wasn't Chick 100% sure that McInnes was going to that other team he supports? Look how right he was there...

At the end of the day he is a journalist and his job is to comment on speculation. The only sources we have up until now have been the Record and the Sun, which have then been quoted or debated on by the likes of the BBC, SkySports and some of the other papers.

I'd take anything said by the press with a pinch of salt (bucketloads), and wait for the club to  put out any news through the official lines. I personally don't think he'll be going anywhere though

18 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Jack wouldn't have phoned a broadcast journalist (or answered a call from Chick) if he didn't want what was said know by a wider audience. He could've asked for it to be off the record, but evidently didn't.

Chick Young deserves a lot of the stick he gets, but I'm not sure reporting some pretty big news from St Mirren is deserving of any stick. Heck, most of us on here would far rather hear about St Mirren, Queen of the South and Dunfermline on the radio than the usual OF snoozefest.

Possibly right regarding the info getting out, but not sure he would've wanted Chick spewing that he'd phoned him and that he was the source! There are other ways of getting info out rather than naming your source as the guy in question.

9 hours ago, kanyewestbank said:

St Mirren have allowed him to build his own team at considerable expense,improved his contract at considerable expense.How about he does St Mirren the courtesy of not fucking off down south at the first sniff of a bigger gig ? 

He doesn't owe you lot a fucking thing.

1 minute ago, Randy Giles said:

Correct. It;s swings and roundabouts with managers. If he hadn't done the trick last season there's every chance he'd have been sacked, as a few others have been in recent years. I wouldn't begrudge him a move which benefits him and his family hugely. I think he'll stay for now though...

He also talks as if he got an improved contract as some sort of charity. He got that contract because they thought he was worth it, and they knew the risks of him leaving when he signed it.

The board gave him room to improve the squad because they thought it could be improved. Not as a special favour. Once again, they knew the risks, and likely those risks have paid off.

It's a fairly pathetic attitude all ends up.

36 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Quite agree.  Jack Ross is savvy enough and experienced enough at dealing with the media to know that anything said to a journalist or broadcaster is liable to be made known unless he or the other party stressed it was strictly off the record.  

5 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

He also talks as if he got an improved contract as some sort of charity. He got that contract because they thought he was worth it, and they knew the risks of him leaving when he signed it.

The board gave him room to improve the squad because they thought it could be improved. Not as a special favour. Once again, they knew the risks, and likely those risks have paid off.

It's a fairly pathetic attitude all ends up.

Yep. We're all reaping the benefits of the investment in the squad and the faith we've paid in Ross. Managers will always move on - if you have a good one, they might get poached. If you have a shit one, then you're doing badly and they'll get bagged eventually.

We might go up - we might come back down again. Those things may or may not have happened with or without Jack Ross at the helm.

What's more important is that we are now self-evidently a well-run club once more, with an ambitious chairman who (by and large) communicates well with the fans and backs the manager to bring in the players he wants. Long may that continue.

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

This in spades. He worked his bollocks off getting us out of a mess, and turned us into a team now contending for the title.

He could have fucked off to Dundee. He took a sensible (in my opinion) decision to stay and try to win something. I hope he stays till the summer at least but if he is going to go he doesn't owe us a thing.