djchapsticks

The shinier, improved St. Mirren FC 2017/18 Thread

22 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I said it's unlikely Barnsley would go for Ross because of the other far more experienced candidates, that is in no way at odds with the assumption that if he continues to do well he'll get linked to championship jobs. Almost the entirety of your post is about proving some conflict in my opinion; having my cake as it were.

All you've done though is correlate. Is Ross capable of managing at that level? Probably. Would teams be interested? Probably. Will there be Championship jobs available in the future? Probably. Is a successful manager going to get linked with them? Probably.

I hope that clears it up a little for you. As for the rest of your post...

"lashing out", that's hilarious. I'm stating the blindingly obvious, and tempering it with what the guy himself has said. I don't see anywhere I have been confrontational or down right rude. So I'm not sure of the validity of this claim.

I have at no point entirely dismissed the possibility.

So, really, I should give you a +1 simply for taking the time and dissecting what is going on here, however I can't because you've misinterpreted (misappropriated/misunderstood, take your pick of the least inflammatory terms) what I have said. Who knows, maybe this is an issue with my communication. I mean I don't feel I have been unclear.

What is entirely clear is that there are an absolute shit ton of people on here who have never listened to a Jack Ross interview in their lives, who are now postulating his moves based on their own grubby desires for more money.

This from the man who had a go at somebody else for being condescending yesterday :lol:

And you base that on what in particular?

Because most managers will have ambitions to move up the ladder rather than stay where they are.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

About what?

Like I said no one is being ridiculous about it. Whether you agree with them or not.

Two fold, really.

Our own fanbase are notorious knicker wetters. I mean, I love them in a misanthropic manner, but we really we can be our own worst enemy. The idea that as things are going well it's all going to go tits up and a possible link with Ross is given far more weight than it really should.

The other side is fans who have never listened to Ross making huge assumptions. Now just because I've followed his comments doesn't make me an expert on the matter but I'd maybe consider that it provides more of an insight. The whole "well it's money" without actually justifying that is also part of that exasperation.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

This from the man who had a go at somebody else for being condescending yesterday :lol:

I'd love for you to point out anywhere in my reply that is condescending. I thought I was being entirely fair, the poster was claiming some dichotomy. It didn't exist.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Because most managers will have ambitions to move up the ladder rather than stay where they are.

So every manager will take a bigger job no matter what. Doesn't matter the current position they are in, their home life and family, doesn't matter the league position they are going to or the longevity of managers in that league. Absolutely none of that matters.

So every manager will take a bigger job no matter what. Doesn't matter the current position they are in, their home life and family, doesn't matter the league position they are going to or the longevity of managers in that league. Absolutely none of that matters.

The league position they are in is completely irrelevant if the offer comes from a significantly higher league. Do you think Ross would genuinely think "I can't take on a Championship club, because I'm sitting comfy at the top of the Scottish Championship"? Family is obviously a personal thing. I'm talking about it in a football sense though. If a manager believes in his own ability I doubt they will consider the longevity of other managers (unless it was perhaps the Leeds job).

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'd love for you to point out anywhere in my reply that is condescending. I thought I was being entirely fair, the poster was claiming some dichotomy. It didn't exist.

You're claiming to know better than everyone because you've watched Jack Ross' interviews.

The club are quoted in the Herald this morning as being "confident of keeping Jack " in this case until the end of the season at least. This is the exact same quote used when Dundee made an approach in the summer . Gut feeling is he won't be going anywhere for now , even if he's offered the job at Barnsley. Rumour is at least one big club have notified St Mirren of their interest in Ross , and will pursue him during the close season !

Money isn't everything in life. Not to everyone at any rate. Plenty of people have refused more lucrative jobs for any number of reasons. And taken poorer paid jobs over greater paid. The best job I ever had was also one of the poorest paid I ever had (DJ in Spain). There are pluses and minuses in every decision and money plays its part.  There is also family, opportunity and loyalty. Derek McInnes (twice) is an example.

Jack has many young players who have relied on him and he has attracted players to St Mirren that would not be there if it wasn't for him personally - would he abandon them? He has won nothing in his career so far so would he give up an amazing turnround from relegation certainties to Championship winners with only 12 games left? If he doesn't take Barnsley will there be no more offers? I think there will be. There is not much time and no window at Barnsley to help save them. If he doesn't and gets bumped he will get another job but with a tarnished reputation. If he stays in Paisley and wins the League his reputation is upheld and his stock rises. And he can maybe have a better opportunity in better circumstances at the start of a new season or transfer window than with only a few months to go with his hands tied to a squad he didn't choose.

Difficult decision if he has to make one but I would not assume he will automatically take it if offered. Just like the Dundee offer I think Jack will reject it and enhance his reputation a bit longer attracting better opportunities.  He will go and some point but with only 3 months to save a club from relegation is not the best set of circumstances.

All of the stuff about St. Mirren and ties there will probably be irrelevant in the end. However, that point about Barnsley's position and what he could do there is a fair one. It's not easy to just assume he gets kept on if Barnsley go down, and the move would be for nothing. If Jack Ross decides it's worth that risk, I don't think there's anything that'd hold him. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn it down because of the risk if he was offered.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

The club are quoted in the Herald this morning as being "confident of keeping Jack " in this case until the end of the season at least. This is the exact same quote used when Dundee made an approach in the summer . Gut feeling is he won't be going anywhere for now , even if he's offered the job at Barnsley. Rumour is at least one big club have notified St Mirren of their interest in Ross , and will pursue him during the close season !

If it's Sevco as rumored, it would be interesting to say the least how their hoardes would react to Jack being on record as calling Brendan Rodgers his managerial role model not so very long ago.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If it's Sevco as rumored, it would be interesting to say the least how their hoardes would react to Jack being on record as calling Brendan Rodgers his managerial role model not so very long ago.

Both Glasgow clubs are interested.

I think the position of Barnsley is the only fly in the ointment, they are struggling and facing relegation. If they were say 12th and safe bar an alarming dip then it's a no brainer. 

Plus he has a family which will also be a consideration. 

20 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

All of the stuff about St. Mirren and ties there will probably be irrelevant in the end. However, that point about Barnsley's position and what he could do there is a fair one. It's not easy to just assume he gets kept on if Barnsley go down, and the move would be for nothing. If Jack Ross decides it's worth that risk, I don't think there's anything that'd hold him. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn it down because of the risk if he was offered.

I don't see any risk. He will be offered at the very least a 2 year deal. If he was sacked in the Summer he will pocket a hefty sum.

If he was available in the Summer back in Scotland  and your club was looking for a manager, he would instantly be a front runner.

Just now, Colkitto said:

I don't see any risk. He will be offered at the very least a 2 year deal. If he was sacked in the Summer he will pocket a hefty sum.

If he was available in the Summer back in Scotland  and your club was looking for a manager, he would instantly be a front runner.

It's a hefty sum after a failed job. He'd have a mark against his name to future employers, and while yes, he'd probably be offered jobs up here, if his ambition IS to go to England, why f**k his future chances down there?

It's also a NEEDLESS risk. If he gets offered the job, and he holds on for a bit, probably even just a matter of months, he could get offered a better job with a transfer window and a full season ahead. The end of the season isn't far off. He'll have had two great seasons which ended with a title.

I could easily see him, while not necessarily being loyal as such, staying where he is. I just don't think the risk is worth the gain.

1 minute ago, Randy Giles said:

It's a hefty sum after a failed job. He'd have a mark against his name to future employers, and while yes, he'd probably be offered jobs up here, if his ambition IS to go to England, why f**k his future chances down there?

It's also a NEEDLESS risk. If he gets offered the job, and he holds on for a bit, probably even just a matter of months, he could get offered a better job with a transfer window and a full season ahead. The end of the season isn't far off. He'll have had two great seasons which ended with a title.

Exactly. Has to be right club at right time. No point going down, getting relegated and risking ruining your reputation if England is his ambitions long term.