The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

22 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
39 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:
Well you better get your nappy out there is truth in the story Jack is who they want question is does Jack want them. Next 48 hours we will know. 

Took a few readings but got there eventually.

Barnsley owners are not rich they are mega rich their last two managers were up and coming moved on too better things. However if you are a pompous judgemental educationally bore then you probably should go back to your wee world of judgmental snobbery. 

This will definitely come down to money. If offered Ross would be mad to knock it back, both financial and career wise. 

I'm sure he would like to see the job at St Mirren through, he seems that sort of a guy.  But you have to take your chances in football - I'm sure he will take this job if offered

8 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Who  is Ross's assistant?

James Fowler. I'd give the Saints job to him, if he didn't go with Ross.

47 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

A risk to staying employed in his next job for the medium term, but an absolute no brainer financially. Worst case scenario, he signs a 2 year deal, fails to keep them up, gets binned in the summer, gets his contract paid up and heads back up the road having pocketed serious coin to find another gig, easily.

If that was the case, I'd have him back at Saints, no bother :lol:

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

James Fowler. I'd give the Saints job to him, if he didn't go with Ross.

If that was the case, I'd have him back at Saints, no bother :lol:

Saints fans talk a lot about him being intelligent. If he was, he'd leave Fowler as caretaker, go to Barnsley, pocket the coin. If it goes well, Fowler can join him in the summer. If not, he skips back up with his bags of money to pick up where he left off.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Barnsley are a massive club compared to St Mirren .

Ross will treble his wages and get at least a 3  year contract  so then will be assured of a huge pay out if sacked .

All about if Ross wants the challenge or just wants to play it safe at St Mirren 

Play it safe seriously? Not looked at your profile take it your not a Saints fan ? One thing I'm confident of Ross will recommed the right man for the job he has feelings for Saints , however he has feelings for the players that signed for him ( a lot ) Ross has integrity in abundance its not a foregone conclusion. 

27 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Play it safe seriously? Not looked at your profile take it your not a Saints fan ? One thing I'm confident of Ross will recommed the right man for the job he has feelings for Saints , however he has feelings for the players that signed for him ( a lot ) Ross has integrity in abundance its not a foregone conclusion. 

Aye, he'll turn down the chance of quadrupling his weekly wage because hes best mates with Stephen McGinn. 

His job at St Mirren is done, you're promoted.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, he'll turn down the chance of quadrupling his weekly wage because hes best mates with Stephen McGinn. 

His job at St Mirren is done, you're promoted.

Not yet we're not, if he leaves now he doesn't have a title on his CV. The tale of Jackie McNamara when he left Thistle should perhaps be a warning not to just chase the money. 

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Not yet we're not, if he leaves now he doesn't have a title on his CV. The tale of Jackie McNamara when he left Thistle should perhaps be a warning not to just chase the money. 

You are. And I highly doubt English Championship clubs rate the Scottish Championship title any higher than the Johnstones Paint Trophy.

9 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Should you not get back to making cardboard cut outs for your stands :lol:

Was that not about twenty years ago? I'd be aswell mocking you over Love Street being a ramshackle if that's the level we're at. 

Obviously I don't want Ross to go.

However if he's offered anything like the packages that have been speculated on here, I wouldn't hold it against him if he does leave.

And I hope if that does happen, the Saints support act with a bit of perspective, thank him for the last amazing year, and wish him well.

13 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Obviously I don't want Ross to go.

However if he's offered anything like the packages that have been speculated on here, I wouldn't hold it against him if he does leave.

And I hope if that does happen, the Saints support act with a bit of perspective, thank him for the last amazing year, and wish him well.

I could never forget what he's done for us. He's going to be our first manager for three decades to move to a bigger job. Feels weird, but can't begrudge him the move, whether it's Barnsley or wherever.

Shame managers don't attract the same sort of transfer fees players do. (I mean other players at other clubs, obviously.)

So have we got past the point of some saints fans going, "Listen to what he has said for the last year", and other less informed funsters giving it the "it's all for the money"?

This seems to be the split here. Those who have actually followed what Ross has said and done, and those who know f**k all but are immediately ITK because there might be some money involved.

If it turned out he was offered the job then it'd be a no-brainer to take it. Even if he failed to keep Barnsley up they'd surely be pushing for the League 1 title next season. I reckon that would be more appealing than a relegation battle in our top league tbh. The possibility of beating the OF and therefore having a chance of a massive club offering him a deal might be enough for him to stay though... [emoji38]

Fowler would be a poor appointment. He took the majority of his last season with us trying to figure out his best starting 11 (I think only twice did we have the same line-up for 2 weeks in a row). He won't have that sort of time in the top league.

If it turned out he was offered the job then it'd be a no-brainer to take it. Even if he failed to keep Barnsley up they'd surely be pushing for the League 1 title next season. I reckon that would be more appealing than a relegation battle in our top league tbh. The possibility of beating the OF and therefore having a chance of a massive club offering him a deal might be enough for him to stay though... [emoji38]

Fowler would be a poor appointment. He took the majority of his last season with us trying to figure out his best starting 11 (I think only twice did we have the same line-up for 2 weeks in a row). He won't have that sort of time in the top league.

Thankfully Fowler wouldn't need to tinker with a winning formula.

He wouldn't be my first choice as a replacement but I hope he'd be able to see us through to the summer and hopefully get us promoted.