The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

48 minutes ago, Stu said:

It must be Dobbie and Quitongo because a guy on Black & White Army keeps saying we should sign them and that's how football works.

There was a guy on our Facebook yesterday who reckoned we were about to sign Derek Lyle, James McFadden and (wait for it...) Kris Commons.

The internet is a scary place.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Nope McG is my mate with the info I'm trying to get him to spill the beans.

Hear say we are chasing a striker negotiations are on going but you are right Mcg is normally bang on. Personally I don' see it as a prioity given that end of the park is not a problem. Would like to see Hill starting teams attack us it is one of our problem areas a hard tackling ball winner in midfield is needed in my opinion could Hill be the answer? 

14 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Can I ask why ? Not that I disagree if we are building for next season personally don' t see it as desperation stats confirms that. 

Reilly is on 21 goals if he gets an injury we really only have Mullen. Sutton won't feature much as it's become abundantly clear Jack doesn't rate him, so I would be concerned if we didn't bring in another striker. 

No offence to Hill but the guy has never played a first team competitive game  - why do some folk think he is the new midfield messiah?  He may well be very good but we have no idea at the moment. To suggest we kick McShane out and replace him with Hill is pretty disrespectful I reckon. By all means bring the guy on with 20 mins to go or whatever and see what he can do but we have a current team that has got us 8 points clear in the title race - don't fix what ain't broken.

The only reason I would start with Hill is because I'd like to give McGinn a rest. The obvious caveats here is that most have no idea whether Hill is any good or not - although presumably Ross has had him watched, so it might be a blank slate to us, but not to him (and Fowler).

We could play Flynn wide and a midfield two of Magennis and McShane although I'd be worried we might get bullied with that pairing.

11 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

The only reason I would start with Hill is because I'd like to give McGinn a rest.

I thought he looked absolutely knackered on Saturday. Maybe this weekend isn't the time to rest him, but soon.

Actually, when's the next round of the cup? We've played more games then most teams so don't need to catch up - he can relax then!

Edit: 10th Feb. Weekend off. Could prove to be crucial.

Edited by Coventry Saint

We can't even contemplate dropping / resting our captain and the main thrust of our midfield in what is a massive game, that's billy big baws stuff, an attitude that will cost us dearly. As Cov Saint says he will get a rest in a couple of weeks same as all the rest of the squad until then it's full steam ahead as anything less will see us slip up. 

We can't afford to start a game against the Pars without McGinn as they are one of the few teams to have bullied us all over midfield.

Despite what the Pars fans are saying they will be well up for this and very dangerous opponents. You only need to look at the last game at EEP.  We need McGinn and McShane at their best if we are to get anything from this game.

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

If those comments are directed at my previous reply, then can I add that it's the reason why I could see Hill starting, not that I am advocating he does. McGinn looks like he needs a rest and has done for a few weeks.

It wasn't directed at you mate, just an observation, McGinn probably could do with a rest but he's vital to how we perform in midfield. In an ideal situation we get to a point where we get our noses in front and maybe then take him off and see the game out with the boy Hill taking his place.  It's just an opinion that we need our best player starting in such a big game. 

4 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

The only reason I would start with Hill is because I'd like to give McGinn a rest. The obvious caveats here is that most have no idea whether Hill is any good or not - although presumably Ross has had him watched, so it might be a blank slate to us, but not to him (and Fowler).

We could play Flynn wide and a midfield two of Magennis and McShane although I'd be worried we might get bullied with that pairing.

Jack knew Kirkpatrick pretty well and that did not work out as a midfield option. Hill is a complete unknown to be thrown in to replace our Captain. We need McGinn against the Pars. They all have a wee holiday coming up soon thanks to the Dons. :)

Jack knew Kirkpatrick pretty well and that did not work out as a midfield option. Hill is a complete unknown to be thrown in to replace our Captain. We need McGinn against the Pars. They all have a wee holiday coming up soon thanks to the Dons. [emoji4]
Hill is not a complete unknown to JR. As he states in today's PDE having seen both of our signings play many times, he'd have no hesitation pitching them in on Friday.

On 23/01/2018 at 12:19, Stu said:

It must be Dobbie and Quitongo because a guy on Black & White Army keeps saying we should sign them and that's how football works.

Things progressing now. Seemingly we're signing Simon Murray on the basis he missed a sitter last night and Hibs have signed some new strikers recently.