The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Going by div's tweets it's Ryan Flynn, who was released by Oldham earlier today. Started off at Falkirk, who sold him to Liverpool and had a fairly lengthy spell at Sheffield United (where he'd have played alongside Stephen McGinn).

Recognise the name but that's about it.

Edited by Stu

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Going by div's tweets it's Ryan Flynn, who was released by Oldham earlier today. Started off at Falkirk, who sold him to Liverpool and had a fairly lengthy spell at Sheffield United (where he'd have played alongside Stephen McGinn).

Better late than never.

I think he should do well in this division and will fit in with how you play. He can be unplayable on his day but was very inconsistent in our relegation season. He's extremely lightweight and can hide in games when it's not going his teams way; which for a relegation side was like a man down at times. I hope the lad does well and helps you on to win the league. He played as a winger or behind the front two for Falkirk. 

Edited by wee_bairn

Ryan was a very good player with quick feet and a willingness to take players on down he wing.

Bearing in Ming this was around 7 years ago.

He played for a bit at RWB for Sheff Utd but his position with us was generally on the right wing in and 442 or on the right of a 3 behind a lone striker.

He’d be an excellent signing for you guys.

1 hour ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Ryan was a very good player with quick feet and a willingness to take players on down he wing.

Bearing in Ming this was around 7 years ago.

He played for a bit at RWB for Sheff Utd but his position with us was generally on the right wing in and 442 or on the right of a 3 behind a lone striker.

He’d be an excellent signing for you guys.

I feel your memory is being very selective here. 

http://www.owtb.co.uk/topic/50308-flynn-gone/?page=2  

^ That's exactly how I remembered him. When he dropped down into the old 1st division with us he never showed anything to me that he was too good for that division. Whenever there was pressure on him he couldn't perform and he had the battle and heart of a field mouse. Don't get me wrong; when you are playing the diddies of the league, like Falkirk and Brechin, I'm sure he will look the business. In his 5 league goals that season, only 1 came against a team not in the bottom 3.

Edited by wee_bairn

17 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I feel your memory is being very selective here. 

http://www.owtb.co.uk/topic/50308-flynn-gone/?page=2  

^ That's exactly how I remembered him. When he dropped down into the old 1st division with us he never showed anything to me that he was too good for that division. Whenever there was pressure on him he couldn't perform and he had the battle and heart of a field mouse. Don't get me wrong; when you are playing the diddies of the league, like Falkirk and Brechin, I'm sure he will look the business. In his 5 league goals that season, only 1 came against a team not in the bottom 3.

And yet he managed to play regularly for teams at much higher level than our current level.................................

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

And yet he managed to play regularly for teams at much higher level than our current level.................................

I don't think I've been overly negative and my assessment is only  based on his performances in the navy blue. I also mentioned in my first post that I think he will do far better in a team at the other end of the table.

He's only played at Sheffield United and Oldham since leaving Falkirk; one set of supporters have the same view as myself and Sheffield United were stuck in League 1 then binned a lot of players, including Flynn, and went on to win the league. 

He's a top guy off the park and I really hope he does well for you as he certainly has the natural ability. I'd much prefer St. Mirren to win the league this season.