The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 27/08/2017 at 16:12, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

No one is suggesting that, but based on what we had saw personally, Gallacher seemed a good enough option. Our last top flight 30 something journeyman keeper was an utter disaster from day 1, he had a more impressive CV than Samson did.

If you are talking about Mark Brown I'd argue the point about him having a more impressive CV than Samson.

If you are talking about Mark Brown I'd argue the point about him having a more impressive CV than Samson.

Really?

Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell, Hibs, Killie amongst others. 2 Premier League winners medals and a League Cup medal. He might not have played a great deal outwith Inverness and Ross County but I'd say it's a more impressive CV than Samson.

Either way, the point I was making was that an impressive CV means nothing really, as we found out.

49 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Really?

Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell, Hibs, Killie amongst others. 2 Premier League winners medals and a League Cup medal. He might not have played a great deal outwith Inverness and Ross County but I'd say it's a more impressive CV than Samson.

Either way, the point I was making was that an impressive CV means nothing really, as we found out.

Take the point, and also conscious this is nothing much to do with St Mirren, but as you say he played little at most of those. I imagine Samson has far more top flight appearances than Brown. He has a Cup Winners medal from actually playing and he's been in Scotland squads.

You might not care, but if you gave me a choice between Samson and Brown as first choice keeper, I'd likely choose to kill myself.

Take the point, and also conscious this is nothing much to do with St Mirren, but as you say he played little at most of those. I imagine Samson has far more top flight appearances than Brown. He has a Cup Winners medal from actually playing and he's been in Scotland squads.

A quick check would suggest there isn't much in it. Infact from what I can see it looks like Brown may have more top flight appearances. Samson spent some time fannying about at Ayr and the likes.

Much of a muchness really.

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A quick check would suggest there isn't much in it. Infact from what I can see it looks like Brown may have more top flight appearances. Samson spent some time fannying about at Ayr and the likes.

Much of a muchness really.

According to Transfermarkt the stats look like this:

Craig Samson - 203 top tier games - 325 conceded - 43 clean sheets

Mark Brown - 177 top tier games - 237 conceded - 50 clean sheets

So aye, they are pretty similar. Although, statistically, Brown is better I guess :lol:

I love P&B. A website where discussing whether Mark Brown is worse than Craig Samson is considered perfectly normal.

Moving away from the top trumps of shite goalkeepers, I see this lad O'Keefe is supposedly heading out on loan. Is he ready for the Championship or is he more likely to head for League 1? If he can play up front and out wide and is any way creative, we'll take him. Please. 

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Moving away from the top trumps of shite goalkeepers, I see this lad O'Keefe is supposedly heading out on loan. Is he ready for the Championship or is he more likely to head for League 1? If he can play up front and out wide and is any way creative, we'll take him. Please. 

He's 19yo, a left winger, is a ginger (his nickname is "Jinky") and has pace like a greased whippet.

ETA he'll probably be playing tonight for the U20s vs Kilmarnock if you want to see him in the flesh. KO is 6pm, entry is free

Edited by Arch Stanton

44 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Has looked pretty good in the few times I have seen him - fast, attacks players and looks up for it unlike most of the other duds you signed from us. Would easily have O'Keefe over any of those other imposters. But as I said I have only seen him a couple of times.

19 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

He's 19yo, a left winger, is a ginger (his nickname is "Jinky") and has pace like a greased whippet.

ETA he'll probably be playing tonight for the U20s vs Kilmarnock if you want to see him in the flesh. KO is 6pm, entry is free

Just now, NorthBank said:

Has looked pretty good in the few times I have seen him - fast, attacks players and looks up for it unlike most of the other duds you signed from us. Would easily have O'Keefe over any of those other imposters. But as I said I have only seen him a couple of times.

Cheers, someone who is fast and attacks sounds ideal but unless Stevie Aitken calls me and asks me to do some scouting then I think I'll give the game a miss :lol:

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Cheers, someone who is fast and attacks sounds ideal but unless Stevie Aitken calls me and asks me to do some scouting then I think I'll give the game a miss :lol:

Jack wants workers in the team - guys that will put in a good shift by closing down, tracking back and supporting attacks. This is a very fit looking squad he has assembled. And O'Keefe fits the mould and has been promoted from the Development squad to the first team squad so Jack rates him which should be enough endorsement.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

O'Keefe is very promising and could be an ideal replacement for Morgan. Didn't Jack say his game and situational awareness is a bit lacking and needs development? 

I think he could cut it in Championship but L1 with a good side would be good for development. 

11 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

O'Keefe is very promising and could be an ideal replacement for Morgan. Didn't Jack say his game and situational awareness is a bit lacking and needs development? 

I think he could cut it in Championship but L1 with a good side would be good for development. 

We are currently utter powder puff in attack, I reckon someone with a bit of balls about them could walk into our starting 11 at the moment such are the options we have. Anyway, this is just me doing a hopeful scan of available players, I highly doubt we'll be in for him.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

We are currently utter powder puff in attack, I reckon someone with a bit of balls about them could walk into our starting 11 at the moment such are the options we have. Anyway, this is just me doing a hopeful scan of available players, I highly doubt we'll be in for him.

Okeefe will turn into a good player. However, if he's considered ready to play for a championship club then I'd prefer for him to stay where he is. A league 1 side where he can shine would be preferable just now to a struggling championship side.  Nathan Flanagan is doing well at E. Fife so there is no reason Connor can't be a similar success. 

Daily Record reporting that Swansea at going to pay £700k for that lad Gallacher from Falkirk.

I suppose on that basis, we'll be looking for £2m+ for Morgan then, given that Gallacher is still a dribbling mess from being schooled by Lewis a few weeks ago.

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Daily Record reporting that Swansea at going to pay £700k for that lad Gallacher from Falkirk.

I suppose on that basis, we'll be looking for £2m+ for Morgan then, given that Gallacher is still a dribbling mess from being schooled by Lewis a few weeks ago.

Assuming he was the left back, maybe the boy just had a bad day but he did get torn apart not just by Morgan but also by Cammy Smith before they swapped sides. Just wait till he has Alli, Sterling and Rashford running at him.

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Okeefe will turn into a good player. However, if he's considered ready to play for a championship club 

watched him last night for the u20's looks a good prospect needs to do a bit of work on final ball decision making seemed to want to always take the whole team on but definitely has something about him