The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 hours ago, Ric said:

When I first started supporting us, we were in the top 6 all the time. To me, this simply feels like a "return to the norm" rather than a successful season.

Something like 6 or 7 seasons in a row mid eighties is good going….but a return to the norm….

Lindsay Lohan Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Div said:

I think that's fair.

Whilst finishing top six is a good achievement there is still a sense of what might have been given that we've chucked away a huge number of points that we really shouldn't have.

We've lost more points to Livingston than any other team in the division this season, failed to win in Dingwall and lost at McDiarmid Park against a very poor St.Johnstone side.

No divine right to win any game but it's throwing away points like that (and of course the awful record against Killie) which has ultimately cost us a challenge for 4th.

If we still get 5th and qualify for Europe it will definitely be a successful season but if we come up short again and finish 6th it's hard to be overjoyed.

Suppose that says a lot for how far we've come but there's always the niggle that two of the bigger clubs being shit in the same season probably won't happen again for a good while anyway.

Whilst we have dropped some points against Livi etc it cant also be ignored the decisions that went against us when they were clear cut. The game at Dingwall for example with the clear handball. 

Football can be fine margins but you need luck too. 

39 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Whilst we have dropped some points against Livi etc it cant also be ignored the decisions that went against us when they were clear cut. The game at Dingwall for example with the clear handball. 

You're right, but I think all clubs will have decisions they can point to that'll they'll feel aggrieved they didn't get.

That one at Ross County was pretty bad, but the reason we didn't win that game is because Gogic passed the ball to Jordan White on the 18 yard line and James Scott missed a great chance at the death.

I feel this season, that whilst we've had some really good results and given a few teams a doing, we've lost so many games. When we go behind, it's difficult to see us coming back. Kilmarnock have lost 8 games this season, we've lost 14. That's more than Dundee, Hibs and Motherwell, and the same as Aberdeen. Only 2 more than St Johnstone. 

18 hours ago, AW saint said:

Last minute penalty away to Hearts not given at 1-0 down.

82nd minute penalty home to Hearts not given at 2-1 down.

3 goals chopped off against Hearts in 1-0 home win.

That's 2 points and +5 goal difference - and that's all just against one team 😄!

Frustrating as those things were, the only decision that has categorically changed a result was the double kick Aberdeen penalty that absolutely cost us 2 points earlier in the season.  

Will be very hard to take if we miss out on Europe if we miss out by 2 points.

19 hours ago, houston_bud said:

You're right, but I think all clubs will have decisions they can point to that'll they'll feel aggrieved they didn't get.

Surely you’re not including the Glasgow business partners?

19 hours ago, houston_bud said:

That one at Ross County was pretty bad, but the reason we didn't win that game is because Gogic passed the ball to Jordan White on the 18 yard line and James Scott missed a great chance at the death.

I feel this season, that whilst we've had some really good results and given a few teams a doing, we've lost so many games. When we go behind, it's difficult to see us coming back. Kilmarnock have lost 8 games this season, we've lost 14. That's more than Dundee, Hibs and Motherwell, and the same as Aberdeen. Only 2 more than St Johnstone. 

Indeed.

Most clubs will have decisions against them that they feel hard done by and have cost them a few points.

We are where we are because, after a strong start, we've been very, very average at best.

We shat the bed (again) against Kilmarnock and they're deservedly about to bag fourth spot.

We also failed miserably against the bottom three teams and haven't really laid a glove on either of the bigot brothers.

I think we've been quite fortunate that the likes of Motherwell, Hibs and Aberdeen have been so shite at times, otherwise they'd have overtaken us. I can't see those three being as bad next season.

As much as reaching the top six is a good achievement for us, I'm disappointed that we failed to put a sizeable points gap between us and the sixth placed team and that we're not competing with Kilmarnock for fourth place.

f we get fifth place and qualify for Europe then we've had a pretty good season. Without the European spot, then I'm in the disappointed camp.

2 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Surely you’re not including the Glasgow business partners?

Those delusional clowns will probably have the longest list of all. Ignoring every decision that went their way when they were struggling.